• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How you act on the inernet vs how you can in real life

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    The other day my brother was saying that people on the internet are lot different than people in the real world. In the real world most people dont talk about fandoms and don't obsessively talking about a tv show, celebrities, movies, books, etc. And that people act two times different online than they do then offline. He said even like social justice type people dont really bring that stuff in real life and if they do they're obnoxious. And that most people act differently online than they do offline.

Do you believe this to be true? Are you a different person online then in real life? Do you think people and friends you know on the internet are different than the ones in the real world?

I think it's true. When online I'm two times more outgoing and enthusiastic. In the real world, I'm really shy and introvert and never talk to people unless they talk first. Online,I'm more willing to start a conversation myself. If I were to meet any of my Internet friends, I'm sure they'd be surprised by how little I talk. And I never bring up a fandom or something I'm obsessed with to my other friends cause usually people look at you weirdly when you won't stop talking about one thing. Obsessions and fandoms really only work well on the internet. Anywhere else you're considered crazy.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    I have much worse grammar in real life, actually. I feel like most people have better speaking grammar than online grammar, but I tend to get tongue tied. I'm a pretty good speaker, truthfully, but I am a bit out of practice, as it were.

In terms of opinions, I try to treat arguments and opinions online with as much respect as I would do in real life. It is only respectful to do so.

In terms of fandoms, I think the reason that is is because fandoms are what brings people together. I think that conversations as occur online would be on par for real life, if you only consider Conventions or Festivals of that particular fandom. It'd be uncommon to go down the street and have someone compliment your Pikachu hat, but at a Video Game/Pokemon Convention it would happen very often.

^That is, in theory. I've only gone to one event. But even then I got complimented by two Team Rocket cosplayers for my outfit. (It was just my suit and tie, but I guess they thought I was trying to be Giovanni)

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I'm basically the same though I think I'm more enthusiastic and upbeat in real life. I think I also joke around a lot more and am better at communicating than compared to a voice call online because I feel way more comfortable talking to people face-to-face. With certain people, I'm so awkward and quiet though ahh. I'm also probably less open about things that bother me in real life but I'm happy to talk about my interests and hobbies openly!

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    I think, for the most part, there's no difference between my internet persona and my real life persona. Is being a school bus driver really that different than being the Hoenn Pokemon League champion?

Shuhbooty

space and time
    Years
    SUCH AN INTERESTING QUESTION! I had something similar happen just yesterday.

I act the same way I do online, IRL also. And people are usually shocked by my bubbly, enthusiastic, outgoing personality and then find out I'm a total nut job nerd. I approch people that seem to have similar interests, I'm not shy and I LOVE to talk! (even if I never see these people again, I'm usually ok with it). All of my friends (online and know IRL also) come off and talk about all their nerdiess. We're not afraid of it! We've moved on and accepted, like yo, just be yourself. You're not here to impress anyone! ('cept other nerds hehe).

Just yesterday, I was at my GameStop getting an application. However there was a couple in line before me. While they were looking for Pokemon Y (at another store) I quickly butted in and just started asking questions. "Have you played Y before, are you excited" then I recommended ORAS instead and they ended up getting both. After they left, they actually waited for me. Saying they appreciated everything I told them in regards to the games and how they were shocked at how I look and how I NEEDED to work at this store. (I gave them tons of other info aside from the pokemon stuff). So it's refreshing to hear some of that stuff. They were totally shy and had trouble giving me answered (they were at least late 20s to early 30 couple) because they were SO happy. (they shook my hand and gave me hugs). it was just an awesome experience. But nope! I'm me all around and everywhere! (however do get moody and like to debate, which is something don't do often online but do in like skype calls ;) )

Years
    I try to not act any different, I'm more open online then IRL but that's about it. IRL I have to keep my sexuality and gender identity a secret.

%

percent
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2018
    pretty much exactly the same, except (and i know this is bad but) i'm more likely to get angry at people over the internet. irl i'm one of those unfortunate people that pretty much lacks the instinct to get angry and just gets sad instead, but on the internet i get a lot more firey (not often though). it's the same kind of instinct that leads to cyber bullying and all that bad stuff that no one wants, so i'm not happy about it, but i don't get upset that often so all good

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
    It makes total sense to me that online personas are amplified. Consider the arenas of online life - it has a lot to do with it. Right now we are inside the cozy realm of Pokémon fandom, where it's no oddity whatsoever to express love for the franchise. That is slightly more difficult to justify in open, un-themed conversations. The absence of facial cues and body language in this format also makes discussion quite a lopsided affair. Here, we all exist in our words only.

