• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

Will you be getting the new 3DS/3DS XL when it is released?

• Definitely!

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Nah, I'll pass...

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I tend to keep mine off most of the time, it does tend to hurt my eyes after a while, at time it does tend to make X or Y a bit slow at times.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I keep it on all the time except for a few instances

1) If I'm just hanging around the menu, like StreetPass.
    2) Pokemon - it's off most of the time anywhere and then slows down battles
    3) If I don't like the effect - which is usually a "look in" boxy effect rather than enhanced depth perception

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I hardly ever use the 3D effect. Never thought that it made things look better/cooler, and I was never into the whole 3D fad. Not to mention that the 3DS seems to have difficulty handling it sometimes and the game lags a bit. Lag's no fun.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I've only found myself using it when I'm playing a game for the first time, for big or climactic story cut scenes. I turn the 3D off when I'm battling in Pokémon, even though it's 3D-enabled because let's be real, with as often as you're supposed to battle in the game I don't see how people don't get headaches after like twenty minutes of playing.

Plus, I take my glasses off when I play my 3DS because I'm near-sighted and I hold my 3DS pretty close to my face, so I have to put my glasses back on just for 3D scenes which I can't be bothered to do half the time because I'm so lazy.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    3DS video game recommendations.

First off, let me just say that that only video games I play are pretty much Pokémon, Legend of Zelda, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. I only have a 3DS, so my options I think are really restricted. Fire Emblem is my current favorite. Out of all the video games I ever played, Kingdom Hearts 2 is another one of my favorites. I also like Splinter Cell (Splinter Cell: Conviction was the one I played) and this ninja game called Tenchu. And of course, the classic Super Mario and Super Smash Brothers.

So with that in mind, do you guys have any recommendations for video games I can play or should check out? I went to Game Stop today and didn't find anything interesting except for this game called Conception 2. But the back of the box was ugly, so I dismissed it. Also, before anyone mentions it, I already have Tales of the Abyss and I have not hated a game more in my life. But that's not to say I don't like that style of gaming, since I like being able to freely control characters in battle.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    why do you hate tales of abyss? i've never played it before :o i do like jrpg's
    i would definitely try bravely default. that's probably my favorite game i've ever played. it's a jrpg. it's a final fantasy spin off with classes and just leveling up your character through dungeon battles.
    i love it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Bravely Default. It's a classic in many peoples eyes. Although if your not a fan of repetiveness, you might not be such a big fan of it. The 1st half of the game is amazing, but the second half is pretty meh in comparison (people who have played Bravely Default hopefully know what I'm talking about.)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Go with Bravely Default. It's an RPG, but different than the likes of both Fire Emblem and Tales of the Abyss. Can't believe you hate that, btw. I know you love the anime so that must suck for you. Back to BD, it's got really great characters (I think you'll love Ringabel even though you remind me a bit more of Tiz...just in looks though haha) and is overall a fun game to play.

Conception 2 is strange. The name alone...just ugh. I looked at the back of the box and dismissed it myself. "Create the perfect child!" I'd rather not.

I know you probably want to stay away from what you already enjoy, but definitely check out Link Between Worlds if you haven't. I don't know if you already have that or if you were referring to Ocarina of Time 3D when you said you had Zelda.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Lol, people, Conception is fun =D It's Atlus doing crazy stunts and... classmating =D
    But yea, it isn't a game that I would recommend to anyone... it's JRPG to the Japanese extreme =D

I would recommend Shin Megami Tensei series and its soon coming spin-off Persona Q (Etrian Odyssey gameplay, Persona storyline)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    If you liked Kingdom Hearts 2, why not try Kingdom Hearts 3D? You won't quite get the full story since you haven't played Birth by Sleep - but you don't have a PSP or a PS3 (BbS HD is coming out in December) so it's kind of a moot point.

Otherwise, Animal Crossing is a nice pick-up-and-play game. Kid Icarus Uprising is fun, content-packed, and has a great sense of humor, so that might be worth it if you can get used to the controls. Mario Kart is fun as usual. A lot of people would recommend Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, but I personally found both of them to be fairly mediocre entries in their respective series - might still be worth checking them out since my opinion is in the minority.

Nillemi

Under my Rock
    Years
    Well then How about Tales of the Ab....

Also, before anyone mentions it, I already have Tales of the Abyss and I have not hated a game more in my life. But that's not to say I don't like that style of gaming, since I like being able to freely control characters in battle.

Oh...
    If you didn't Like Tales of the Abyss I got nothing really.

Well, Unless Shovel Knight Counts.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. By quoting what I said before.

Well I had planned on doing a "Machomuu's Recommendations" for the Christmas season, but that time's passed, so might as well post here.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Nintendo 3DS Discussion

3DS and Vita

The sequel to 999: 9 Persons, 9 Doors, 9 Hours (a game that I previously recommended), Virtue's Last Reward is about a college student named Sigma who is kidnapped and, when he wakes up, finds himself in a strange room with a mysterious girl named Phi and a peculiar bracelet on his arm. After seeking a way out of the room, he is introduced to a cast of seven other characters, all of whom seem to be in a similar situation as Sigma. They are then greeted by a charismatic rabbit named Zero Jr. The rabbit tells them that they are apart of the Nonary Game, and the goal for the game is simple, open the number 9 door. How this is done is simple, a player simply has to flash their bracelet over the scanner when it displays the number 9.

