• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Male or Female?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When starting your latest save file in XY, which character did you wind up choosing--male or female--and why? What did you name them?

Years
  • I picked the female character just because I felt like doing that, and I named her Serena. I'm horrible at creating female names, it was either that or Awesome.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm horrible at creating female names, it was either that or Awesome.
    I dunno, going with Awesome might've been funny (at least for a awhile).

Anyway, on my one and only file on Y, I chose female like I normally have been for the past few generations, and went with Stella, which is one of my go-to female names.

Years
  • I play as the girl, which is a tradition I always do given I am female myself. She also usually gets named Nichole, which is of course my real life name. I'm not really good at coming up with names anyway lol.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I played as the dude this time around since it's what I usually go with and I feel more comfortable as playing one in general, name wise I dubbed the lad Dima since I felt like going with a different name for once.

Years
  • In my newest playthrough of X, a Blue Mono-Color, I named my character Skye, which is meant to represent the sky, which is blue. And i've dolled her up almost totally in blue, hat, tank top and all :P When I do challenges like that I try to name my character after something that fits well with the type/color i'm playing with. I did the same thing with my Red Mono-Color back in the spring; made my character a redhead with almost exclusively red clothing.

Of all my plays of XY, I think i've only chose the boy two or three times in total, one being my main copy of X where I have all my bred stuff and the like. I really enjoy character customization, so that's why I pick her so often.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I always get both versions of the games, so the first one I get, I play as the male, the second game I play as the female.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • My newest challenge on X for my "Random Challenge" I played as the female, called her Fiona.

When I start new teams, I alternate between male and female - not sure why, most times I choose female first than the male - name will vary depending on what challenge or team I will use.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    I normally always play as a guy and name him after myself, but on my most recent play through of X I chose the female purely because I wanted to try out the other customisation options

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2014
    Picked the male because i'm male and I named him Connor because that's my name. Very original, I know.

Years
  • I play as a female, coz i am female, and named her Nina.
    on my first playthrough i played as a male, coz i thought it looked a bit cooler (+ the male pratoganist usually has a bit cooler clothes)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've started another play-through last week, and this time around, I wound up selecting male player. I've selected female for last two, so I definitely needed some change of pace, so that it'd help keeping me interested and whatnot and lend me a push so that I could actually finish. As for name, I decided to go for "Coulson." It's based off a character named Phil Coulson, who is an agent of a fictional organization named Shield, whose job is to basically deal with things that none other organization could, such as super-villains, aliens, and so forth.

Have been watching a show called Agents of Shield a lot lately, which Agent Coulson was a star of, and I was very much attached to the character. If it weren't for that, I definitely wouldn't have selected this name.

Years
  • I got to admit that after carefully considering starting a new game i did yesterday, and i made a male toon, and named him Oliver. Mainly because i thought the kitty from Oliver and company was cute, + the name is a bit cute too, got a nice ring to it. :)

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I play as a male cause I am male but lately instead of using my real name Caelan I've been using a Elvish name I made up it's Aeridil and means loyal! Its pronounced Air-e-dell

Back