• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you personally go about making friends?

Yukari

It's something that just happens for me. My best friends I usually made by just asking them if they liked something and then I started talking to them about it, and then we became friends.

That's really all there was to it.

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    "HEY, DO YOU WANT TO BE MY FRIEND?"

I can be quite forceful when I decide to befriend somebody. I tend to be the one approaching since people rarely approach me most of the time. Mostly because of first impressions, maybe? But I tend to make up for that after we've get to known each other.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • If they seem cool/there's common interests, it's possible I'll make an approach, though I don't like doing all the work in forming a friendship. If it's not a two way street, then I can't be fussed.

I admit I kinda like being approached first and I can be really lax about any of my standards if someone makes the first approach and often initiates conversation with me. A few of my at the time unlikely good friendships were formed that way, in fact.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    How do I go about making friendships? With difficulty.

I never initiate conversation or, well, anything, really. It's not for being antisocial but more because I fear making people uncomfortable, so I kind of leave people to their own devices - if they want to talk to me, then they'll likely do that. The issue is that this makes meeting new people really difficult - I kind of have to be forced into situations where I have to talk to them or see them on a regular basis in a group setting. The other thing is that I'm rather slow in forming friendships - I could spend weeks simply testing boundaries and going through the horrors of having nothing to offer by the small talk which I so loathe.

Essentially, there's got to be somebody else there for me to get to know an individual (otherwise our relationship shall ever be in a state of limbo) - and I've got to be obliged to talk to them. I don't mind talking to new people when I actually get going - it's just the initial greeting and the minor details and the awkwardness and the not knowing of what they consider to be acceptable interaction and...

Look, I make a bad first impression because I'm a terribly cautious and private person. If I even get to the 'first impressions' stage.
    Don't expect too much of our first encounter and we'll get along just fine.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • Mmm, making friends...

For me, just talking to people in general is emotionally taxing, as I find it really hard to keep a conversation going if I don't have anything in common with you.. then again, making small talk seems to be the first step in becoming friends with people.

I have a really bad habit of jumping head first into potential friendships, so I think the best way would be to make conversation and try to remember things about the person. People appreciate when you remember something they said, and will probably feel more inclined to be your friend if you aren't too pushy or the latter.

Mmm, making friends...

For me, just talking to people in general is emotionally taxing, as I find it really hard to keep a conversation going if I don't have anything in common with you.. then again, making small talk seems to be the first step in becoming friends with people.

I have a really bad habit of jumping head first into potential friendships, so I think the best way would be to make conversation and try to remember things about the person. People appreciate when you remember something they said, and will probably feel more inclined to be your friend if you aren't too pushy or the latter.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • Hmmm. Well normally I get approached after doing something stupid or over the top. Perhaps I took my shirt off during a club meeting, perhaps I laughed too hard during a class and had to take a walk. Idk, some people like being around positive energy, and I definitely love to share.

That being said, if I want to be friends with someone, I just walk up to them and declare my friendship with them. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, everyone is my friend until proven not my friend.

Nakala Pri

In real life.... I say a lot of stupid awkward stuff until they're so willing to get rid of me that they'll say anything and then I hit them with 'CAN WE BE FRIENDS PRETTY PLEASE' and they'll say 'YES NOW GO AWAY!!' and bam! I have a friend. 8D (my record of seeing an irl friend more then once is three times)

Online, I just use lots of jokes. Works like a pancham. >:p

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • I'm the type of person that can pretty much be friends with everyone. I'm just a really chill person, so I'm easy to get along with.

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Years
  • I'm no social butterfly, but I try to be a good friend to those I already have. Also I've been told that I give great relationship advice (though I myself have never been involved in one), so there's that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't try to make friends, because I'm typically very detached from the world around me and inattentive to others. Everyone blends together to me. (For example, in this place, I can't really tell one person apart from the next just yet) Even if I do notice people I like, it takes me a long time of being in the same social setting. And that doesn't mean I'll approach them, because I most likely won't. I'm too awkward for that and I don't have the patience to get through all that small talk. Most conversations with people go nowhere, and most relationships are just casual, talk every now and then, sorts of things. I don't consider that a real friendship. Friendship to me is a very big deal.

