• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gray vs grey

Years
    More often "gray" is used in the States, so I will write it this way, but I still recognize the different spelling that more frequently appears in other anglophone countries, and have spelled it with an E myself sometimes. I think that I started unconsciously using the latter spelling more after I named an OC Grey, because I thought the letter E softened the name a little more, and I got so used to writing it that way in the story that it began to stick, but like I mentioned, I'll write both.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Gray. Waffles on how to spell it sometimes. (Blames Neopets for this.) Usually lands on gray. Associates -ay with the correct sound more than -ey. Jumps to words like "ray", "day", and "way". Thinks of far fewer -ey words. Clashes with words like "honey" too.

Years
    I've been taught to spell it "gray" my whole life, so I did. Grey just sounds like a name to me.

Years
    gray

i lean towards uk english for most of my spellings but my brain is too Conditioned to use the "a" version rather than the "e"

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I somehow like to write grey more, but I tend to automatically usually do gray. I suppose gray is the American way?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I was taught a weird mishmash of british and american spellings at school and I'm still making an effort to remember to stick to british to at least be consistent. So I'd say grey, but sadly sometimes I have to look it up to be sure.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I somehow like to write grey more, but I tend to automatically usually do gray. I suppose gray is the American way?

Yeah, that's how it's...apparently spelled here in America. (I honestly didn't know it was the American version, always assumed "grey" was how it was spelled here where I live.)

I don't know why, but for me, I have always thought "grey looks better".

Also, surprised I'm the minority of people posting in here that spells it grey, but I suppose that's why I made this thread, 'cause I was p curious about it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2022
    Grey because the vast majority of books I was reading when I first noticed the difference in spellings used that spelling. I had never noticed that there were two forms of it until then. I also like grey far, far better than gray, probably because it satisfies my synesthesia better. The color of grey is more blue-ish than gray, which is more red. And when I think of the color itself I think of a bluer tint. It just fits better.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'll be honest, if I looked back in my post history I'd bet I've used both. I don't have a particularly hard sway towards one or the other - I just never put that much thought into it tbh!

Grey and gray.. hm. I think the 'ey' feels more natural to me. But who knows what I'd end up typing lol. If the situation comes up organically I will update this post! :)

Back