• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you choose starters?

Years
    • Seen today
    For first playthroughs it's been:

Kanto: Water
    Johto: Water
    Hoenn: Grass
    Sinnoh: Water
    Unova: Fire
    Kalos: Grass
    Alola: Water
    Galar: Fire

Preference water but will branch out at random. If I didn't choose water the first time, I almost certainly will the second time. (aside from gen 8).

Years
    Every reason! Visual design is usually the leading factor for me, though. I was surprised to see the starters in Galar had a little sequence where they interact briefly around the stadium. It also made me sure I wanted to raise a Sobble.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Usually the final evo's design or the designs of the whole line in general, since I know they will all be good to an extent.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I tend to choose Pokemon from special-inclined types like Psychic, Fairy, and Water, and ignore physical-inclined types like Steel, Ground, and Dark.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Usually the final evo's design or the designs of the whole line in general, since I know they will all be good to an extent.

This! Now that we're in S/V leak season, I'm reminded of when Incineroar first leaked. Even though I had no idea if it was even real at the time (though I had the feeling that it was), I fell in love instantly. It looked like such an unusual, but clever end to the line that I decided I was gonna pick it despite the protests of some of my friends at the time. I still don't regret having picked it once, but twice - in both Sun and Ultra Sun. Same with Cinderace - I stuck with Scorbunny all the way and when its evolutions were leaked, the line was the only one I liked.

I did, however, pick Fennekin in Y despite not liking its final stage, simply because I love Braixen that much. It's so cute!

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
    On my first playthrough, I pick based on how much I like the base form and/or the final evolution. I don't really take the middle evolution into account much. Rowlet and Decidueye are among my favorites. I don't dislike it, but Dartrix doesn't appeal to me.

For Nuzlockes though, I like picking based on the last digit of my Trainer ID.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    On my first playthrough, I pick based on how much I like the base form and/or the final evolution. I don't really take the middle evolution into account much. Rowlet and Decidueye are among my favorites. I don't dislike it, but Dartrix doesn't appeal to me.

For Nuzlockes though, I like picking based on the last digit of my Trainer ID.

I believe the main generation with the worst design middle evolution starters were generation 8, to be honest. Were there any middle evolutions that you did like, however?

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
    I believe the main generation with the worst design middle evolution starters were generation 8, to be honest. Were there any middle evolutions that you did like, however?

I picked Scorbunny in Sword and actually don't mind Raboot. And in SoulSilver, I picked Chikorita and I like the entire line.

I also really like Grovyle, mostly because of the Mystery Dungeon games though... I picked Torchic in Sapphire, so I'm not sure if that counts.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    personally, i think gen 8 had the best middle evos (excluding grookey middle evo) i just think that the middle evolutions... are less thought of, design-wise (i hope that makes sense) take charmeleon for example, its pretty much a bigger charmander with darker colors, the thing i like about raboot its that its not just a bigger scorbunny :P

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
    I choose based on the aesthetic of their final evolution, regardless of typing or difficulty they come with. It's a plus if they're endearing. Some generations make it easy for me by giving me a single, adorable final evolution, whereas I've come across some that really made me stop and ponder on who to choose. Looking at you, Unova. None of their starters grew on me, so for at least that generation I actually ended up boxing the poor things.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I pick whichever one appeals to me to the most. I'm surprised I lean more towards using Grass type starters. They tend to be some of the stronger Grass types available early game. Water/Fire substitutes are aplenty like Arcanine/Ninetales, Azumarill, etc. I had two Water types on my original Kanto team (had a Vaporeon). Here were my starter picks on my first playthroughs:

Kanto: Squirtle
    Johto: Cyndaquil
    Hoenn: Treecko
    Sinnoh: Chimchar
    Unova: Oshawott
    Kalos: Chespin
    Alola: Litten
    Galar: Grookey
    Paldea: Sprigatito

Water: 2
    Fire: 3
    Grass: 4