The bracelets all of an initial value of 5, and to raise the value they need to complete trials with the help of two other members and then vote whether they want to Ally or Betray the player (or players, if their Bracelet says that they are a solo). If both the solo and the pair pick Ally, they gain 2 points. If they both choose Betray, they both gain no points. If a one chooses Ally and the other chooses betray, the traitor gains 3 points while the ally loses 2. Now, the logical solution would be that each time they are able to vote, everyone chooses Ally each time. After 3 votes, everyone would be able to get out all at once, right?

There's a catch, though. Well, two of them (if not more). The first of them is that the door only opens for nine seconds, only those who have nine points can enter (lest they die), and once the door closes, it closes for good. The second is that if someone's points reach 0 or below, they are injected with a lethal poison.

What this creates is an engaging and tension filled experience where the lines between cooperation and competition are blurred. When it comes down to voting time, VLR turns into a game of trust, and because of how well the characters are developed over the time that the player spends with them, this does incredibly well to make the player feel the weight behind their decisions as if they were Sigma themselves. The game does well to portray the emotions of the characters, and the sadness or bonafide anger after they've been betrayed by someone they thought they trusted (and vice versa). It's that human element that truly makes that portion of VLR so engaging, but that is only a brief portion of the game.

Much of the game is told in Visual Novel format, so there's a good deal of text. Unlike the first one, all of the lines are voiced. The US version has included the well done dub that features experienced and fitting voice actors such as Laura Bailey, Liam O' Brien, and Travis Willingham. Both the US and European versions contain the Japanese voice acting, though the US version contains both English and Japanese. In comparison to the original, the characters are far more expressive than they were in the original game, and in place of the 2D sprites with fluid animations, Virtue's Last Reward uses 3D models. The game also uses pictures and short animated videos to show action on screen, so as to keep the player interested, and it spares no expense in doing so.

Despite the grim tone of the game, Virtue's Last Reward manages to be a lot brighter and more colorful than its predecessor, and it does so without disrupting the atmosphere. The characters also feel more human, often making jokes and acting as normal people would in such a situation that they're in (this is partially due to the lack of a time limit, unlike the first game, which gave them nine hours). With that in mind, the humor in this game can often times be laugh-out-loud funny, and it does really well in developing the characters.

Finally, there's the puzzles. Dear God, the puzzles. In 999, I had a hard time just beating the puzzles without a guide. I didn't manage, and I did use a guide. I decided against that in VLR, even opting to play on Hard Mode (which changes some of the extra rewards and disallows your partners from give you hints on when you're stuck). I can say without a doubt that this game's puzzles are not only much more difficult than those of the original, but also much more involved and fun as well. While there may be those of you out there who are thinking "Puzzles? I'll pass", I recommend against it. I'm not a puzzle fan myself, but VLR is just such an engaging experience that I actually enjoyed doing the puzzles (and it was INCREDIBLY satisfying when I figured them out on my own).

And, even with all of that, I've barely touched on what makes Virtue's Last Reward so great: the story. VLR has a story that I would easily deem the greatest in gaming (and one of the best in storytelling period, though that might be a stretch) in a heartbeat. The world of VLR is so detailed and so well constructed that it could pull pretty much anyone in. VLR does not simply try to be a game that the player will complete and put away, it was meant to be an experience that will stay with the player days, weeks, and even months after they play it, with an ending (or rather, many endings) that will hit the player emotionally and leave them wanting more. With each playthrough, the game gives the player just enough information to piece the story together and theorize about the big picture, something that will still be incomplete after going through all of the endings (which you will, you won't be able to stop yourself if you enjoy the game). I simply cannot recommend this game enough, and I feel that it is probably one of the most overlooked titles of all time as well as one of my favorites, definitely my favorite 3DS/Vita title. I'd even go as far as to say that it contends for being one of the greatest games of all time.

Digitally, the game's $25 dollars on the 3DS and it was previously free to PS+ subscribers, so please do yourself and Chunsoft a favor and buy this game.

We need to bring that thread back, by the way. It was a good idea and warranted more contributions than it got. And the contributions that were there were pretty darn quality.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    We need to bring that thread back, by the way. It was a good idea and warranted more contributions than it got. And the contributions that were there were pretty darn quality.

Bring that up to Klippy, Matt, or Shawn! :)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    You have some of these already, but they're worth repeating for others as good, safe bets that are well-worth looking into:

- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
    - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    - Phoenix Wright: Duel Destinies (and the upcoming release of the Trilogy)
    - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    - Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
    - Bravely Default
    - Mario Kart 7 (maybe outdated now if you have a Wii U and MK8)
    - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    - Professor Layton (both "Miracle Mask" and "Azran Legacy")
    - Pushmo (and Crashmo)
    - Pokémon X & Y Versions
    - Super Mario 3D Land
    - Project X Zone
    - Resident Evil Revelations
    - Kid Icarus: Uprising (and, personally, I think the 3D Classics release of the NES Kid Icarus is great)
    - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    - Shovel Knight
    - SteamWorld Dig
    - Theatrhythm

Yukari

Try Shin Megami Tensi: Devil Survivor Overclocked. It's a Strategy RPG like Fire Emblem but it also includes a lot of elements from the SMT series like fusing Demons and such.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back