• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homepage Layout

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • bump. please can we have some more admin responses in here?

not because i think my own feedback is MEGA IMPORTANT but because this is literally the first thing everyone sees every time they load PC (and therefore what their impressions are decided on) so it deserves attention

Years
  • Unfortunately a huge majority of these suggestions are technical things only Ausaudriel can look at. We've already linked this thread to ensure it's seen, but since it's dependent on just one person having the time to edit things, there's not much else we can do beyond this point other than wait.

The location of Community Square is being discussed as we speak. Anything else, including having subforums visible on the index, would have to be looked at by Ausaudriel since that's a custom thing only he has access to edit. The rest of us will do whatever else we can. Sorry for this guys!

Nihilego

Years
  • Unfortunately a huge majority of these suggestions are technical things only Ausaudriel can look at. We've already linked this thread to ensure it's seen, but since it's dependent on just one person having the time to edit things, there's not much else we can do beyond this point other than wait.

The location of Community Square is being discussed as we speak. Anything else, including having subforums visible on the index, would have to be looked at by Ausaudriel since that's a custom thing only he has access to edit. The rest of us will do whatever else we can. Sorry for this guys!

cool 8) sorry to be a complete pain about it

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • We're tinkering around with the Comm Square position. Feel free to continue giving thoughts as we adjust things.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Maybe consider putting the feedback and welcome forums at the top and leaving the BB and Supporter Hangout at the bottom (and merge them with off-topic?). With that setup the two forums that are requested to be the most visible are at the top without pushing the Pokemon forums too far down like 3-4 forums would.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Community Square at the bottom feels like a really bad idea. It was already too far down the page in my opinion - why has Off-Topic been deemed more important?

Meet & Greet along with City Hall should be up the top - this is standard for forums and where you expect to find an introduction and help section. I understand most visitors want ROM hacks or whatever, but surely there are a bunch of other sections that community square should take priority over such as Off-Topic (mentioned above), Entertainment and Media, Creativity.

I really like Wolf's suggestion in splitting up the community square section as the different forums in this section have vastly contrasting importance.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Here's a question - if there is a notice at the top for new members when they join about where to go to introduce themselves (Meet and Greet) and where to come for forum issues or the like (Community Square), why then should those sections be at the top for everyone? Because to my understanding such a notice already exists!

Meet and Greet really is primarily for new members rather than everyone (on average here, regardless of if you are a regular of that section or not), for instance, so something "at the top" should really only be for them than your usual forum member... and that's served by notices. Once you're around a bit you then know where to go if you do say need to post about an issue about the forum, or if you want to welcome new members.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Here's a question - if there is a notice at the top for new members when they join about where to go to introduce themselves (Meet and Greet) and where to come for forum issues or the like (Community Square), why then should those sections be at the top for everyone? Because to my understanding such a notice already exists!

Meet and Greet really is primarily for new members rather than everyone (on average here, regardless of if you are a regular of that section or not), for instance, so something "at the top" should really only be for them than your usual forum member... and that's served by notices. Once you're around a bit you then know where to go if you do say need to post about an issue about the forum, or if you want to welcome new members.

I've never noticed such a notice, so if one already exists perhaps it should be made more prominent.
    When I first signed up I felt quite lost looking for an introduction thread and didn't realize just how far down you had to scroll. It's really the first thing a new member (who wants to make any sort of social contribution to the forum) would look for.

You're correct, once you've been here a while you know where to go and what to do - but I feel that we should be catering for new potential members who don't have that same experience.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • kitarei said:
    I've never noticed such a notice, so if one already exists perhaps it should be made more prominent.
    When I first signed up I felt quite lost looking for an introduction thread and didn't realize just how far down you had to scroll. It's really the first thing a new member (who wants to make any sort of social contribution to the forum) would look for.

You're correct, once you've been here a while you know where to go and what to do - but I feel that we should be catering for new potential members who don't have that same experience.

If such a notice stood out then would that be sufficient then? (To be honest I haven't been a new member in many years and so don't know the current appearance. =p Idr if the devs have recently implemented a new version of the notice or not... and can't quite go and make a new account to test this rn. )

I also disagree btw - when I first joined PC what I looked for was fics, not a section for new users. (And I wasn't someone who didn't want to make a "social contribution" to the forum either - not following that point.) I imagine some do look for meet and greet, but far from everyone. Other sites don't have such a thing to my knowledge either (e.g. I don't recall Reddit having such a one) - how common is it really? Partly why I think a notice for new users about it is fine, rather than it being at the top for everyone.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • If such a notice stood out then would that be sufficient then? (To be honest I haven't been a new member in many years and so don't know the current appearance. =p Idr if the devs have recently implemented a new version of the notice or not... and can't quite go and make a new account to test this rn. )

I also disagree btw - when I first joined PC what I looked for was fics, not a section for new users. (And I wasn't someone who didn't want to make a "social contribution" to the forum either - not following that point.) I imagine some do look for meet and greet, but far from everyone. Other sites don't have such a thing to my knowledge either (e.g. I don't recall Reddit having such a one) - how common is it really? Partly why I think a notice for new users about it is fine, rather than it being at the top for everyone.

I think a more obvious notice (possibly linking the user to the forum) would be a better alternative than nothing at all.

Reddit isn't really a forum in the traditional sense - it's been a while since I've joined and participated in forums but the introduction section always seemed to be relatively close to the top and is always the first thing I used to look for when joining a new community. I don't know how it goes now - I haven't really been an active member on internet forums for years (until recently with PC).

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad at the bottom if our homepage wasn't absolutely jam packed. There is so much content on there that "the bottom" is equivalent to "the deepest depths of the ocean" hahah.

Nihilego

Years
  • Great move putting the Community Square section at the bottom. I'm mostly re-iterating what I said here, but it's good that PC's doing what's completely logical by putting the Pok?mon stuff (i.e., the focus of the entire forum) in plain sight. Having a notice at the top for new users is more than compromise enough.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • The feature is being worked on. My apologies. It's been causing big lag spikes because of how much data it needs to pull.

Just wondering: are we sticking with a one-thread-per-forum highlight or are we reverting back to the three version that was the norm on the site these past few months? I see this comment on the matter but I couldn't figure out which way you were pulling on this.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Just wondering: are we sticking with a one-thread-per-forum highlight or are we reverting back to the three version that was the norm on the site these past few months? I see this comment on the matter but I couldn't figure out which way you were pulling on this.

Came here to ask this too. +1 for reverting if it's possible without huge lag spikes.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Is there a way to implement a way to minimize categories with the new layout or am I just missing it? The pictures make some categories bigger and there are a few I don't pay attention to at all and it would be nice to not see them (sorry)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Just wondering: are we sticking with a one-thread-per-forum highlight or are we reverting back to the three version that was the norm on the site these past few months? I see this comment on the matter but I couldn't figure out which way you were pulling on this.
    Came here to ask this too. +1 for reverting if it's possible without huge lag spikes.
    At the moment, no. They're really server intensive as it's pulling 3 times the data from the database for each index load. The dev team's been discussing a better way of doing it to be released in the next major PC update (read: soon™) but unless audy has some amazing coding tricks up his sleeve it'll have to stay as is for now. Sorry! :(
    Is there a way to implement a way to minimize categories with the new layout or am I just missing it? The pictures make some categories bigger and there are a few I don't pay attention to at all and it would be nice to not see them (sorry)
    I think this was forgotten when we switched to the new forumbit style. I'll bring up adding it back.

Back