• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homepage Layout

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I kinda like it, some things to fix though

1. UG and PokeTriv are now out of the index (gr8 job)
    2. I can see threads made in the Scrapbox but cannot access it, since you're not allowed to
    3. I do agree, 5 is kinda too much tbh lmao

Years
    You legit need to make it smaller. I honestly don't think that style really fits in...

See the spoiler for the example.

Theme: Forever Standing
    Device: Macbook Pro 13" 2K screen
    Spoiler:

If you're dead set on something like that, some of my thoughts.
    - Go from 5 to 3 topics visible (For someone to want to go into the board, three of the most recent topics should be enough to captivate someones interest)
    - Reduce the size of the icons and the spacing between

The things is, you have the Pokemon Games section at the top that looks great; sleek, stylish and subtle. Then, at the bottom of the forum, you have this that doesn't really fit in. :/

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I think the Off-Topic section is really cute! I agree that it's kinda big tho and that now things are pretty inconsistent and I'm not sure abt not being able to see subforums. But the idea is really cute; I like where y'all are going with that~

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    What the heck, that looks tons better. Easier on the eyes, because you can see things way better. At least on my resolution, it looks pretty nice.

Years
    I like how better the off-topic stuff has been organized, but I have to report something with the Supporter Hangout and that's some links to recent posts shown from it on the index belonged to staff forums, which supporters are not supposed to be linked to.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    the only complaint i have is that the style isn't very consistent. i think it should be the same sort of style all the way through on the surface of the forum. if that makes sense.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
    This is all over the shot for me using Color Flattered ORAS theme:
    Edit: Same layout issues with Yggdrasil, Fundamental, Inflicted One+.

Spoiler:

I dislike the switch from showing sub-forums to showing recent posts.

Switching to the classic mode is super spaced out vertically now and takes up a lot of room :S

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    The only thing I would suggest now is making it so every section is even. No blank rectangles due to there only being 7 sections, for instance with the Pokemon Generations area. Perhaps make it so the most important section is two wide? For instance, Sun & Moon would take up the entire first row.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    boop de doop heyo can y'all post in here when changes are tentitavely done and you would like some feedback on them so you aint getting bombarded w q's and suggentions on things you have yet to get to and that? might make it more chill

Years
    I'm sorry, but having the whole forum design like how the Off-Topic sections were is just ugly. :/
    I honestly think it looks like a mess and is rather clunky. Just with the Pokemon board, how it was before worked because it's an odd number of games. Now, you have the 1st gen just hanging out, leaving an odd amount of space. :/

Theme: Forever Standing
    Device: 27inch iMac
    Spoiler:

I MUCH prefer how you had the small icons for each section higher up. Less is more and this is just farrrrrrr tooooo muchhhhh in your face. :c​

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    For the record, I'm super happy changes are being made in attempt to modernise the forum. Though my main question is why this is being implemented live? It's akin to demolishing a building and attempting to build a new foundation while people are still attempting to live in it. I understand that there's an "opt out" option - but shouldn't it be an "opt-in" decision? Currently, any new users to the site are experiencing an inconsistent and ultimately chaotic dynamic change to the front page of the website. Guests are also viewing an unfinished product. I can see this being quite off putting, especially to younger or less PC-savvy users who don't truly understand what's happening.

Conversely, this would have been a great opportunity to make use of the Supporter tiers which are ultimately being under-utilised in terms of being a smaller group of users which typically have a lot of understanding of the forum and donated for "premium" features. This is a chance to allow for Supporters to "Opt-in" to beta changes in which they can have direct feedback on within the Supporter forum.

It's not that I think you should be excluding members who haven't donated, but this is my suggestion in creating a more streamlined experience for the typical user. As it stands, you're uprooting the functionality of the forum and creating disruption. This is an untidy way of retrieving on-going feedback (if that's what you're attempting to do). Give users the option to input on forum design changes, don't force them to fumble through navigation day-to-day due to layout inconsistencies and modifications.

tl;dr Set the default to an "opt-in" not "opt-out", make it a Supporter feature, only release to the public when it's actually finished.

Last edited:

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    i love it already.

ofc other things still need to be fixed (like ug and poketriv, yes im not gonna stop pestering you bout it, coz someone else will) but overall, this is better than before.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    This lay-out looks really messy. There's a bunch of stuff that just doesn't make sense. It might be my resolution, but the cards are each of a different size, don't neatly center, and leave a huge amount of white room between them. I can't find the pattern as to why the cards are spread out so weirdly. I'll include screenshots below.

The fact that subforums are not visible is a huge mistake. It makes navigation more difficult and hides a lot of the content some subforums offer. Especially for sections like the roleplay theater, it's counterintuitive.

The data being displayed is also annoying. For example, if scrolling down to the City Hall, it looks like this topic is called Homepage Layout Today, instead of Homepage Layour, with the last post being made today.

I also agree with Seeker, in that it's really weird that this is being done live for all users. An easy opt-in at the top of the page seems like a better option to me.

Images of weird sub-forum cards:
    Spoiler:

EDIT:

Just actually went into a sub-forum instead of a thread. The fact that sub-forums are above the header is not ideal. For example, entering the RPT with the intent of checking on a roleplay thread, I'd have to do a weird illogical scroll up and down to check if there are new posts in the main forum. They sub-forum cards are also really big, and kinda take up an unnecessary amount of space. The header combined with sub-forum links are taking up my whole screen already, and there's not really any content being displayed.

The main page also displays if the thread in the preview has unread messages, but this isn't a thing for sub-forums. I'd love to see something indicating that. I liked how the classic layout did it, with the big icon displaying that info. The images at the front are fun, but the fact that they take up a lot of space without actually serving a purpose makes them a bit obnoxious.

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    It's your skin. The layout looks significantly better on Soaring to the Moon/Shooting for the Sun.

It might be an idea to opt-out certain skins, if the new layout isn't being optimized for them. The feedback people give might not be useful if it's their skin changing the layout, instead of it being a fault with the layout itself.

EDIT: Is there a way for the 'classic' forum layout to be the actual classic one? I'm not huge on the multiple thread preview.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Idk if it's just me, but I'm not seeing the images on the sides of sections like I've seen in a few of screenshots posted in here for some reason =/

Also going to say that I agree that lack of subforums on the index is not great and neither is the varying amount of space between sections and the varying size of their boxes (6th Gen looks shorter than 5th Gen rn for some reason)

using Soaring to the Moon btw

test_account

for all that is broken, I am the test.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2019
    I have tested this new layout design and find it acceptable,

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    ah, this is looking better, thanks Audy =)

image for what I was talking about yesterday with side images:
    Spoiler:

then look at Ice's:
    Spoiler:

basically it's like how in mine you can't see Goku on the side of the A&M section or the laptop on the side of the S&T section but can in Ice's

Back