• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
    So, you guys remember how ages ago I mentioned Naku and I were going to be doing a prequel to Reapers?

Reapers: Attack on Atlantis

General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

GM'd by gimmepie and Nakuzami

Thousands of years before the great civilisations of today, long before the Balance War fought between the Reapers and Harbingers, another great civilisation existed. The Atlantean people were a peaceful people who dwelled in island cities, they did not war with the other civilisations of the day and were never attacked for nobody on Earth could hope to topple them. They kept to themselves despite their power however.

For hundreds of years the Kingdom of Atlantis prospered and developed, however there is a reason that Atlantis exists only in legends in today's society for despite the kingdom's success it was doomed. The Atlanteans possessed power and technology that no other civilisations could obtain. The Reapers could no longer allow their existence as it upset the balance of the Earth, and so it was determined that on the day of the festival of Betsalel Atlantis would be destroyed.

This roleplay chronicles the final days of the kingdom of Atlantis as the Atlantean people fight desperately to survive the attack of the Reapers. Despite their superior power by human standards, the Atlanteans were greatly outmatched in this conflict.

It's coming

A link to the original for your convenience

I don't know anything about the precursor to this, nor do I really care as regardless I am intrigued.

I'll be joining! Prepare a spot for me sir, for when the RP goes up. I wish for it to be laced with gold and draped with flowers alongside other needless royalties.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    You know what? I decided I deserve an emblem for having my creation completely take over an entire section of PokeCommunity. *Clap clap* Make it happen people.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    May I ask you guys to cut out the Opening post quotes?

What exactly do you mean by this? If you're asking a moderator, it'd probably be best to message them personally to make sure they don't miss your request.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years

I remember you mentioning you weren't done with the Reapers universe, not so much that the next RP would be a prequel. Wasn't expecting that. Regardless...

ASDFGHJKLMOREREAPERSAAAAAAAAGAJNFANOSFOWFNOHDAIGYB

...Ahem... Just let it be known I'm excited for this, although I am a little disappointed I can't do anything Luka-related here. Maybe I'll actually expand upon Krieg's past, though it would probably be easier to just figure out a new character. I'll just have to wait until it's out to see the full OP.

Also, festival of Betsalel?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
    Ever since my return at PC, I always felt an emptiness in my heart. I only realized why when I saw him, sitting proudly on the RPL's splash. Now I know my goal for the rest of my life, to serve my only Lord and Savior, Blarzigord.

For real though, I'm back to RPing. Sorry for people I might(?) have let down by leaving abruptly but my dad would get angry whenever he saw me on the Internet because I failed two consecutive terms so I really couldn't stay. Sowwie and glad to be back!

Years
    Of course it does, dear. But I'm posting from my phone and can't be bothered to quote everything 8)

All good xD
    adventure called me dear, suck it guys the mods love me

I don't know anything about the precursor to this, nor do I really care as regardless I am intrigued.

I'll be joining! Prepare a spot for me sir, for when the RP goes up. I wish for it to be laced with gold and draped with flowers alongside other needless royalties.

Ever since our religious take over your posts have been amazing haha
    I'll look forward to having you, if you're curious there's a link to the original on the post.

You know what? I decided I deserve an emblem for having my creation completely take over an entire section of PokeCommunity. *Clap clap* Make it happen people.

Isn't there an emblem that says something about causing the destruction of PC?

I remember you mentioning you weren't done with the Reapers universe, not so much that the next RP would be a prequel. Wasn't expecting that. Regardless...

ASDFGHJKLMOREREAPERSAAAAAAAAGAJNFANOSFOWFNOHDAIGYB

...Ahem... Just let it be known I'm excited for this, although I am a little disappointed I can't do anything Luka-related here. Maybe I'll actually expand upon Krieg's past, though it would probably be easier to just figure out a new character. I'll just have to wait until it's out to see the full OP.

Also, festival of Betsalel?

Geras has embraced the hype xD
    Don't worry, this will not be my last foray into the world of Reapers. You'll get to play as Luka again soon enough (outside of Dreamland I mean).

Oh yeah, Betsalel is from Atlantis didn't I tell you that? xD
    He was quite the hero back in the day.

Ever since my return at PC, I always felt an emptiness in my heart. I only realized why when I saw him, sitting proudly on the RPL's splash. Now I know my goal for the rest of my life, to serve my only Lord and Savior, Blarzigord.

For real though, I'm back to RPing. Sorry for people I might(?) have let down by leaving abruptly but my dad would get angry whenever he saw me on the Internet because I failed two consecutive terms so I really couldn't stay. Sowwie and glad to be back!

WE GOT ANOTHER ONE, HELL YES.

