• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What's a good Raichu build for my friend? Preferably built around Electro Ball, but if there's anything better ones please advise. Also does Electro Ball count mid-battle stat changes and items that might boost speed?

Electro Ball is unreliable because while Raichu is fast, Electro Ball will be weak against targets hovering around the 100 Speed range. Thunderbolt is the reliable STAB:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Thunderbolt
    -Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Encore/Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Lightning Rod

Electro Ball counts mid-battle stat changes in Speed, but not the Speed boost granted by Choice Scarf.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    How's this, and what EVs and Nature?

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Blaze (Mega: Drought)
    -Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam
    -Roost
    -Unknown, maybe a good Electric counter.

Fire Blast is a bit too unreliable IMO.

My friend said he wanted it to be defensive, but have some good offensive power similarly to the Charizard X build I used earlier from this thread:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/152 Atk/108 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze (Mega: Tough Claws)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    How's this, and what EVs and Nature?

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
    Ability: Blaze (Mega: Drought)
    -Flamethrower
    -Solar Beam
    -Roost
    -Unknown, maybe a good Electric counter.

Fire Blast is a bit too unreliable IMO.

My friend said he wanted it to be defensive, but have some good offensive power similarly to the Charizard X build I used earlier from this thread:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/152 Atk/108 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze (Mega: Tough Claws)

Timid or Modest are the best natures for Mega Zard Y, and the best EV spread is 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense to maximize it's sheer offensive power. In your final slot you'll wanna put in Focus Blast to hammer stuff like Heatran and Tyranitar, since Heatran is immune to Flamethower and Tyranitar can tank a SolarBeam and then render it useless when its sandstorm blows in.

The usual bulky Dragon Dance Mega Zard X is like this:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze (Tough Claws)
    EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

But your EV spread might work too.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    I kind of want to train a Luxray and was wondering what's a good move set for it? And if I should use guts over intimidate?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I kind of want to train a Luxray and was wondering what's a good move set for it? And if I should use guts over intimidate?

Intimidate or Guts is up to personal preference. As for sets (these ones may need moves from past generations):
    -Wild Charge
    -Superpower
    -Ice Fang
    -Crunch/Volt Switch
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate/Guts

or
    -Wild Charge
    -Superpower
    -Facade
    -Crunch
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Superpower
    -Hidden Power (Grass)
    -Signal Beam/Volt Switch
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 60 Atk/252 SAtk/196 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Intimidate

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    While I was creating a (somewhat gimmicky) set for a Special Sweeper Phione, I encountered a problem that I already had a couple of times ago (and which I never managed to solve). As a Special Sweeper having a SpA or Spe boosting nature is a given, but since mine also has U-Turn that means a Modest or Timid Nature would cut a little bit of U-Turns power. Since using a neutral Nature isn't desirables, the only other option would be a Nature that gives a drop in one of the defenses. That would mean losing out on bulk in favor for the attack stat, but less bulk seems undesirable, too.

I'm not asking for sets, but rather an explanation on how I should handle with these nature determining processes. ^^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    While I was creating a (somewhat gimmicky) set for a Special Sweeper Phione, I encountered a problem that I already had a couple of times ago (and which I never managed to solve). As a Special Sweeper having a SpA or Spe boosting nature is a given, but since mine also has U-Turn that means a Modest or Timid Nature would cut a little bit of U-Turns power. Since using a neutral Nature isn't desirables, the only other option would be a Nature that gives a drop in one of the defenses. That would mean losing out on bulk in favor for the attack stat, but less bulk seems undesirable, too.

I'm not asking for sets, but rather an explanation on how I should handle with these nature determining processes. ^^

Just stick with Modest/Timid. Some people don't use U-turn for the damage, but for the scouting utility it has.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    Which Starter Should I Use? PKMN Platinum

Should I Use Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup?

Please Answer I Need Answers For A Let's Play!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Should I Use Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup?

Please Answer I Need Answers For A Let's Play!
    Chimchar is the best out of three. It's very good offensively thanks to its solid mixed attack stats, high Speed, diverse movepool, and gets good dual typing early in the game. Piplup is a reliable Water Pokemon, and gets a useful Steel-typing later on. Turtwig is also nice, but I'd say it's the worst of the three because Grass pales by comparison with Fire and Water's offensive utility. It also has a nasty double weakness to Ice.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Making Mantyke work in one of my OU teams.

Mantyke @ Eviolite
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    Modest Nature
    - Air Cutter
    - Blizzard
    - Confuse Ray
    - Scald

Trying to decide if it would be better to put some HP EVs into phydef and then don't really know what moves I should use. Hydro Pump or Scald, and then thinking about something different instead of confuse ray.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Making Mantyke work in one of my OU teams.

