• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lag is a serious issue

Years
  • Lag is a serious issue

So, this is the first time I've actually experienced lag in a Pokèmon game. Before anyone asks, yep, I've updated the current version of the game to the most recent.
    I find that the game still lags on double battles at times and it also lags when I'm hatching eggs. It just starts to really grind to a halt trying to animate the hatching. This is on the latest 3DS as well.

Does anyone find this pretty poor? Have you experienced lag in the game? How do you feel about it? Are you even bothered by it or does it really annoy you?​

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2019
    OMG my game lags SOOOOO bad at the beginning of double battles and it used to in the battle royal before the update

FloofyIncineroar

The fluffiest giant kitty.
    Years
  • Yeah, my game would lag at various points, seemingly when there are a lot of models on screen like in double battles or large models like Pokemon Refresh with Lunala or (story spoilers)
    Spoiler:

Good to see some of the lag issues are being fixed, though.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 8, 2017
    Funnily enough, I'm on the old 3DS and I don't have it nearly as bad as you guys seem to have it.

I get lag (although a better term for it would be FPS drops) during battles with more than 2 Pokemon and Totem Battles thanks to the Aura. I read that this was because the game was optimized for the new 3DS and not the old one, but if people are having issues on the new one, hmm. I don't have any issues with hatching or Refresh. I'm an FPS snob, but it doesn't kill this game for me, I just kinda roll my eyes at it because ultimately low FPS doesn't kill the speed of the game here, it just makes it look ugly.

I have noticed however that the engine itself is kinda terrible. There's a several second delay after each battle to reload the overworld, which is really terrible, and again in battles with more than 2 Pokemon, there'll be a delay after you select what you're going to do, like the engine struggles to process out turns for more than 2 Pokemon.
    This lag does affect gameplay and is pretty irritating, but after over a hundred hours of gameplay I've gotten used to the new tempo.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I never really had an issue with lag in Sun & Moon and I have the first edition 3DS. There were only a few occasions (mainly in battle) when there would be a slight delay, but other than that I felt the game ran smoothly overall.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • I have not experienced any noticeable lag while playing on my brick of a 2DS, even in double battles. I find this quite perplexing seeing as so many people appear to be having lag problems.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    So really minor slowdown in some totem battles.
    The only really bad slowdown is when I get Solgaleo out in Pokemon Refresh. I think his size, mane and animated galaxy forehead is just too much

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • every... god damn... turn... in Doubles matches...

apparently the lag is proportional to the DS that you play on. I can play on my boyfriend's 3DS XL and there is far, far less lag. practically none during Z-Moves, and a third of the time to wait between turns in Doubles matches. but then on my regular 3DS, stuff like Stoked Sparksurfer take AGES to process.

annoying!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It usually occurs for me during battles that involve more than two Pokemon, so Doubles/Multis, Battle Royales, and SOS battles. It tends to manifest either as a choppy or slow framerate, or it takes extra time to execute turns like what antemortem said.

It's kind of annoying--nobody likes lag--but I wonder if it's just 3DS hardware limitations or something

Years
  • My game lags really bad in double battles and some other situations too, I'm playing on the first 3DS and thought this problem was just limited to the older models, interesting to know even the newest 3DS have the lag problem too.

User19sq

My game lags really bad in double battles and some other situations too, I'm playing on the first 3DS and thought this problem was just limited to the older models, interesting to know even the newest 3DS have the lag problem too.

It does. And I hate it too. Makes a multi-battle with Wally against other Trainers feel anti-climactic.

Years
  • I have also experienced serious lag in double battles Like when you both throw your Pokemon out the game takes a long trip downhill And then the rest of the battle is a laggy mess.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I wouldn't be so upset about the lag if it wasn't for the fact that the lag is very likely the sole reason why triple, rotation, and horde battles were removed from the games.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I get a lot of lag, and I didn't even think about it being that my 3DS was older, I just assumed the game in general lagged for everyone, and was surprised they'd release it in such a state. Makes me wish I had a newer DS, but heck no, most of the time mine works fine. Til this game. :/

ShinyHoundoom

Houndoom Fan
    Years
  • They REALLY pushed the limits of the 3ds in general with this game. I wished they didn't. They pace gets so slow and I'm not a fan of that.

Back