• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Often do you get a new Phone?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Generally, I have my phone for 2 years before I switch. I should keep it for longer, but last time around I just really wanted a big phone (i used the iPhone 5s / SE) so I went ahead and got an 8 Plus even though my SE was fully functional :3 Finally switched out my 5s for an 8 after more like 4 years though! (yes i use 2 phones)

Years
  • Usually a few years. Generally the only reason I upgrade is because the battery life on phones these days eventually becomes kind of intolerable.

Years
  • I don't really have a cycle on how often I get a new phone! I got my first smartphone in 2013, then had it replaced 2 years later. After that, I was changed within 8-9 months (iPhone to Android), then about 1.5 years later I changed my iPhone (6 Plus to 6S Plus). Since October (or November) last year, I've been with my current OnePlus 5T.

A major deciding factor in me changing devices is if the manufacturer stops pushing out updates to the device. At least for Android, I could always change ROMs if I ever wanted persistent security updates long after the manufacturer stops deploying.

oh and if hardware fails as well I'd probably get a new device.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    "Since technology is always evolving..."
    - towards where? These are no more than crutches that dull brains of their users on the long run. People are meeting less, thinking less and losing their perception. It's useful to have contact or check things fast via internet, but people don't know when to stop. This luxury is making them weak. Kind of like cars. There was a time when people were walking, now they're mostly driving - distance doesn't matter. In my country it's getting ridiculous; new sidewalks are empty and the roads are packed. And let me tell you: most of the cars are pretty much empty. Smog is killing people but still common luxuries are more important to them.
    Personally, i have on my desk the same phone my father had. Simple cell phone with a few additional functions. And it's mostly annoying me because of unwanted calls almost every day. The card in it is from like '98. And its working quite fine. Why bother changing thing if it's working? To be like this lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf3GKtV4D-Y&t=265s ?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm literally using an old rotary phone my mom used to use in her hairdresser shop, which dates back to 1953 or 1958 or something.

So... every 60-70 or so years (maybe more since that phone is still working and showing no signs of slowing down)?

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Pretty much all of this
    Agreed. I hate how addicted people are to their phones. It seems like a huge step backward :/ Causes such horrible social anxiety 'cuz they no longer know how to talk to people, or they get addicted to social media which is full of misinformation and stupidity. It's so ridiculous.

And for my answer:
    When it breaks. If I get super unlucky, it'll break within a few months, but that's only happened once. I've had I think 3 phones in the past 10 years; first one lasted about 5 years, second one was the few months, and this one has been with me for about 4 years. I never buy expensive phones, either. This one I have now is a used phone we got for about 25 or 30 USD. I don't use it much outside of texting my mom or calling my grandmom, as an alarm clock, or for fast Internet access when I have to look something up (last one is pretty rare).

Never really use it outside of the house except for music I put on it, either; I get the BlueTooth hooked up to the car radio. The one time I used it outside was the time it got wet from my dog after he was swimming and it broke after a few months of having it. xD So... Learned my lesson there.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Just whenever I feel like it really. Phones aren't really my thing, so I don't buy them very often (probably do a 2 year cycle or something along those lines).

I will build 4 desktops and get 5 laptops in a year though.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I try not to buy a new one, unless I really have to. Seeing as they're expensive and I only use it for work or contact purposes, and sometimes general Browing or playing with an app. I had my last one for nearly five years and I didn't want to get a new one because it was pretty practical for what I needed it for.

I had to get this current new one because the old one wasn't doing well anymore. It would create a lot of static time to time and I didn't want to lose all of my data on it, if I continued using it.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • I still have a Motorola Razr V3 that I use mostly; other than that I have two preferred off brand Androids that I swap out for the same model but new every three years or so (charging port fails and it's easier to repurchase an entirely new phone).

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
  • I still have my Samsung S8 from 2017. Screen might not be what it is all that it is cracked up to be, but wow.. The amount of activity that has transpired I am surprised it has survived for this long.

Before that I had an HTC that lasted me about 4 years but then decided to hop out of my hand and fell in front of the bus... Transit system at its finest people!

Anyways, I'm not the kind of person who will buy the newest phone every year just to say I have the new Apple xx, or Samsung Sx. It's too expensive to buy out right, if you opt for a contract or an EIP it's too much to add on top of your existing bill. I would rather wait until the phone turns into dust before I consider replacing it. (Or having it assassinated by another bus but shhhh)

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • Like every 2.5 years? I've had three phones since I got my first one but I tend to stick with them for a while until they're in pretty bad shape. The only reason I got rid of the previous two was because one got ran over by a bicycle and the whole screen shattered and it was just cheaper to get a new phone and then the second one the battery just deteriorated so much it'd barely last more than two hours before it would die. My current phone is about two and half at this point but for the most part still works fine so I think I'll keep it a while longer.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I got my Note 8 in December of 2017...and very close to paying it off! I kinda want to upgrade this year to either the Note 10 or Pixel 4, but my phone is well taken care of (with a grrrreat phone case), so I might as well keep it for another year.

I'll wait until it craps out.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2020
    Every year, I just bought new iPhone 11 pro. I took short term loan here in Atlanta to buy it. But I don't have any regrets, this loan service gives loans fast and on good terms. So convy.

Last edited:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • It depends on some factors for me, and because several phones are fairly expensive, I didn't upgrade my phones quite often, probs around 2-3 years or more. The last time I switched phones was around December 2018 when I got Samsung Galaxy A7 (2018) as the birthday present.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I've had my current phone since Christmas 2017. I only look for a new phone whenever my phone at the time has died out completely.

Back