I can remember when the two extremes of my personality (real life versus online) were quite vastly remote from one another. These days I feel they are converging more and more.

Last edited:

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    Disregarding the fact that I currently express a male gender identity in real life (albeit an increasingly tenuous and shallow attempt at one), my online and real life personalities are very similar. Being online has helped increase my confidence in real life, which has caused them to converge somewhat.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    How I am online is quite the opposite of who I am in real life: online, I'm a nice, humorous person. In real life, I'm sorta mean and sometimes sad. Either way I'm a modest person who seldom (if ever at all) thinks he is better than anyone else.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    ok so on the internet i am very outgoing and stuff and i talk too much and i appear to be sort of confident but irl im really shy and awkward and cant stand up for myself but when you get to know me i cant shut up but im still shy af with certain things and whatnot and im not very confident irl but i'm working on it.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    I talked on inconsistencies earlier; now for similarities. I have roughly the same sense of humour/enjoyment of banter in both areas, if I'm able to get to them irl. I am very open & friendly to anyone who talks to me (unless I'm actively trying to do something; then I can get distant until I do the thing). However, I have not yet, nor probably ever will, start(ed) a conversation of my own accord with someone I don't/only vaguely know. Others must always initiate with me, but beyond that, I'll be a good friend.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
    Hmm, strange question. I try to act as nice as possible in person and on the internet. Though I'm not good at keeping myself calm in arguments face-to-face, I'm working on it xP
    The most major thing though is I'll be more open to strangers. If you talk to me in real life and I don't know you, the conversation will be mostly nods. Here I'd gladly talk to a few people and have a full-on talk with them. Though I tend to be careful as some people get offended more easily than others, so I'll always be in the shadows until I get to know you.
    (I'm also like 10x more sarcastic in person. :P)

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The internet is probably the most truthful place out there these days, so yes people definitely show a different side online.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    i'm probably kinder, shyer, less blunt etc by comparison, due to the internet having very little in the way of social consequences compared to the realities of The Outside World. but in general, there would naturally be a disconnect between the two realms; for example, i'm sure as shit not gonna talk about anime in public.

but i don't think i'm different - it's just easier to compose myself, or lose composure if that is the case, and present myself the way i want to. personality-wise, you'd get the same harley offline. i think the only noticeable difference is that i'd come off as more excitable, since even in casual conversation i talk incessantly and come off as almost perpetually breathless when speaking with my actual voice. compared to when i'm typing, which i think comes off as very dry in comparison, lol. otherwise, i can't really say that i'd be drastically different. i'm very similar online and offline, 'warts and all' as the phrase goes. any shocks to the system would be the fault of the other person and not me!

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    i like to think i'm pretty similar; i'm a chilled out guy who just likes having fun ^_^

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Elsewhere, when an online friend decided to speculate what I might be like irl, and to be bluntly honest in doing so, he chose 'short, socially awkward, sweet and generally kind, likes to yell INCREDIBLE quite a bit, finds everything funny'.

Dear God, I had not expected that. The only thing he got partly right was the INCREDIBLE part. I am loud, overexuberant, angry with a hot temper and necessarily tall.

I tried. I really did. Oh well.

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
    Years
    You pretty much nailed me to a T. On the Internet, I am much more outgoing and personable, but IRL I am quiet and an introvert. It's pretty odd how that happens but I like it this way :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ask Abnegation if you want to be sure, but I thiiiink I'm pretty much exactly the same offline as online. I talk just about as much and I'm decently social and nerdy and I love cats offline as well as online (8

In general it seems like the tendency is for people to be more outgoing on forums like these than they are irl. It's a very forgiving and open arena, PokeCommunity, tumblr and other places like them. Which is nice.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2016
    Me on the internet: lolz hai guys. I love pokemon and homestuck and undertale blah blah blah also im trash XD........also excessive use of dots of commas,,,,,,,i laugh a lot XD but don't mess with me or else ill go sjw on you >:( also memes and kinks

Me irl: ...No....stop that. I hate everybody. Oh my god will you shut the fuck up (in my head). *a minute later* lol

Basically I have different "sides" of me (not in an edgy mary-sue way). On the internet I can either be crazy or mean or just act normal like in forums and such. Also I talk about fandoms a lot. And I do like social justice...except I'm not that crazy about it.

In real life I can be cold and aloof. I hate a lot of people at school and have anger issues. However with the right people and in the right mood, I can be silly....but I'm mostly shy irl and don't really talk to people unless I have to.

Back