• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mario Kart 8 Races - PC style! (General/Tournaments)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    It's sorta tricky finding one single time where everyone can play though - Unless maybe someone else wants to volunteer to be a host?

Cause I think having two hosts will have more chances for everyone to play!

I haven't open up any groups on MK yet (so, not volunteering :p). But how does it work? Does the host (creator of group, I'm guessing) have to be present?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I haven't open up any groups on MK yet (so, not volunteering :p). But how does it work? Does the host (creator of group, I'm guessing) have to be present?

Well, for instance, you can create another Pokecommunity room on the online rooms of MK8, with a set time frame that works well with your timezones, and so, rather than havng like a 7 hr period each day, we can establish a time frame that works kinda well within a 24 hr period time frame (if that makes sense).

And no, they don't have to be present; the room automatically starts up when it's time - anyone can join in anytime~

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I believe you can leave a tournament open all day, right? I watch a Let's Player that leaves his room open all the time. Anyway...if we left it open at all times, people could jump in and race whenever works for them since the points can add up as long as two people play. You can turn off CPU so a single person can't go in and play alone to rack up points.

I might be wrong on some of that (I don't have my U with me right now), so let me know if any of that is wrong or unfeasible.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
    Rooms can be 24/7. I've played around with a setup myself. Some of the tourney setups are fairly restrictive as well as fairly open.

But in good news, my lag problem is gone this morning. I was able to get up to 1515VR in the races today, so yay.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Alright, I just created a new tournament room that lasts for 24hrs (well technically 23 hrs 30mins - that's how far it allows it to go to), so, yeah, hope you guys find this more convenient!

Ah, and here's the new code: 6073 - 6296 - 4704

I'll update this on the new OP! I've also increased the number of races to 12, so, there will be a better chance to hop right in and play.

I think on weekends is where we should start to have the tournaments for points, in which every point will count towards the end of the month and all. The thing is, I'm not sure when the majority of people here are available on weekends, so, what time would you guys say is beneficial to get together for racing?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    So the new tournament room is replacing the old one? I'm glad the race count was increased, I was always itching to race more after the eight were finished :P

Any time on Sunday would work for me. I can't make any promises about Friday and Saturday, but any time before 3PM EST should work out on Friday.

Cura

Years
    Oh, lets have a go at it then. :)

I'll be in there soon then. (most likely just camping around)

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    So what's going to happen with the old tournament room? And I may be unavailable this Saturday due to going to a day trip.

Cura

Years
    I'll try to be there in a bit. I have to eat lunch so yeah... give me like 15-20 minutes.

EDIT
    : I'm waiting for anyone.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    That was an excellent race, I could see Dragon was really pushing me to struggle to reach first place. thedestinedblade wasn't too bad either.

Edit: I was Raphael, thedestinedblade. My final race for today really turned against me.

Cura

Years
    I need to get back into the swing of things with Mario Kart in general.

Also, it seems the community is divided on the 'fire hopping' exploit in the game. A large group of people want the exploit patched out when the DLC comes in, others think its a 'pro-only' move and shouldn't be removed.

I'm going to ask everyone here, would you like the exploit removed? Or kept in the game?

@For All of Those who ask 'What is Fire Hopping?':
    Fire Hopping is an exploit technique that is found in Mario Kart 8. How does it work, it is simple. The technique can be used whenever you achieve a major mini-turbo (the yellow sparks under your tires), and let go of the right trigger or bumper button (either one). Normally, you get a good turbo boost that should last 3-4 seconds in length; HOWEVER, if one was to stab at the drift button like crazy this would cause the kart to hop. As long as you are in the air, the turbo will continue, leading to extremely quick and speedy pulls ahead.

To some, this is cheating since it is manipulation of the game's physics engine. To others, this is a chanced upon tool in racing. I'm personally on the fence with the idea... if you are one-on-one with the ai, sure. Use it to your heart's content, but if you are online and just 'magically lag wizarding' away from the rest due to fire hopping...well... I can see the upset outcry. But it is similar to L-blocking and other physic engine exploits in games, so I really do not see the public's need of outcry...

((I personally know how to use this exploit and love it when I have to use it.))

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I'm on the fence too. I don't like practicing things like this, honestly, but at the same time.. it's sort of like the 'hidden' mechanics of Mario Kart DS - people do them, and they're generally allowed to. Idk about this, but I'd love to hear more thoughts!

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    If it's a technique that anyone can use, then I view it as fair. If you can master this, and do better than other racers then props to you.

Back