• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you feel when you found your first shiny?

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
Years
  • I still laugh at my first finding of a shiny Pokemon, I got very lucky and found a shiny Zubat on my first Pokemon game (FireRed) when I was about 7, I think and I'd never heard of a shiny Pokemon at that point. I screamed for my little sister and we sort of stared at it and because it was green, we assumed it was a sick Pokemon -_- I think we had heard of Pokerus at the time so I was saying 'It's got that Pokemon Virus' (we also didn't know that was a good thing) so we thought if we take it too the Pokemon center maybe it will get better, when it didn't we did an Internet search and found how amazingly lucky we were. What are your memories of finding your first shiny Pokemon or a shiny you'd been looking for for ages?

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • Confused, because I didn't quite grasp the entire concept or purpose of shinies.

It was more like, I thought shiny Pokemon were stronger than regular ones, so when attempting to catch my first one (It was a Linoone), I accidentally fainted it with my Blaziken, which left me very sad.

That happened to me once and it was once too many, now I always have a Pokemon with 'False swipe' it stops me from falling into the dark depression from which there is almost no return caused by knocking out a shiny or a legendary. I accidently knocked out articuno when I was a kid...... I'm still not over it -_-

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • My first ever shiny encounter was a disaster, to say the least, so I had mixed feelings about it. I came across a shiny Sneasel in Icefall Cave--this is one of my favorite shinies, so I nearly jumped out of my chair. Then I open my bag and see that I don't have any Pokeballs left, and I nearly cried. Back then I didn't know about soft resets, so yea...

My first shiny encounter = uncontainable excitement followed by crushing sadness ;-;

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • How did you feel when you found your first shiny?

Ouch.

I know I hadn't saved In hours either, now I save excessively

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Extremely happy. My first shiny was a Shiny Golett on X. I had no idea how his shiny sprite looked until then. I caught him just avoiding knocking him out with my Sylveon and took him all the way to the Hall of Fame.

In bad Shiny memories, a shiny Electrode exploded on me after I missed a Hypnosis. I carry a spare Master Ball in case I happen to run into him (Or a Shiny Abra) again.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • It didn't go well tbh. I was really young (about 9 maybe?) and didn't know what a shiny was. One day while playing Sapphire, I came across a shiny Spheal. My first thought was that it was really cool! A purple Spheal! I caught it ... and then later wondered if it was maybe a glitch and if it was, was it going to ruin my game? So I innocently released it to be sure.

Haha... ha... ;______;

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Confused actually. I didn't know they existed, but I knew something was special about the Poliwag I found when it did the same sparkle thing as that Gyarados, so I caught it. Don't know if I ever felt the excitement about it, and it would be not until 2010(11?) that I would even find another one, which then I flipped out (and I was hanging with Pokémon playing friends too, which made it better). And no, I didn't find a shiny at all in Gen III until AFTER I played HeartGold and Platinum.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Surprised, because it was unexpected. It felt so random! {XD}

My exact reaction was simply, "what?".

EDIT: I'd like to hear a good friend's encounter with her Red Duskull, since Duskull has been my favorite ghost when I first saw it at the official website.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Surprised and annoyed. It was a Tangela in Gold and I had no pokeballs >__>

