• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most underrated/overhated Pokemon?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Since there's a thread about overrated Pokemon, I decided to make one for underrated Pokemon. Pokemon that you think don't get the love they deserve, or get too much hate.

I'd say Litten's final evolution is insanely overhated. I personally LOVE it, but many people are outraged that it's not quadrupedal anymore and I don't get it. I mean, how about Cyndaquil? That thing also went bipedal on its final evolution. But does it get hated for that? No.

Other Pokemon that I think deserve less hate include Mr. Mime, Jynx, Rhyperior, Seismitoad, and the Vanillite line.

What do you guys think is the most overhated or underrated Pokemon?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Litten might be because it's gone on for a lng time with Fire starters.

Anyway, Grimer. People dislike it, but its interssting and dark in R/B. I used to dislike it, bt then someone pointed out how it fit in.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Every Pokémon based off objects in Generations V and IV.

You hate on Trubbish, which exists to balance typings, but not Grimer, which has a boring design and an overused typing in Gen I? also, THE VANILLITE LINE IS NOT ICE CREAM.

And I gotta agree with whoever mentions Porygon. Pikachu caused those seizures, not Porygon.

Years
  • The Vanillite evolution line.

I don't get why people hate it so much (come on, Game Freak are not running out of ideas) but I think they're very cute, and while they lack movepool diversity they do have balanced stats. Vanilluxe even has a BST that is equal to Lapras, and that's damn good for a cute-looking final evolution.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Overrated - Charizard. I think that one is quite obvious.

Underrated - Lumineon. I feel like this Pokémon gets overlooked by the abundance of other strong Pokémon introduced alongside it, that and it isn't really all that common in the Sinnoh region. Finneon and Lumineon both have beautiful designs and I definitely think Lumineon particularly is a really viable Water-type Pokemon. It could have benefitted from being Water/Bug or even Water/Fairy, but I still feel like both of these Pokémon are more forgettable than most despite having pretty decent stats all round.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Charizard and Pikachu are totally overrated, along with the Mudkip line. But Zangoose is underrated.

Sure, it can get KO'd by a close combat, but it's rather wide movepool for a normal type gives it a whole load of combinations. Also, it needs a mega :P

Years
  • Underrated - Lumineon. I feel like this Pokémon gets overlooked by the abundance of other strong Pokémon introduced alongside it, that and it isn't really all that common in the Sinnoh region. Finneon and Lumineon both have beautiful designs and I definitely think Lumineon particularly is a really viable Water-type Pokemon. It could have benefitted from being Water/Bug or even Water/Fairy, but I still feel like both of these Pokémon are more forgettable than most despite having pretty decent stats all round.

This one I can get on board with, because it's actually one of my fave 4th Gen designs and the fact it barely gets used makes me feel bad for it since it does have decent rain abuse with its abilities. Given Finneon and Lumineon are appearing in the Alola regional Dex (fact: this is the line's first time in a regional Dex other than Sinnoh) I'm sure they'll get some attention again come Sun & Moon.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I think Muk is underrated. It's got huge tank potential and a great offensive movepool that includes ways of getting around its lack of speed. A total package in my book.

Also, Empoleon. The dapper penguin king has saved me so many times in competitive battling with its diverse attack capabilities and the Water/Steel combo makes it hard to take down. Empoleon is totally my favourite Water starter of all generations.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    Overrated- Greninja

Underrated- Delphox and Empoleon

Overhated- Probably Mightyena or Litten's final evo

Years
  • As for overrated? Almost all Gen I Pokémon, Lucario, and Greninja.

SERIOUSLY, GUYS.

Come now, there are lots of Generation I Pokémon that receive their fair share of hate. Lickitung, Tengela, Muk, Weezing, Voltorb and Electrode...

I think that Gardevoir is OU. Getting a Mega-Evolution hasn't helped alleviate the Problem and is the only non-Legendary Pokémon line to receive two Mega-Evolutions

Underrated? I'll side with Weezing (someone already took Muk). With only one Weakness and a high Defence stat Weezing is fully capable of Tanking and soaking up more than its fair share of punishment. It's one of the few Poison Type Pokémon that can learn Psychic type moves. Having Poison as a type isn't a weakness, as Weexing can also learn Fire type moves as well as Electric Type moves. With a great range and variety of coverage types, Weezing is the reason for Smogon.

Years
  • I think that Gardevoir is OU. Getting a Mega-Evolution hasn't helped alleviate the Problem and is the only non-Legendary Pokémon line to receive two Mega-Evolutions.

Gardevoir only has one Mega Evolution. I think you were supposed to say Charizard.

Years
  • Gardevoir only has one Mega Evolution. I think you were supposed to say Charizard.

Ah. I forgot Charizard indeed. I stand corrected! Gallade is in Gardevoir's evolutionary line so I still place it in this category. I still don't know why Charizard got two... I never use the thing so that's probably why I forgot it ohohohoho! There's probably going to be another Mega that I forgot, huh?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Why are we talking about overrated mons? We already have a thread for that...rite?

I'll second inanimate objects for now. I understood the Garbodor hate at first but now I'm getting tired of it.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • Most early game Bug-Types excluding Mega Beedrill are just underrated, with reasons like Ledian doesn't really have an offensive presence, Ariados and Kricketune being too slow along with the other frail Pokémon like Beautifly and Non-Mega Beedrill.

Same goes for Delcatty and Lickilicky, both on the same path.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Litten's final form is not overhated to me, simply because it is totally ridiculous for Litten and Dartrix to be quadrupedal (as expected) then all the sudden become both bipedal and totally anthropomorphic (which is creepy). Also the name Incineroar is complete garbage. I am glad it's Fire/Dark and not Fire/Fighting though.

I think Furfrou and Beautifly are a bit overhated. I like them both.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Litten's final form is not overhated to me, simply because it is totally ridiculous for Litten and Dartrix to be quadrupedal (as expected) then all the sudden become both bipedal and totally anthropomorphic (which is creepy). Also the name Incineroar is complete garbage. I am glad it's Fire/Dark and not Fire/Fighting though.

I think Furfrou and Beautifly are a bit overhated. I like them both.
    Litten actually evolves into Torracat, and Dartrix is Rowlet's evolution. And you say it's ridiculous for Litten to become bipedal? Well, it's not the first quadrupedal Pokemon to become bipedal. Look at Rhyhorn, Mareep, Mudkip, and Aron for example. Do they stay quadrupedal forever? No. Do their evolutions get hated for it? No. So Litten's final evo shouldn't get hated for it either, if you ask me.

Besides, there were also some Pokemon that were once bipedal, but later went quadrupedal. I'm talking about Meowth and Oshawott here. I think that's more ridiculous than quadrupedal Pokemon going bipedal.

Back