• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male or female player?

Years
    • Seen today
    It depends on which design I like more for each game. In some games like DPPt, BW, XY I like both. In other games like HGSS, ORAS and SM/USUM I normally pick the female because I don't like boy protagonist wearing shorts. So basically: if dude has shorts then give me the girl :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Male, because I like to be close to the anime as possible. It just seems weird to have a chick going against Gary lol.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I usually go for male more due to inertia than any other reason at this point. I never really saw it as "immersion" or something just like that, but I guess I just ended up picking male because it was sort of the default.

The only games I have strong preferences about the designs are BW2 because Nate's visor is just plain stupid, Gen VI because Calem's Hilbert but uglier and ORAS where Brendan looks great, is canonically not pasty white and you can rip that representation out of my cold dead hands owo

Gen VII and VIII had their player character design on point, like, congrats Game Freak. They're all cuties.

Years
  • I play as the girl character because the girl player characters have often better designs than the boy characters.

Years
  • I always play as the girl characters and usually choose the name Aria! Not really sure why, I just like it :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Unironically what happened to me

Male or female player?

my life :V

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • I'm genderfluid but AFAB so I typically choose the girl option, but if it's my second version of the game I'm playing I usually pick a boy. I'm also inclined to pick a boy occasionally just for fun!

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • If it's the first time I'm playing a game I'll pick the boy. Other than that, whichever I feel like picking at the moment :P

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • So far, all of my playthroughs have been as the female player character. As many here have said, they have better customization options than the male player characters. It's a shame though, because I was this close to using the male player character for my second Sw/Sh playthrough; he looks even more adorable than Gloria, and a bit more like myself than she does. I LOVED the plaid pants option he got, but I couldn't find a halfway decent bag. Boys could do with some more fashionable and practical options, you know?

I'm kinda glad they made clothing options gender-neutral in PLA and potentially in S/V... even though that comes with its own problems, like half of the options being just plain boring. Well, we can't have our cake and eat it.

Years
  • I used to always play as male called Janp, but ever since I started doing challenges, I pick both the gender and the name randomly.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I always go with male, but some games have plenty of customization for female so wynaut be a gurl..

Years
  • the female protags usually look better than the males so i play as them most of the time, except for gen 3 games- imo they're more iconic somehow.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I always choose the gender based upon my real life gender. I do this because I like to model the main character after myself. The only time I ever choose the opposite gender is when I take a strong liking to the character that is the opposite sex to me. When I do that, I give the character their actual name instead of my real name. However, this is still extremely rare for me to do, as I pick my own gender like 99% of the time. Thus far, the only game where I can truly say I liked the character of the opposite sex is in the generation six remakes, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Generally, I like to mix it up. In some playthroughs, I pick the boy and in others, I play as the girl.

I usually pick the boy on first playthroughs, though.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I prefer the male characters because I am not a feminine woman and prefer the male designs most of the time and I name them after fictional characters I am into.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I usually try and come up with a name that fits each trainer's challenge (usually monotype) or final team, and then pick a gender based on the name I end up picking. If it ends up being a gender-neutral name, I just pick the opposite gender of my last trainer.

Back