• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

misconceptions.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    what do you think is the biggest misconception people have of you and how does it affect you?

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Online me and real me get perceived so freaking differently.

Online, often people think of me as stuck up, rude, or easily offended/angry, when it's quite the opposite. I hardly get really angry unless I'm feeling personally attacked for some reason. It's gotten me into hot water a few times in my online past. I just have this luck where people just think I'm so easily offended or that I am always looking to argue or something, when really I'm just pointing out something. A lot of the time I'll mention it as a warning that OTHER people might get offended by it, by other I mean specifically not me.

In real life, I'm a really easygoing person. I don't get upset much or ever really at all. I'm sort of, well, a bit emotionless. I don't ever cry or get angry. I'm just permanently chill. I am nice. Too nice. That's gotten me in trouble too. I've gone out of my way to help people before or to trust people because I see the good in people, yet, ironically, it always seems to bite me in the ass somehow. I'm a glass half full type of personality.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
  • That I'm a stoner.

No, seriously.

Irl my expression's kinda dull and droopy sometimes, mainly because I don't get much sleep and I get exhausted from social interaction really quickly. I guess it's not that bad most of the time; I just look like I'm halfway between pissed off and bored. But when I'm really tired, particularly the mornings, my expression does look a little akin to that of a stoner, I guess. Since I don't care how I look for the most part, though, I don't do much to hide it. However, it does piss me off when people take that flimsy evidence as enough to make the assumption that I'm a drug addict. I mean, seriously, come on!

I can't count how many times an actual stoner's crossed me in the hallway and was like "Yo, you stoned or something?" or "Yo, wanna smoke some pot?"

I'm not sure why it pisses me off. Maybe it's because I'm so resolute about never trying any drugs; ever.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    people think that i'm super smart. i take a bunch of Computer classes and honors, but the only reason i can get through them is because i've done enough of the subject to understand it and get a B. i am envious of those who get straight A's.

That I'm a stoner.

No, seriously.

Irl my expression's kinda dull and droopy sometimes, mainly because I don't get much sleep and I get exhausted from social interaction really quickly. I guess it's not that bad most of the time; I just look like I'm halfway between pissed off and bored. But when I'm really tired, particularly the mornings, my expression does look a little akin to that of a stoner, I guess. Since I don't care how I look for the most part, though, I don't do much to hide it. However, it does piss me off when people take that flimsy evidence as enough to make the assumption that I'm a drug addict. I mean, seriously, come on!

I can't count how many times an actual stoner's crossed me in the hallway and was like "Yo, you stoned or something?" or "Yo, wanna smoke some pot?"

I'm not sure why it pisses me off. Maybe it's because I'm so resolute about never trying any drugs; ever.

Ha! i have the same problem, but it's usualy because i stay up late.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • That I'm a lesbian:
    People automatically assume that I am one, once they find out that I've never had a boyfriend before. Well, I'm not. I like boys, so there's that.

That I'm a bad person:
    Being honest doesn't make me bad. That's all I have to say about that. Not gonna go deeper into it.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    A lot of people think I'm gay because I have a stereotypical gay personality and I've never dated anyone. Very few people realize that guys can have a personality and be straight.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • When people think I'm intimidating. @_@ I can only question that, since it was only from.. the way I looked.

I mean dudes, its only a beard. c:

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I honestly assume that other people perceive me in the worst ways that I truly don't know how I come off to others at all. Some people I know tell me I come off as unapproachable, but sometimes I find that confusing because in public people will often come up to me and try talking to me or at work I have so many customers who just ramble on and on to me but I can't tell if they're just lonely or something. I just wish I knew!!!

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Well, Online and Offline me are SO DIFFERENT:

Here, i'm trying to be as cheerful as i can be, witty, cynical, funny, friendly.

Offline though, i was anti-social, and still am shy and cold towards people. But that's because i kind of lost faith in the people of this country. When i'm abroad i'm trying to be like my online self, even got a girl's number somehow...it was really awkward at first, and she found it cute.

