• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Landline Phones

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Landline Phones

I remember back in the day, whenever I would go to Target, I'd walk by the phones in the electronic section and see the landlines they had for sale. Nowadays, most people probably don't even have a traditional phone wired to the house, or even a wireless landline like this one.

Do you have a landline phone?

I still live with my parents, so... yeah, we do.

But, I assume most people these days probably don't have one. I hear they're going to get fazed out someday.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I don't but my mother does. That thing even survived getting struck by lightning years ago and is still doing its job to this day. xD

But yeah: it's very much an older people thing.

Years
    Lol yeah we had those. Having a house with different floors it was pretty useful to have a couple of them, so that you didn't have to rush to the phone like we used to do when we had a corded phone lol

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I have a Panasonic like the one in that picture staring at me in the face lol

In Spain, landline calls are free and come bundled with any internet service deal so people will keep using them mostly because, well, basically everyone gets the service by default and it costs you nothing so you might as well give the old landline a try first if you don't have unlimited free mobile calls.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Pretty much all the elders in my family still use landline phones for some reason. I definitely don't have one. I'm always on the go and, of course, smartphones are so much better.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I had a landline phone up until maybe a few years ago. Only reason it I had it was because my mom insisted we keep it because it was included in some sort of package deal with the internet service. The only other person I know who still uses one is my nana and she is slowly using her smartphone more. I wouldn't be surprised if she eventually got rid of the landline.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Pretty much all the elders in my family still use landline phones for some reason. I definitely don't have one. I'm always on the go and, of course, smartphones are so much better.

Same here. My grandparents still prefer a landline, even over stuff like, say, a Nokia 3310 or somesuch.

They're too used to it and refuse to change. We're not against it though, the landlines have a nostalgic charm to them

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    I have a Panasonic like the one in that picture staring at me in the face lol

In Spain, landline calls are free and come bundled with any internet service deal so people will keep using them mostly because, well, basically everyone gets the service by default and it costs you nothing so you might as well give the old landline a try first if you don't have unlimited free mobile calls.

Hey, we have a Panasonic at home too! High-five!

But yeah, it's the same in Argentina. Add to that, it's more reliable to dial most service numbers and helplines (e.g. 0-800 numbers) through landline phones than through mobile phones. It's not just my mom who uses it a lot - I still do, too.

Years
    so we don't have a copper landline at my house anymore but i did port the phone number to a voip service since my dad wanted to keep the telephone number

so i set up a pbx in my house and pretty much have voip phones throughout because i'm that type of geek. see the attached photo!

Attachments

• Landline Phones
      PXL_20230215_005315806.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 1

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Same here. My grandparents still prefer a landline, even over stuff like, say, a Nokia 3310 or somesuch.

They're too used to it and refuse to change. We're not against it though, the landlines have a nostalgic charm to them

I am guessing older people tend to stick with what they know. I know that the elders in my family are not really that good with the internet either. lol

Years
    We still have the landline at our house. My parents mostly kept them so my younger siblings (who didn't have phones at the time) would be able to call them, but now all of us have phones. I don't really know why we still have them. No one in our house uses them anymore, and we just get a bunch of scam calls.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2024
    My grandmother has one and my grandpa does use it as well, though he has an iPhone as well, so it seems he's okay with either method for calling people. Myself, I only just had mine disconnected the other week. It belonged to my mother for several years but I was paying for the service as it was cheaper with me, but after she passed I had no more need for it and so ended the service so I'm not paying for something I'm not using. Most things dealing with that number are already tended to, anyway.

That said, if I do ever have kids or anything down the road, I'll probably have one set up because I don't want my kids at a young age to have unfettered access to a cellular device or a computer - I want them to learn to regulate themselves and use them responsibly. Having a landline phone to go back to basics will, in my opinion, help to establish that a cell phone isn't always the best option in some cases, and is just as good of an option as any other if they need to get a hold of me in an emergency, in addition to reducing that dependence on electronics.

Years
    Landline is still the main communication medium used by several office businesses here in the Philippines. That's why if I wanted to contact a certain store, I would really have to hope that they actively maintain their FB page or provide a mobile number, because we personally don't use landline in our house anymore, so it would be a struggle to call them.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Okay update - this is kind of a revolution

My grandparents actually got a mobile phone 😱😱😱😱
    It's a button phone... An old kind but finally an upgrade from the landline.

And they're learning how to use it!
    I stay at my college dorms so i can't go and help them just yet, but it's heartwarming to see my 90 year old grandpa still learn new things

Back