I didn't know about shinies, I thought only Gyarados had another color. And I didn't have internet to search it up, nor did anyone I knew.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    >dose a transpher of a ton of master balls & rare candys made from the old pokeball man & missino.glitch in red to silver via stadium 2
    >runs into a
    in silver
    >catches it in a master ball
    >uses it to beat the kid who taught me the missino. glitch
    >got accused of using a cheat device to make an unfair pokemon with the shininess being used as the biases for the claim
    >we argue for awhile
    >kid breaks my silver version when he thinks I'm not looking
    >swiped his silver version in compensation for what he did to mine
    >he tries punching me
    >to slow, i ducked grabbed his game-boy color.
    >he charges at me
    >puts gbc out just in time for him to run directly into it
    >he's out cold, gbc is busted.
    >pilfered his games(nfl football? on a gameboy? hell, i did him a favor by destroying it with his football helmet.)
    >finds his red version after digging though & destroying 25 nfl football games & a few atari ET games that where randomly mixed in.
    >erases red versions memory via the dropping trick
    >ties him to a tree with a note that i made via forging that creepy couch who always liked looking at me & every other boy in the locker room with the note saying something along the lines of "this is my love bear" or something like that. basically a line that would sound normal for a small girl or a pbs cartoon, but would sound creepy & perverted as hell from the couch(i hated that guy, its a wonder he didn't get dragged away years ago)
    >friend that i fought with forgot the entire day from before
    >creepy couch is later dragged by cops while some parents and teachers throw rocks at him
    >a mop thrown by a janitor hits a cop
    >i yawn while everyone else laughs including the other cop
    >???
    >profit?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • My first ever shiny encounter was in Diamond, I had just started my journey and I encountered a shiny Shinx on Route 203. At the time I wasn't totally aware of the whole shiny concept, obviously I caught it because it was a different colour to any ordinary Shinx. 8)

Reactions: Sun

Vengeful One

I'll put something amazing here eventually...
    Years
  • My first shiny encounter was in sapphire and I had just lost hope of ever finding a shiny and a tentacool appeared with its green bulbs (crystals maybe?) and I just about choked on the ds pen (even though it was a Gameboy game I still had the ds pen out for some reason).

Adrasteia

[font=Comic Sans][/font]
    Years
  • It didn't go well tbh. I was really young (about 9 maybe?) and didn't know what a shiny was. One day while playing Sapphire, I came across a shiny Spheal. My first thought was that it was really cool! A purple Spheal! I caught it ... and then later wondered if it was maybe a glitch and if it was, was it going to ruin my game? So I innocently released it to be sure.

Haha... ha... ;______;

Oh that's heart breaking

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I found my first shiny in the Friend Safari in X and it was a Boldore and I was all sorts of excited. I have found many shiny Pokemon by Horde Battles but I have yet to find a shiny just in the wild with nothing extra...(Hordes, Medusa Method)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I just randomly fished with an old rod in Ruby for no reason and I found this beauty

It's gold!!
    There are golden Pokemon? AND THEY SHINE?
    Thats so awesome
    I want it
    Imma catch it

*No Pokeballs*

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • My first shiny was a female Hoothoot in the SDC's copy of Heart Gold. I thought oh this is one of those shiny Pokemon gotta catch it. I caught her and named her Tori from the TV show Victorious.
    I have no bad memories of shinnies yet.

Years
  • My first shiny was a Golbat that I found in Meteor Falls while searching for Bagon. At the time I did not know how they work, or about how low their encounter rate is, so I went with the assumption that it was some sort of in-game event. This was possibly one of the luckiest captures in my entire time of playing the series; in my team was a Zangoose that knows False Swipe, which coincidentally was supposed to be deposited into the PC.

When I showed to my friends what I had captured, I was left wondering why they were so intrigued upon seeing a green Golbat. Unlike the first, all my other shiny encounters have either ended badly or resulted in a capture that cost, blood, sweat, and tears; I once had a Tropius use Whirlwind after I had paralyzed it, and accidentally knocked out a golden Magikarp.

Years
  • EDIT: I'd like to hear a good friend's encounter with her Red Duskull, since Duskull has been my favorite ghost when I first saw it at the official website.

You're in luck there, because my first shiny happened to be said shiny Duskull!

I heard about shinies before playing for the first time and then one time when I was playing my original Ruby I was grinding something in Mt. Pyre (I think) and *BAM* I suddenly find a shiny Duskull and realize that shinies actually exist. Still holds memories with me today.

Reactions: Sun

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • "What?"

exactly my reaction.

i was a noob so i ran away

i cri everytim ;__;

it was that beautiful shiny pidgey

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When I'd first encountered a shiny, I had no idea what it actually was, and thought it might've been some form of game glitch. Due to this, I wound up treating it like how'd treat almost every other Pokémon, and ran away. Eventually, I was able to figure out that I'd made a mistake, and was sort of upset at myself because of it.

Back