I'm actually a war, friendly person once you get to know me, but i got walls that make me seem Cold-hearted and someone called me a feelingless guy once, which was hurtful.

I'm not saying i'm perfect, i'm ♥♥♥♥ing messed up, but that's me online and offline, take it or leave it :P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    People think I'm...innocent is the best way to put it, in real life. Like I don't have sex, don't drink, would never touch drugs, and being around it will make me uncomfortable. I guess this is because I'm quiet.

It actually usually turns out in my favor because people don't just avoid me when they're doing that, they offer but point out that they don't think it's my thing (or in the case of sex they make a reference to me not wanting to talk about it), and then they get pleasantly surprised when I show them I'm not what they assumed. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • People assume that since I haven't had sex and make it clear I'm not interested means I haven't done anything sexual in my life or that I'm disgusted by it. Wrong. Very wrong. Did I just ruin someone's perception of me? Oh dear.

Sirfetch’d

People think that I can be overly clingy which isnt true but I just care deeply for my friends

Years
  • I suspect people think I'm pretty much an arrogant ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ IRL. There's a few reasons I guess - I'm sarcastic, I don't make eye contact, I'm usually pretty honest with my opinions and I'm strict/tough as a coach.

The reality is though, if you actually get to know me you'll know I'm pretty much riddled with insecurities and constantly put people I care about above myself. Sure I'm not a pleasant enemy to have, but if we get along I'm going to be a friend you want to keep. I can't help the eye contact, it's an autism thing and I can't help that I have a sarcastic personality either.

Another is people always assume I'm a hardcore gamer. The truth of the matter is I don't really game that much at all and I don't take it that seriously. I guess I just look it or something but there's along list of things I'm more likely to be seen doing then shooting imaginary people in the head.

Last edited:
    Years
  • People think that I'm scary, and intimidating in terms of my appearance, and then they apply that to my personality \: I do agree that majority of the time, I probably don't have the most friendly resting face out there (at times I do it on purpose so people don't approach me), but the corners of my mouth actually naturally turn downwards when I'm not doing anything. That in essence probably scares people from approaching me, and they would never realize that I'm actually a generally nice person unless you cross me :c

Yukari

When people think I'm intimidating. @_@ I can only question that, since it was only from.. the way I looked.

I mean dudes, its only a beard. c:

I had a similar problem. A lot of people in the past assumed I was a bully because I have always looked 2-3 years older then I am. Fortunately people don't make that assumption anymore. But I'm sure That I still intimidate people based on my appearance. I mean I'm 6 foot 2 and weigh 260 LBS.

Reddo

Happy!
    Years
  • A lot of people think I'm gay because I have a stereotypical gay personality and I've never dated anyone. Very few people realize that guys can have a personality and be straight.

Hahaha My misconception used to be quite the contrary... When I entered university, people generally assumed I was not gay, because I didn't knew anyone and was a bit quiet. Now I know almost everyone there and, well, I'm very talkative and... well... people notice more...
    But I agree with you, I have friends who have a personality and are staight.
    Also, people I know IRL generally think I'm some 5 years younger and assume I'm less experienced in arts and life in general (which is not entirely wrong '¬¬)... It's funny to see their reaction when I tell them my real age!

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • That I'm a lesbian -
    I flirt with my friends (especially my bisexual friend, I will admit) and it's nothing but a joke between us. I've even told people this and they still seem to believe I'm a lesbian.

That I have good grades -
    I'm quiet and people think that's because I dedicate myself to my studies. To be honest, I'm actually a C average and people perceive me as being book smart and a straight A student.

Years
  • People tend to think I'm lazy because I put off tasks nor do them immediately, such as get my laundry into the laundry room when asked to, like my mother assumes. However, I tend to be quick with tasks if I do get them done.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • People think I'm gay because I touch everyone's butts. But I'm not even remotely gay. It doesn't bother me though.

Back