• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed!

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I've heard from some people who aren't being paid to give good reviews that the 3D is really sucky and it just makes you go cross-eyed. For now 3D is best left with the glasses on.

Last edited:

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I've heard from some people who aren't being paid to give good reviews that the 3D is really sucky and it just makes you go cross-eyed. For now 3D is best left with the glasses on.

Those 'some people' being...who, exactly? Or are we into the realms of 'my third cousin's girlfriend's boyfriend's brother's house-mate read on the internet'?

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

Like? Internet links are preferred.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Those 'some people' being...who, exactly? Or are we into the realms of 'my third cousin's girlfriend's boyfriend's brother's house-mate read on the internet'?
    https://twitter.com/phillyd

I'll take his word for it.

I've also read from a few different articles that you have to keep your head really still while playing or else you don't get the 3D completely, which could get tedious.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Maybe we should just lock this thread and make a sticky called the "Nintendo 3DS Discussion" (if fonts work, then this is it!) Anyway, new question-

What games do you want to buy when the 3DS comes out?

For me it's the following-
    Ocarina of Time 3D
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Paper Mario 3DS
    Mario Kart 3DS
    Kid Icarus: Uprising (maybe)

Also, there are talks about SSB for the 3DS.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Paper Mario, and probably Mario kart the rest are more bleh.

Super Smash Bros. would be beast though.

Years
    Sorry... what do you mean?

I'm guessing Super Smash Brothers 3D? But I don't recall anybody talking about it in the Iwata videos I've seen D:

https://twitter.com/phillyd

I'll take his word for it.

I've also read from a few different articles that you have to keep your head really still while playing or else you don't get the 3D completely, which could get tedious.

Uh...you say it's rubbish because of Philip DeFranco? Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but he's hardly 'some people'. He is in fact 'a person' who adores Sony IIRC. :|

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The 3DS interests me but... idk, I love 3D in the theatres and my family has agreed that as soon as an (affordable) TV comes out that can do 3D without the glasses, we'll be buying one, but I'm not overly pumped for the 3DS. :/ I'm not even sure why.

I am already looking forward to the games on it. Specifically the new Paper Mario omg. Back to its turn-based roots (after the abomination that was SPM) and eeeeee. :> Guess I'm also looking forward to the Kingdom Hearts game but since it shows KH1 Sora & Riku, I'm having issues with where it fits into canon and thus have no confidence that it's not going to be a useless spinoff for the sake of printing money. :(

Years
    I'm sorry my source isn't up to your standard. ;(

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so critical. I just can't credit one opinion in the face of hundreds, most of them from professional technology bloggers...but hey, I might be completely wrong and PhillyD completely right. We'll have to wait and see (:

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be so critical. I just can't credit one opinion in the face of hundreds, most of them from professional technology bloggers...but hey, I might be completely wrong and PhillyD completely right. We'll have to wait and see (:
    It's just I hold the opinion of someone who seems down-to-earth and real to higher regard than of some professional tech blogger who is more interested in the specs and technical side of things rather than the overall playability of it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I want to see some anime-style RPG's. Once I do, and they're exclusive to 3DS, then I'll consider picking it up.

But there's no point in buying a game device, no matter how impressive the specs are (and they seem quite impressive) if none of the games on it capture my interest.

3DS is still something I'm keeping my eye on, though...

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Did you see the trailer where the nintendo creators get sucked in the 3DS? Did you see the bowser bit? Is that gonna be a real game? I hope it will be :D

The graphics looks absolutally amazing! Have you seen the trailer for the Kid guys game? Thats Wii like graphics right there... or atleast PS2 or gamecube ?

Years
    It's just I hold the opinion of someone who seems down-to-earth and real to higher regard than of some professional tech blogger who is more interested in the specs and technical side of things rather than the overall playability of it.

When he stated that you had to go cross-eyed for the 3D effect, he lost all credibility. While true, it's effectiveness is different for different people, stating something like that as fact for everybody instantly says that he knows very little about what he is talking about, especially when that's not how the tech works at all (read: directing an image into each eye). Plus, although on a different note, he's a vlogger on YouTube. What makes him more down to earth than any tech blogger like Joshua Topolsky? These tech bloggers aren't paid for praising a company when they go to an event like E3, they are just paid to go and report on what they see. They will throw their opinions into their articles, sure, but that's it.

I'm not one to deny someone their opinion, but when some things are wrong, it holds no water to me.

As for the design of the console, I like it. The only thing I really don't like is the black bezel around the 3D screen. It's probably meant to keep your attention up to the 3D screen and prevent you from losing track of sight on your game, but it's kind of ugly. Only a small nitpick, though, as I do like the rest of the aesthetics. The headphone port in the middle of the console is really nifty, though.

The 3D is a little bit of a concern for me, as I have ptosis and some other eye conditions that usually prevent me from seeing 3D stuff correctly, but if it works, then I'm good to go. Otherwise, oh well, I'm not crying a river over something that can be turned off.

The game lineup so far, though, looks great, even for a console that hasn't launched yet. No wonder why the DS lost it's stream of good games last year. For launch, I'll probably end up getting (if available, of course), Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Paper Mario.

But if you get one, which color would you choose?
    -I'm going with gray.

Years
    But if you get one, which color would you choose?
    -I'm going with gray.

Initially I was all keyed up for the red version, but whenever I see it compared with the blue version I usually end up preferring the blue. I'll wait to see store demo models, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the blue version. :>

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I have a feeling I'll be camping out for this one. I camped outside the store for the Wii, and this just looks a thousands times better. The only problem I have with the 3DS is that it has such a glossy finish. I had hoped that had gone out of style with the DS Lite. :/

Well it looks to me as if the only part that's glossy is the top half of the inside, not the whole thing.

Guess I'm also looking forward to the Kingdom Hearts game but since it shows KH1 Sora & Riku, I'm having issues with where it fits into canon and thus have no confidence that it's not going to be a useless spinoff for the sake of printing money. :(

Well it's already canon because it's simply a remake of a Japan only game, so that won't be a problem. If you are wondering, it takes place after KHII. As for the useless spin-off, I think it's along the lines of what Re: Chains of Memories was to Chains of Memories, basically a streamlined, graphically improved version.

Back