• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] General Sun & Moon anime discussion thread [series has aired!]

Years
  • 944.jpg

Branching off the CoroCoro announcement thread, a new discussion thread for the series was made since it finally started airing and is no longer just fan speculation. Discuss away! Feel free to make new threads for topics if you prefer though, this is just a general catch-all topic for those who prefer not to make new threads or feel theirs would fit better in an existing topic.

Individual episode discussion threads are located here.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • To everyone who still think the animation is rushed/garbage... Please watch this episode, you'll be blown away at how high the animation quality is. Just look at Pikachu who is always doing something cute in each scene, and the scenes are so dense with great animation.

With one episode the anime has made me do a complete 180 on the Satoshi redesign. Since it's a more flexible design for animation they manage to make him look cool yet at the same time able to switch to an outright fanboy face. He (and with an extension Pikachu) also retains his strength from Kalos.

The episode itself manages to set the stage with fantastic world building and organic character introductions. The jokes and gags weren't laugh out loud funny… but they did manage to put a smile to my face and of course the occasional giggle…

I can definitely say that this is probably the strongest opener for a Pokemon series… I'm looking forward for more.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • ^Exactly. When I first checked out episode 1, Ash's childish face almost had me drop my face, but as things proceeded, they turned from bad to good to awesome. Pikachu trying to catch Tauros' tail, and Litten barbequing Ash's face were so funny. Although I didn't understand one bit of the things spoken, the episodes did good enough to earn some very frequent wide smiles and giggles from me. With one and half years spent with the serious Ash from Kalos, the one in Alola was a very pleasant surprise.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Yeah I definitely agree with the above. For the first couple minutes I was like "ugh that redesign" but pretty soon I was really liking it - it's a lot more flexible and versatile and does allow Ash (and the other characters) to be a lot more expressive and carefree, which really suits the Alola region imo. Loving the humour as well. Definitely a good start, looking forward to seeing how it continues.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I did like the lighthearted and fun nature of the episodes, not that I could understand much of it. The action sequences and battles were good too. The scene with Pikachu trying to catch Tauros' tail was cute but weird to see because Pikachu's never really been shown to do something like that. It made him look like a cat or like it was an infant.

Years
  • I actually like the anime so far!
    The design maybe was a little weird at first because I've never seen Ash like that but I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. Also, I like the fact that Ash's battling style is almost the same with XY&Z(From what I've seen so far). I can't wait to see some Z-moves. And to be honest, I would love to see Ash mega evolve one of his Pokemon from the lab.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • I like how they show just how strong Satoshi/Ash is in these two episodes. Usually at the start of a Pokemon series the writers write off Pikachu's power (Usually by means of a sickness of some-sort) Or sometimes they just outright down level Pikachu's power so he can match Pokemon of who's weaker (a Snivy who's never even battled beating the crap out of pikachu with one move *Shivers*)

Now in the new series the first fight that Satoshi participates in is against a bunch of team skull pokemon, which his Pikachu decimates immediately. The second episode has Satoshi and Pikachu going up againts a legendary (ON THE SECOND EPISODE!!!) he gets creamed sure... but it shows just how strong Satoshi and Pikachu really are here. The added bonus of Satoshi and Pikachu successfully using a Z-move at their first try (Even tho it's imperfect since it broke the z-crystal) shows just how deep their bond is.

On the topic of the Z move If you look at the way they shoot the Z-move it's almost exactly how they shot Gekouga's bond form transformation. We could assume, that Satoshi and Pikachu tried something similar with the Z-move... and this Satoshi is the one we've known from Kalos.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I was wondering when this started, if this would be a complete reboot ignoring the past anime seasons. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be!

Like others, I too didn't like the new style from the trailers haha but after watching the first episode I appreciate it a LOT over the old style. I'll watch ep 2 soon.

I wonder why tapu koko gave Ash the bracelet just like that... I hope there's a reason and not just "he looked strong/the chosen one" blah.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    For the last 6 generations it's been Ash starts a journey, gets 8 gym badges and enters leagues that he could never win and for gen 7 it's all changed. It has started off with Ash going to school. There will then be the island challenge once Ash has graduated. I'm wondering what people think about this complete change.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I don't know if I can ever get passed the redesign and rework to ash. It seems so weird to me about his new look. Other than that, plot and characters seem to be heading in the right direction. The mood of Alola really reminds me a lot of Hawaii. I really hope this series turns about to be great.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Loved that!

Spoiler:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    So are these kids not the trial captains in this? Will those trials be cut out?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The first two episodes were definitely unique enough to not nerf Ash and Pikachu's power nor shoehorn in Team Rocket (we've got gangsta-wannabes Team Skull making an appearance instead). Kiawe looks to be the new rival for Ash while being a new companion at the same time (and he looks to be the character older fans will relate to). And oh gosh, they're implementing Pokepuns onto the anime with Oak's cousin.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • So are these kids not the trial captains in this? Will those trials be cut out?

They still have the pendants so they may still be the captains, however, in the games, they had just become Trial Captains, so it is possible this might change that and they aren't captains yet.

They might also drastically change the way things are set up. The Kahunas or Kukui could be holding the Trials.

Years
  • For the last 6 generations it's been Ash starts a journey, gets 8 gym badges and enters leagues that he could never win and for gen 7 it's all changed. It has started off with Ash going to school. There will then be the island challenge once Ash has graduated. I'm wondering what people think about this complete change.

Remember that in the games, your character has to go the the Trainer's School when you first get to Hau'oli City to learn the skills of being a trainer before you take on the trials. The anime follows the games so it makes sense when you think about it.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Ending sequence is really catchy and I would love to hear an extended version of it.

Also they gave Ash a pretty good reason to stay in Alola (Conquering all the Z-moves I think?) which is a pretty good twist.

Years
  • Another one preview showing some scenes from some newer episodes too! It seems that Ash will use normalium Z for Pikachu so it can use Z quick attack!

Note: If you see that the video isn't working because it's deleted, quote me and I will post another one!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Omg.... Bewear....... That pokemon is so so so freaking scary, especially with how fast it just ran on that water.... omg.... it is probably even more freakier than the dang Malamar in X and Y anime.

Look like Ash will battle Hala. That will be a great battle I think. Still no confirmation of him catching Litten though. But I am almost 100% sure he will at some point, but it may end up being like Sandile and evolving before he catches it.

I do like how Ash is starting with Norm Z Crystal though. It makes sense. He will probably get the Electric one later on after he has went through. But he might end up getting the Ash-Pikachu Z Move. I don't think they would give an Ash-Pikachu a special Z Move if that isn't what he was going to use in the anime.

Back