Also, welcome back to the RPC. I don't remember if we have RPd before but it's always a happy occasion to see more people around this section.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    adventure called me dear, suck it guys the mods love me
    I think she said that in a sarcastic way. :)
    Isn't there an emblem that says something about causing the destruction of PC?
    But not the destruction of RPC! :p And nothing was really destroyed, technically. Maybe sanity but were there any to begin with?

You don't get to make that comment after your Ludicolo joke.
    Don't be a wet blanket. :c

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years

On the threshold of the Medieval Age, 1066, Vryheid is afire in bloody conflict! Here many people spill blood for turf and chop heads for freedom. Home to many cultures, is the Pangea of Vryheid. It is famed for it's riches, exotic cultures and imperial barbarity. Ports on these coast makes the your treasury swell. The North, Home to the men of the Mountains and Lakes, willing to pillage and murder to gain the Dagger Spire. The South, pressured by this unnerving move, preemptively strikes the north. Meanwhile the Raiders Of Samudra observe this conflict. Like a carrion, observe the carcass of the prey. A continent of knowledge, A peninsula of castles, a swathe of TOTAL WAR.

Pokémon have a power unknown, a power unhandled, used correctly, it could Rise a Empire, or Demolish a Nation. Sat upon the thrones of Vryheid are men of power, Men with pointy sticks and boulders are no longer the nature of war.
    Welcome to the World Of Pokemon! You will delve in deep to the grimey realism of the Dark Age Pokemon. These creatures are enslaved under the will of Kings. Join a world devided by chaos and pride. These Primary Kingdoms use all types of Pokemon for their Infrastructure, Normal Types and Fightings Types were the blood and soul of the Kingdom, but not only did they rest their entire country on Pokemon Slaves, Human slaves were used to be punching bags for battle hardening. Slaves would be chained to poles, while Pokemon flung them selves at the slaves, using many different Techniques to try and make them faint. If you did not belong to a country you belonged to slavers.
    Unfortunately, Pokemon are a privilige, and not all boys get them. Some of the poorer classes go with out . Many kingdoms tried to associate itself with a monotype-military, most soldiers were people who looked after and controlled their pokemon on the battlefield. In these places Pokemon did not stay by will, they were chained to their owner untill they learnt that running away was no option. Although to keep them in check, few higher ranking officers learned to shoot longbows, to kill run aways.

THE DARK AGE
    Mon ARCEUS et mon droit

VRYHEID:

KEY:
    Spoiler:

OPENING SCENARIO -
    You hail from the State Of Geargus, a band of nobles from the land have invited you to join them, your group shall be deserting the state of Geargus. Instead of being subject to torture by whatever country shall claim their land, you will be spared, and you will not be hunted by the other nations as this will be legal desertion. You are advised to pack your bags for a long march. Many people of the group have not got pokemon. The first stop for this factionless army shall be the forest, to capture pokemon and subdue them. After hunting your pokemon, you will be let loose into the throws of this world of Greed, Power and Pride. Your story shall be wrote from them on, make acquaintance with nobles, observe the barbaric nature of human and pokemon alike. And know that any mistake could change the course of your very life as you adventure in the land of the iron fist. This is The Dark Age.

My question to you is, Do you like this idea?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023

I wouldn't be interested in it. I feel like pokemon doesn't mix well with this whole dark grim aggressive middle ages setting. The way pokemon are handled confuses me a lot. Mechanic wise it might sound fun to have monotype armies, but when you look at it from a tactical perspective, only an idiot would make his army monotype. I think a straight up fantasy middle ages setting just doesn't work with pokemon. Pokemon have these magical abilities that would make the world so different, and this doesn't feel like it really lines up with that. The human slaves don't make an awful lot of sense, as pokemon would be better punching bags for pokemon. And with the introduction of longbow archers shooting people and pokemon, you kinda screw the mechanics of the pokemon world. If pokemon and people can use lethal force against each other, how strong are pokemon attacks? Could a single fire type just kill off hundreds of grass type? How dark and grim is this setting exactly?

I don't think you should abandon the idea, though. The fact that I dislike the setting is something personal, and I'm sure some people would love it. You would need to change the mechanics though, I feel, and set some definite limits.

That said, this got me thinking, I would totally love a Mystery dungeon RP in a medieval setting.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
    I wouldn't be interested in it. I feel like pokemon doesn't mix well with this whole dark grim aggressive middle ages setting. The way pokemon are handled confuses me a lot. Mechanic wise it might sound fun to have monotype armies, but when you look at it from a tactical perspective, only an idiot would make his army monotype. I think a straight up fantasy middle ages setting just doesn't work with pokemon. Pokemon have these magical abilities that would make the world so different, and this doesn't feel like it really lines up with that. The human slaves don't make an awful lot of sense, as pokemon would be better punching bags for pokemon. And with the introduction of longbow archers shooting people and pokemon, you kinda screw the mechanics of the pokemon world. If pokemon and people can use lethal force against each other, how strong are pokemon attacks? Could a single fire type just kill off hundreds of grass type? How dark and grim is this setting exactly?

