• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the first game you played also your favorite?

Years
    • Seen today
    I started with RB (even though Gen 3 already existed I wanted to start from the beginning).

And no, they're actually among my least favorites, add all the Kanto pandering that made me sick of certain Kanto Pokémon throughout the years and yeah, definitely not playing gen 1 or its remakes ever again.

I don't have a clear favorite because unfortunatelly no Pokémon game has everything, but Platinum, B2/W2 and US/UM would be my favorites for different reasons.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I started with RBY, and it's my least favorite or second least favorite one

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2021
    I started with R/B/Y. I'd have to say Crystal or HG/SS are my favorite though. R/B/Y does still rank high in my favorites, but it's probably more for the nostalgia of it more than anything.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I started with Blue. The game is still fun to play. It even has some minor things that I think it did better than the remakes. In that aspect I'm probably one of the few who have trouble deciding if they like the originals more or the remakes.

I do have to admit, though: RBY is definitely _not_ the best. They do the semi-openworld theme best, imo. And the glitches are pretty fun, as well (just look up some of the speedruns if you don't believe me).

If I had to place Blue it would end up somewhere in the middle. Meanwhile the top of the list is gen 5 followed by gen 6.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • yes and no? my first game was technically yellow, but i lost it and my gameboy before ever getting past brock. i played the N64 titles between then and gen 3, but those don't rly count lol but my gen 2 was basically pokemon stadium 2 while everyone else played GSC. anyway my next game was sapphire which i did get past the first gym leader lol and beat it so tho yellow is where i started, i kind of consider sapphire my first game bc i got to really experience it. but emerald is my favorite. so? take that how you will ig

fwiw i really enjoy yellow it's not my favorite but i do enjoy gen 1 for all of its weird quirks, ugly sprites, and the music. like i could still play it fine and enjoy myself if i popped it in rn. and if you know me you know i live for RSE and have played all of them more times than i would like to count lmfao. so in both cases, the games hold up really well for me.

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • I started in generation one. Red was technically the first game I played but, blue was the first one that I bought and played through. No, they are not my favorite, although they do hold a special place. My favorite pokemon games are HGSS and B2W2.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I'm honestly not sure. I enjoy the larger roster and Pokémon following you in HGSS, but GSC have more nostalgic graphics and I liked Mystery Gifting/room decoration and being able to connect them to Pokémon Stadium 2 (Battle Revolution didn't have as many features and HGSS's built-in mini games—the Pokéathlon—didn't do it for me).

Last edited:
    Years
  • First game I played was Yellow but I am really not a fan of Gen 1. M y favorite Gen is Gen 3 and I am right, you can't tell me otherwise, it is a fact.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • First Pokémon game I played was PMD: Blue Rescue Team. It's definitely among my favorite entries, but it's not my favorite side game let alone Pokémon game. Those titles are both held by Pokémon Conquest.

But if we're talking mainline my first game was Pokémon Diamond and that's still a no. Pokémon BW quickly ushered Diamond out of its favorite spot and SwSh has since blown them both out of the water. 😂

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    Sapphire always has a place in my heart. My cool team consisting of:
    Swampert
    Hariyama
    Manectric
    Gardevoir
    Walrein ( Glalie looks ugly imo and didn't want to make my starter a Water HM slave )
    Altaria

is really cool and my basis on making my teams. Fire Red was my 2nd game and it still has a spot in my hear, just smaller.

Years
  • I started with RBY and they were my favourites when they were the only Pokémon games I've played. But ever since I've played Silver right after finishing Yellow, RBY have been at the bottom of my list.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My first game was Gold. I used to LOVE Johto as a whole, but over the years I've found the region to be a snore. I'd say Gold would be somewhere in the middle of my own rankings or lower end.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • My first game was Soul Silver, but I actually prefer B2W2 and think they are slightly better, although I still really like HGSS

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • My favourite game constantly changes, but as of now, no, my favourite game is not my first game. My favourite game at the moment is definitely Black 2. My first was Platinum.

Years
  • My first game was Soul Silver, but I actually prefer B2W2 and think they are slightly better, although I still really like HGSS

HGSS are definitely high on my list too! So many good features and they were a ton of fun. I really miss when they were new tbh.

My first game was Blue and while I still adore RBY for nostalgia purposes, my favorites are probably BW and RSE/ORAS, and also probably GSC for the constant fun replay value.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    My first game was Ruby, iirc. Nowadays I'd say my favorite game is DPP-ish. Can still use Turbo and play fast while having a variety of challenges and choices.

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Well unlike a lot of people here I'm a babby child and started with Diamond. Now there's a lot to like with Sinnoh and for sure Platinum is pretty easily my third favourite game, however all my love has always been with B/W/B2/W2 and pretty sure that's where it'll stay. Probably because I didn't really understand Diamond when I first played it, so I didn't have the same sort of connection or feeling (I also remember my first playthrough being ungodly levels of idiocy). As a kid I can remember playing Diamond and White but I can basically tell you word for word how I played White 2, that game is legendary in my eyes.

(Thinking about it I don't actually think I ever beat the Elite Four on Diamond, I vaguely remember Aaron messing my team of a slightly overleveled Infernape, a Machamp and a Uxie(?) idk)

TL;DR Started w/ Diamond, my fav is White 2

Years
  • My first Pokémon game was FireRed version. It's up there as one of my favorites, but I still consider Pokémon Crystal version to be my go-to. I have a lot of memories with that one, as well as Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. If I had to choose an absolute favorite, I think you would be surprised to hear that it's actually the Romhack of Pokémon Crystal Clear by ShockSlayer. It's basically HeartGold and SoulSilver in Crystal format with a lot of great new features with new sprites and follow pokemon. It lacks any real story but your own I feel, but you can start anywhere you want in the game between regions for that "open world" experience. I also enjoy the selection of 8-bit music remakes (demakes?) of current gen games thrown in there to be unlocked. You can tell there was a lot of heart put into creating all of it. Anyway, enough said on that.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Feb 1, 2021
    I started with FireRed and I don't mind them much. I will have to make a list of my favorites to least favorites. Although my favorite is Platinum followed by BW/2.

Back