Mantyke @ Eviolite
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    Modest Nature
    - Air Cutter
    - Blizzard
    - Confuse Ray
    - Scald

Trying to decide if it would be better to put some HP EVs into phydef and then don't really know what moves I should use. Hydro Pump or Scald, and then thinking about something different instead of confuse ray.
    Mantyke wouldn't really work in OU, tbh. It lacks offensive presence and reliable recovery. Other bulky Water Pokemon do what Mantyke can do better, like Quagsire and Vaporeon. It's not that physically bulky, even with Eviolite taken in account. Yes, Mantyke can check Charizard Y even without specially defensive investment, but it's still wide open to physical attackers.

Even then, the best, albeit small, niche that Mantyke has to offer is Defog support like its big brother Mantine, but there are plenty of Pokemon that do the Defogging role better, like Mandibuzz and Lati@s.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Mantines best role is on stall/bulkier teams where it walls Char-Y, Landorus-I, Keldeo and some other stuff (non Stone Edge Gyara etc) and as said Defogs. Its pretty decent tbh just needs some Heal Bell and/or Wish Support cos of Rest.

Just dont use Mantyke if you like winning lol.

Mantine@Leftovers
    248 Hp / 192 Def / 68 Sp.Def
    Calm Nature
    Trait: Water Absorb
    - Scald
    - Defog
    - Toxic / Sleep Talk
    - Rest

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
    I am currently in the process of building a trick-scarf male meowstic, here is currently what's it at:

M-Meowstic
    Ability: Prankster
    Moves: Trick, ?, ?, ?
    Item: Choice Scarf

What is some other moves I should add to my meowstic to support the trick-scarf strategy as well as the EVs

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I am currently in the process of building a trick-scarf male meowstic, here is currently what's it at:

M-Meowstic
    Moves: Trick, ?, ?, ?

What is some other moves I should add to my meowstic to support the trick-scarf strategy as well as the EVs

Meowstic is better with Dual Screens, IMO, since it would rather use Light Clay to extend the duration of Reflect/Light Screen. But TrickScarf is viable if you don't mind:
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Trick
    -Thunder Wave/Yawn
    -Reflect/Light Screen
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe or 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    What's a good Mega Mawile build? I want to get one for the upcoming Fairy-only competition.

EDIT: And a good Carbink one.

Last edited:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    What's a good Mega Mawile build? I want to get one for the upcoming Fairy-only competition.

EDIT: And a good Carbink one.

Mawile@Mawilite
    132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    Trait: Intimidate --> Huge Power
    - Swords Dance
    - Play Rough
    - Sucker Punch
    - Knock Off / Iron Head / Fire Fang

Mawile@Mawilite
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Play Rough
    - Sucker Punch
    - Focus Punch

Carbink sucks, its inferior to Diancie.

Diancie@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Atk
    Quiet Nature
    - Diamond Storm
    - Moonblast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power Fire

Diancie@Leftovers
    252 HP / defensive split
    Relaxed/Sassy Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Diamond Storm
    - Rest

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Mawile@Mawilite
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Play Rough
    - Sucker Punch
    - Knock Off / Iron Head / Fire Fang

Mawile@Mawilite
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Play Rough
    - Sucker Punch
    - Focus Punch

Carbink sucks, its inferior to Diancie.

Diancie@Leftovers
    252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 Atk
    Quiet Nature
    - Diamond Storm
    - Moonblast
    - Stealth Rock
    - Hidden Power Fire

Diancie@Leftovers
    252 HP / defensive split
    Relaxed/Sassy Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonblast
    - Diamond Storm
    - Rest
    Does anyone know when the event for Diancie is?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Does anyone know when the event for Diancie is?

Currently, the Diancie event is Japan-only. It runs from July 19-September 30. Wait for the official US Pokemon site to announce the English release date of Diancie.

Also, here's a much better Diancie set, as its bad defensive typing makes it hard to set up Calm Mind:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Diamond Storm
    -Moonblast
    -Toxic
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

Jarachie

Shocking, isn't it?
    Years
    EV training advise

Ok, so Ive been a fan of pokemon for quite a few years now, and ive been getting better on battling competitively and such, but I still have a few questions, and im gonna ask one of them now,

My Mamoswine has a EV spread in attack 252, and I split the rest of them to its defenses, (more to specail defense because its lower, and I wanted it to have even defenses. But then I found a question, I wanted to make Mamaswine take both specail hits and defensive hits well, and since it had lot of HP, I just guessed it would be better to EV the defenses, but now im wondering, what would be more effiecent for Mamoswine to take hits? 252 Ev in HP, or split it in its defenses?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back