I don't think you should abandon the idea, though. The fact that I dislike the setting is something personal, and I'm sure some people would love it. You would need to change the mechanics though, I feel, and set some definite limits.

That said, this got me thinking, I would totally love a Mystery dungeon RP in a medieval setting.

I get that, I realised that monotype armies were a tactical blunder half way through designing, you know? Well, I didn't post the Faction list, their armies are just accented around it and some have dual type. Some just don't have monotypes.
    Pokemon attacks are extremely powerful - against humans - with other pokemon are tough, It may take several Supereffective attacks on a Grotle. What exactly would change?

Longbows are exclusively for lords trying to capture pokemon, It injured them enough but will never kill them. Remember Bows need several years of training to be able to to get right.
    Please talk about what would they change? And don't make it go the happy fluffy aspect of pokemon now.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I get that, I realised that monotype armies were a tactical blunder half way through designing, you know? Well, I didn't post the Faction list, their armies are just accented around it and some have dual type. Some just don't have monotypes.
    Pokemon attacks are extremely powerful - against humans - with other pokemon are tough, It may take several Supereffective attacks on a Grotle. What exactly would change?

Longbows are exclusively for lords trying to capture pokemon, It injured them enough but will never kill them. Remember Bows need several years of training to be able to to get right.
    Please talk about what would they change? And don't make it go the happy fluffy aspect of pokemon now.

As I said, the tone is just a personal issue of mine, you don't have to worry about that at all.
    I already had some points, as more clarity on how the battle mechanics between humans and pokemon work, removing human punch bag slaves, and explaining catching mechanics better. The longbow idea seems to be exclusive for high ranking officers, and I don't see how it keeps the pokemon in check as they could literally kill them in seconds. Longbows also don't seem that effective against a lot of pokemon, and they seem already awfully hard to catch with how mobile most of them are. Do people battle alongside and against pokemon, or are soldiers merely to control the way stronger pokemon? I would like to see some more information on those mechanics, and some extra world building. I have no idea how this world works, outside of the slave trade, and that pokemon get treated like dicks. Although I assume you were planning on that later, so I can see why you didn't include that.

How subtle are you guys with naming your characters? Could someone figure out the powers/personality of the character by looking at the name, or do you guys prefer to give them 'normal' names.

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
    How subtle are you guys with naming your characters? Could someone figure out the powers/personality of the character by looking at the name, or do you guys prefer to give them 'normal' names.

Character naming has always been hell for me. Back in my old days of RPing, I used to call every single one of my RP characters Ryan. Whether they were a trainer, Pokemon, monster, wizard, always their name was Ryan.

Recently however as I've tried to add some more variety to my characters (my first attempt being with Sophia in Gunpowder - she was the first female I RPed with) I stated thinking of different names which would get me away from that cursed R-word. Usually what I do is thinking of a country the character might live in, and get a name from from the list of popularly used baby names there. I've done it with Sophia (German) and Youssef from Outbreak (Moroccan). Nerites from Titans is a modified version of the name of an actual Greek nymph god.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years

I like to use the meaning of names to decide a name. I usually go quite in depth with it, usually using Japanese names as they tend to fit the best.

To give an example, my character in the journey RP "Begin Again" is named, "Jun Hoko" or "Jun Hōkō" which literally translates to "forward direction" from Japanese.

I'd like to say I put thought into every name, but sometimes I get lazy and string together some nice sounding names together until I get something cool. Surnames I even just make up sometimes since they can be so very varied world wide.

In the end it depends on the character really.

Also Foxy, Nereid I'm assuming? See I know my Greek stuff. Look at us, bonding over Greek mythology. This is a good moment for us. I'll cherish it, put it in a scrap book.

Last edited:
    Years

My characters have something of a mix. I have characters that have names that I just think sound good like "Alex Rose" from Gunpowder, names based on geographical tendencies like "Adrian Frode" from the first Reapers and also characters with obscure relationships to RPs/Characters like "Tasman Bailey" from Begin Again. With me it really depends on the mood I'm in.

Years
    • Age 22
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2015

I usually name my characters based on some people I know in real life, but occasionally I'll give them something unique to them. Just for a change.

On a different note, here's a link to my Stars of Sinnoh RP. It is a lot like Adventure's Begin Again and Vary's Hoenn RP. Just, well, Sinnoh.

How can you not join? I even made myself learn some CSS and gave you a link. Just kidding. You can join if you want, but Lord Blarzigord will get you if you don't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back