• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you first discover the Anime?

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    My story for finding the anime isn't very fun at all and it's pretty damn basic! I was a major fan of Pokémon because of having a pre-owned copy of Pokémon Blue I got for my birthday, then when the anime series started playing on tv in Ireland I was immediately hooked. I think the first episode I ever seen was actually the second one - where Team Rocket kinda blew up the Pokémon Center in Viridian City if I remember rightly!

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    Watched an episode of the original series around 6. Didn't follow much but I did have an interest in Advance when I saw May/Max and not Misty. Took a full interest around DP when I got my first game, around 13.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I was 11. During recess my friend asked me if I wanted to play Pokemon. I told him I didn't know what it was so he described it a little bit and he told me it's on in the morning at 7, so I watched it the next day and I liked it but I wasn't yet fully into it. As I watched more I got into it more, and it wasn't long before I was hooked.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I will be honest, I really have no idea how I discovered the anime. I honestly wish I could. I was 6 when the first movie came out and I was already a huge fan of pokemon. So I started liking pokemon even before I was in school. I was in 2nd Grade when Johto started up.

I think I may have just been watching cartoons one morning and it happened to be on during the summer and I got hooked. I think the first episode was Ash catching Caterpie. It wasn't till years later when I actually saw the first episode.

I do not know if I started playing Pokemon Blue first or watching the anime. I know me and my cousins played the games a lot.

All and all, I really have no idea how I even started liking Pokemon. I honestly wish I remembered when I first got into pokemon.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    As a kid, my parents bought all the DVDs of season 1 from a friend. My sister and I watched them alll day. From then on, I was hooked. Pretty sure I watched up until Advance Generation regularly, then only Sinnoh and the newer seasons on my own. My sister wasn't so hooked, pretty sure she stopped whenever I stopped watching them on the family TV.

My brother is a huge fan of the Pokemon games but I don't know if he's ever seen the anime, really. I think he's maybe a little bit familiar with it but I doubt he's seen a whole season... I have no idea actually.

Froosty

The_Learner
    Years
    For me i came to the world of pokemon through animie.... i used to watch the pokemon episodes from the very beginning in cartoon network..... it has just been around 5-7 years when i played my first pokemon game..... and actually i never played the gb and gbc games like yellow, blue, gold , crystal...
    Indeed my tirst pokemon game was fire red.....
    But i am introduced to pokemon from the animie.....

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2016
    This seems like a mostly dead thread but I'll revive it a bit.
    I found the anime when I was very young... Not sure my exact age maybe 3 or 4? My brothers who were ten years older than me had liked Pokèmon when they were younger and passed their Pokèmon stuff to me.
    I got their trading cards, their GameBoy with Pokèmon Gold and of course 3 VHS tapes with the movies (The first movie, 2000 and the 3rd one)
    That's my story haha.

Rin Sohma

Walking on the beach with her Vaporeon
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Mar 31, 2017
    I was around 4-5, and my brother and I turned on cartoons one morning to see Clefairy stealing ice cream from the gang. We were both hooked instantly. It was the anime and the cards we were into solely for a long time- none of us played a game until Gen IV.

I just remembered this while typing this out, but my neighbor started selling cards to the neighborhood from his yard around this time too. I (or my parents, haha) ended up buying so many from him that he gave me his full binder, which I still have. His stand was a hit though- I remember the first day we went there was a line of all the boys in our neighborhood wanting to buy some.

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
    Years
    • Age 29
    • they/them
    • Maine
    • Seen Sep 2, 2022
    Watched the very first episode when it first aired in September '98, since I was already a fan of the games and TCG. I was 3 and half, but I still remember it clearly.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Out of the games, movies and Anime, it was the last part of Pokémon that I found out about. I can't remember what age I was, but it was one of the Diamond and Pearl episodes. I would have continued watching the series, but was never up early enough to watch it. It came on around 7 - 8am on school days and I usually woke up at 8 :/

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I don't even remember when I started watching the anime. I can't remember if I first played the games or first started watching the anime, but both happened when I was around 5. Pokémon was big back then and was on TV so I used to watch it every night, and from then I was hooked! Everyone in school watched it. From then we used to get video tapes of some episodes every now and then, and I still have a few of them at home haha.

Guest123_x1

After I had gotten Pokémon Yellow in 1999 for Christmas, I made it a point to check out the anime, starting it after New Years 2000 (when everything was supposed to collapse into havoc) by watching the weekday afternoon reruns of the Indigo-era episodes via Kids' WB, tuning in to what was then WDWB 20 in Detroit (now WMYD, a myNetworkTV affiliate). The first-run dub on Saturday mornings had already gotten into the Orange Islands saga by then, and I even set the VCR's timer to record both the weekday afternoon and Saturday morning airings.

Before that, I remember only too well at the time Pokémon first hit the States in fall 1998, the anime began its English dub run in first-run strip syndication. I wasn't interested in Pokémon at that time, though, and I tried to tune out of the hype surrounding the Game Boy games, the TCG, and the anime, until the above paragraph happened.

You can read a more complete recollection at: https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2016/02/10/20-memories-for-pokemon20-day-2-pokemon-anime-memory/

Years
    I remember watching the show when it first dropped. I cannot remember exactly when that was or where I was at the time, but I think it was an early Saturday in the late '90s for certain. It was the very first episode of the entire series and remember thinking why Ash didn't die from all the Electric shock therapy ohohoho!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 10, 2023
    When I was 7 my mum was flicking through the channels and I saw the glimpse of the Pokemon opening and asked my mum to turn it back to that channel(it was either CITV or Sky one) and that hooked me into the Pokemon Franchise as a whole. Followed the Anime, into the Advanced Battle series but came back into the Anime when the XY series started.Lovin it.

Back