• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game mechanics you cannot live without

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Are there any game mechanics on Pokemon that if were removed, you'd seriously miss?

For me, the physical, special split and abilities. I definitely can't live without either of these mechanics. Playing without abilities isn't hard, but I'm grateful they exist.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Same. P/S split, Abilities, and I guess I could add Held Items, since they were introduced in Gen 2. I just stopped playing anything that doesn't have those features a long time ago. Gameplay feels so basic and dull without them.

Nature Mints, Ability Capsules/Patches, and infinite usage TMs were also fantastic QoL additions that I'd really miss, although the lack of them wouldn't stop me from playing a game provided that the game is good enough despite that.

Years
    • Seen today
    It feels odd playing Gen 1 with none of the Pokemon besides the nidorans having a set gender. It makes the pokemon you catch feel just a bit more personable. This isn't a defining feature though.

Other than that, I agree with Physical/Special split. I think this was the greatest change in the series.

Limited Bag Space is another issue with the early games. It's an annoyance trying to pick up an item and getting the message "...but the bag is full". Even as a player who sells items often, I still run into this message frequently when playing Generation 1 and 2.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    The Physical / Special split. I had no comprehension of how it worked before - I started at Gen III and it mentioned nothing in the large booklet that came with Emerald. I'd just kinda assumed something with "Punch" in it was physical whereas "Beam" would be special, for example.
    So once Gen IV came around and illustrated it for me, I had a much easier time and wouldn't constantly be baffled by the poor attacking output of my Pokémon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • If a pokemon game ever removes the running feature then I will not play it.

I can't even imagine a Pokemon game without running being a feature. Not being able to run in gens i and ii wasn't bad, though, since the framerate in those games was higher, but if it were removed in new games? No thanks. Walking is so slow.

When HG/SS introduced the ability to always run, I got mad when it was removed a generation later.

Also, Sword/Shield bringing back the bike made me realize I honestly can't live without the bike, either.

Years
  • The masuda method for me. Most of my postgame time is used for shiny breeding, and not being able to use MM would be absolutely awful and cut my play time by a lot. Shinies are just so incredibly fun to collect. \o/

Also bottle caps and ability capsules. God I love them. Getting a shiny or other Pokémon you're attached to but seeing that they have a bad nature (or you want to quickly modify their EVs without spending hours) was so stressful sometimes, so they were great additions.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Season was fascinating thing in the oveworld for BW/BW2, sadly they got rid season since gen 6 introduced and never be put back

How do I EVOVLE my DEERLING!?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    When HG/SS introduced the ability to always run, I got mad when it was removed a generation later..

This was so welcome - saved my B button and my thumbs. I couldn't believe that having finally got real use out of the touchscreen at the end of Gen IV (Pokétch is good, but my A button is visibly smaller than the others, touch screen menus would have saved this), they threw it all away with BW. Also means you don't have to constantly adjust your grip and/or keep putting away the stylus.

Years
  • HM Fly and its alternatives in the newer games (if it has them? I haven't been updated). I'm very risk-averse and It gives me a nice sense of comfort when exploring long dungeons.

Years
  • This was so welcome - saved my B button and my thumbs. I couldn't believe that having finally got real use out of the touchscreen at the end of Gen IV (Pokétch is good, but my A button is visibly smaller than the others, touch screen menus would have saved this), they threw it all away with BW. Also means you don't have to constantly adjust your grip and/or keep putting away the stylus.

I was really baffled auto run was removed too, not sure why? It seems like such a good feature to have and it being removed in BW was a little disappointing for sure. :x

pkmin3033

The EXP bar underneath the HP bar in battle.

It's such a minor change, and many JRPGs have no equivalent, but this makes grinding so much more bearable psychologically in Pokemon games - being able to see your progress towards the next level, gauge how much you need/how many battles it'll take, without wasting time by going into the menu to check the individual Pokemon's stats. It's been around since Gen II and honestly it's something I couldn't do without now and really appreciate them adding, precisely because it's something I don't see as often as I would like to in other RPGs.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    As someone mentioned, the running feature is a bless and I would miss it a lot
    Another thing I would miss is the breeding mechanics. It would be a pain to create a team with good IVs without breeding

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I really don't care about the Physical / Special split, although once you learn it, it does make the game easier. So I guess I'd hate for it to go away now *cough* I never understood it till Gen 6.... and I've played since Red and Blue lol.

Like others, removing run would just kill my interest in playing. I am glad we started starting with them. Like others said, it would be nice if we didn't have to mash the b button all the time.

Fishing..... oh boy.... while I love fishing, Sun and Moon just COMPLETELY killed it for me. I haven't fished at all in Sword and Shield because I hate how it is now. Why in the world did they make it fishing spots instead of just free form fishing.

Infinite TMs - Again... this killed me in Sword and Shield and now Sinnoh Remakes... why are we reverting back to some of the dumbest things in the game series?

Masuda Method - While I care nothing about IVs/EVs since I don't battle at all, it would suck for MM to be removed, although I have wondered if it actually has. I still have yet to get a Shiny in Galar from an egg and I am using the same ditto I've always used. Anyway, since Gen 5, I have shiny hunted, but I feel like if it was removed, I wouldn't hunt for shiny pokemon anymore.

Shiny Pokemon - I don't know if I'd like shiny pokemon being removed. I would probably end up going back to how it was in Sinnoh games and never touching it after I finish the dex. I will say that I wish that the would make a new type of shiny pokemon or something. The ribbons or achievement in Sword and Shield were a good start, but I don't think 90% of player if know what they are. I still don't really know what they are, I do know it is a special capture if you catch a certain pokemon at a certain time/weather.

But with us going toward internet more, I wish they would make seasonal wild pokemon and allow us to catch like special Christmas/Halloween/Season Color shiny pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    The bicycle and the ability to fly to towns that you have been too

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • For me, Pokémon simply wouldn't be Pokémon without the held items, abilities, and breeding system. It's probably one of the main reasons I never got too heavily into Pokémon Legends: Arceus or Pokémon Let's Go series. I also wouldn't be able to live without the basic functions in-game such as the fast travel system, be it riding on a Pokémon or a bike and the ability to fly.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Super training for me so grinding for EVs goes a lot faster, and the ability to use bottle caps to rid myself of the arduousness of maximising IVs, as well as nature changing herbs. I don't have to spend as much time fussing over natures and IVs knowing if I plan on using this pokemon past the main game I can just alter it using given in-game mechanics.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    There's nothing there that really makes or breaks a Pokémon game for me, partly because I enjoy playing a lot of games across generations so I'm just used to not having a bunch of things.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the lack of hyperspeed you can get in emulators? Like, long stretches of Pokémon are just so much more bearable when you're a lot faster than you normally are.

Back