If someone's going to be my friend, they'll have to work really hard in the beginning. I'll kick in once I start realizing that you're important to me. And trust me, that takes me a while to do. You could think we're the best of friends, and I'll still think of you as an acquaintance. But once I stop thinking that, I'll start putting forth loads of effort and work. Sometimes I'll come to you. But I either have to be in a random mood of confidence or you have to stand out a lot to me.

The only reason I've made friends is because my personality on the internet tends to attract the attention of others. They start speaking to me, and I engage them, not really thinking much of it. Eventually, a connection forms. But that hasn't happened in years. I mostly just wait for people to come to me.
    This amounts to everything I would say in this thread myself. You and me, maybe we should be friends.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • I actually remember, I made quite a few friends after getting in a fight. It was me against three other kids from my grade, I wasn't even involved at first, they were just bullying a couple of nerdy guys, and I stepped in. I became friends with all five of them until I moved (the bigger of the three even complimented me on my last day, which I swear is the most memorable thing from my childhood).

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
  • honestly its something that comes naturally to me xD i can be in a place ive never been to before with a language i dont speak well and suddenly strike up conversation without really thinking about it. you would be surprised that making friends is actually easy. however making good friends is entirely a different story.

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • Earlier when I was young(er) it was totally about likes or dislikes.. "do you like dbz?" "do you draw too?" And that's how it started.
    My friends friends were always with same interests.

Though some time back, I think I became rather conscious.. It probably happened because a best friend of mine turned pretty bitchy and it had effect on me.
    Now I normally just talk to everyone, and I don't know how or what it is, but people kinda treat me like I'm their best friend. It makes no sense to me, probably just how I reflect off.

I don't have besties now, but just huge bunch of ok friends.. It has its good points and bad too. But I don't complain (mostly) :P

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • 'Hey. Look at my shirt. Look at my music. Look at how much I don't talk. Look at me not approaching you. Talk to me. Make me be social. Like me.'

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    This amounts to everything I would say in this thread myself. You and me, maybe we should be friends.
    One of us would have to approach the other first. And neither of us is likely to do that. Ah, what a conundrum.

RisingMaster85X2

BuddingMasterTrainer
    Years
  • Fight me! Hit me!
    Give me a hug!{XD}
    Now I am being serious. I'd say since I am among those of the awkward sort I guess I don't really have/make friends easily.
    To me friendship is much more than idle chat on occasion, If it just so happens we strike a conversation and talk for a while (a good bit over 30 min) I can see us perhaps becoming something over acquaintances. I don't tend to initiate a conversation first so it makes it hard for me to make friends. I have been told by some people I have talked to that I am a nice guy and easy to talk to though so I don't know.

I hope your days end on a high note!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am the worst! I have the Mr. Darcy issue of coming across aloof or surly even though it's not the intention.

In most social settings I have to put 10 times the effort to be friendly than I would do so otherwise.

Most of the friends, if not all, are people I have met through school and/or work. If it weren't fore either of those, online would pretty much be the only social life I have, and even then I'd still say there is some distance placed between myself and others online. (or at least it seems that way to me.)

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I meld well with the cool kids. As in, the cool and calm kids. Level-headed folk really like me for some reason.

Usually a lot of my friendships start out as acquaintances from circumstance, such as at my stay in the hospital in the past. For about the first week there I integrated really nicely with the other kids, leading to a lot of card playing and sports strategy. Some of those kids left and in came a few new faces who were significantly younger than me (usually 14, no more than 15) who tried their hand at picking on me out of fear. The only reason anything got anywhere was because the staff on hand were bumfuck incompetent causing me to have to personally talk to their supervisors before things got sorted out, smh

It's annoying when you have a bunch of freshman acting like homophobic anti-intellectual shitheads to you and the staff have barely enough brain cells to tell you to either deal with it or slap down the "fair" card, moronically treating you just as shitty as the motherfuckers. Some people man <_<

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • In most social settings I have to put 10 times the effort to be friendly than I would do so otherwise.

That's me basically. I have a hard time in social settings and can't really make any friends, so I have to be extra friendly if I even want to try to make friends.

Anyway, for me, it's pretty hard for me to try to make friends. When I do, I personally try to get to know the person. I am never successful with this irl because I'm quiet and "weird."

Online, I just try to talk to a person and get to know them. It's much easier than having to do face to face.

Back