• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon that you didn't care for before

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Is there any Pokémon you didn't really care for during its debut generation, but ended up using it or even become part of your favorites? Or is there any Pokémon you would like to use in the future? Share us your experiences or thoughts!

Here's mine:
    Eevee is iconic with its multi-evolution form from the moment it made its debut. However, I didn't pay much attention to it. GSC changed it's fate in my book, Espeon and Umbreon made Eevee as one of my all time favorite, later Eevee brought Leafeon, Glaceon and recently Sylveon entered the Pokémon scene.

Yanma is one of those Pokémon that I didn't give much attention to during Gen II and III, I catch them for Pokédex purposes but that was that and no more interactions afterward. Finally gained an evolution during Gen IV, I didn't pay much attention to it either. Recently I tried Yanma after getting inspired from Aaron the Sinnoh Elite Four. I was like, hmm let's see what this giant dragonfly is made of. Loved it ever since that moment!

Mawile I always wanted to use her the moment I learned she has Sheer Force as her Hidden Ability. When she received a Mega Evolution in Generation VI, I was like, 'I gotta use Mawile,' She didn't disappoint me and obviously there are no regrets!

Swablu line Swablu and her evolution, Altaria are cute. Winona's elegant for having one as her signature Pokémon. But that was it; I didn't hate the Swablu line, it was just that there were better options than her. That Mega Evolution that graced in OrAs, while I'm still not a fan of the Mega's design, undeniably Mega Altaria is a great asset to the team!

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Golett line - In Gen 5 the Golett line was a pair of blue robot things that I couldn't care less about. In X I caught a Shiny Golett which turned out to be my first ever Shiny. The great colour scheme helped but also I could fly on a huge stone Golem.

Gardevoir - Yes, my favourite Pokemon of all time was nowhere to be seen in my team for my Sapphire run. I only saw Ralts in Wally's team and thought it was a Grass-type which I didn't need as I had Treecko. In Platinum I caught a Ralts and found out it was a Psychic Type. It became the main player of my team and has been a mainstay of my team ever since. I even went back to Gen 3 and did an Emerald run using Ralts as my 'starter'. It went on to single handedly beat the Elite 4 and Wallace and won Master Rank in the Smart Contests.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone. I first saw it on my Emerald, and thought it was one of those boring pokemons. I used Breloom then to paralyze. But White 2 came, and I preferred using Magnezone, since he has Thunderwave(which is more sure to paralyze) unlike Stun spore. Magnezone also gives my team type diversity, adding Steel and Electric to my types.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    The funny part is, this is often kind of how my mind works. Some of the things I am absolutely the MOST obsessed with started as things I didn't care about... or even hated. My favorite video game of all-time and my absolute favorite super hero (both of which I am totally obsessed with) started out as things I wanted nothing to do with and thought were terrible. Rarely works the opposite, though. If I like something immediately I usually always like it, although sometimes not AS much over time.

Gardevoir: I've never been big on Psychic types (especially pure), and it always honestly put me off that it looked Grass-type but had nothing to do with it. Finally, in Generation VI it became part Fairy-type, and that made me -really- want to use it. Combine that with it getting a Mega, and me finally seeing it's AMAZING shiny, and it's since made it into my top 20 favorite Pokemon.

Nidoqueen: As a long, long time obsessive fan of Nidoking... Nidoqueen just kind of seemed bland to me. She had similar qualities to N'King, but in every regard I cared about they were all... lesser. She didn't look as strong, as unique, and I'll admit the boobs put me off. Over time I've started to appreciate her own unique qualities, though... and the boobs don't bug me as much. I still feel like they should have colored more of her chest in tan to blend them more, but she has her own charms. Still yet to use her, though, and I still love N'King infinitely more.

Deoxys: Originally one of my most hated Legendaries, Deoxys hit a point where it randomly became one of my absolute favorites. I couldn't pin-point exactly what made me like it so much, or even why I hated it SO much to begin with. It seemed... too random and goofy looking to me before, and the idea of it being space DNA bugged me. I have... absolutely no idea why that did, though, since that's one of the things I like the most about it now. There's really not much I don't love about Deoxys, other than its Speed Forme... which I admit I don't care for.

There's plenty of others, such as Dialga (with very similar reasons to Deoxys), but I'd be at it for a while.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    Some Pokémon really needed an evolution, like Yanma, Murkrow, Misdreavus and Sneasel. Those evolutions have certainly made me appreciate more and in the case of Honchkrow even to a level of one of my favorite Pokémon.
    Another important way that made me like Pokémon a lot more is writing about them, in roleplays, stories, etc. This has had its impact on Litwick, Goomy, Swinub, Venonat and Remoraid. I even consider Chandelure as my favorite Pokémon at the moment and I doubt it would have been without having used it in some small story.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    For me it was:
    Noivern: I didn't really like his design at first, but after using him in battle, I began to like his flying animation. Now he's one of my favorites.
    Sliggoo: Same reasoning as Noivern, except I I began to like this pokemon thanks to the new Amie feature.
    Sylveon: I love eeveelutions, but I hated Sylveon. Her design just didn't seem to fit in with the others and she stood out. She's also one of the tallest eeveelutions even though being a fairy-type, I just kinda imagined her to be a bit smaller. After using it in battle, however, I've decided that this eeveelution is not so bad. I'm starting to get used to her design.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    My taste in Pokemon have really skewed over the years to favor the more oddball or underrepresented Pokemon. I feel like I've been kinda getting to appreciate them more and more lately for their general quirkiness like Garbodor (loved him right after I saw the Totoro connection) and Electrode, and in the case of the latter I always ask myself "nobody uses them, so I want to give them a go for myself" like Hariyama and Bastiodon.

They're generally all Pokemon I didn't care for either. My preference leans towards the unorthodox side lately. It's why I stopped using starter Pokemon over the year in favor of those Pokemon. (Exception being my first playthrough in a new gen)

See these five:

They're my top 5 favourites, and I used to be completely indifferent towards them, and in the case of Hitmonchan I despised him until I picked up boxing haha. My favourites always switched throughout the years, but favored more of Pokemon that stood out (Lugia, Groudon, Charizard, Aerodactyl, Sceptile) until I started leaning towards the odd ones out, and Farfetch'd has been holding on that throne for longer than all of them right now haha.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The Pokémon that I like hasn't really changed as much as it has expanded. I used to be a lot more selective when it came to Pokémon because I used to base more on appearance instead of usefulness. These days I like a lot of Pokémon for how they battle competitively and/or their usefulness in-game.

To name a few:

I don't know why I didn't like Nidoqueen and the other Nido-things, but they always used to annoy me whenever I played FireRed/LeafGreen. I guess they just seemed lame to me. I never really realized how great they could be until recently. Same thing goes for Ludicolo. It was always a little weird to me, but now I really like it. Maybe I just like how happy it is.
    As for Keldeo, I just couldn't stand the Swords of Justice for whatever reason, but Keldeo's usefulness in competitive battling has really made it grow on me.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I overlooked Mothim in DPPT. It was one of the Pokémon that I never thought about, but after I got X, I was looking through sprites to see what I wanted to Shiny-hunt next and thought Shiny Mothim looked nice. After hatching over 1,000 eggs (literally) and three female Burmy in the process, I finally hatched a Shiny male that I evolved into Mothim. Now it's one of my top faves (though I'm still not a huge fan of regular Mothim).

I also overlooked Persian for a long time. Meowth always seemed like a more interesting design (I mean, Persian just looks like a cartoon cat with a marble on its head). However, after hatching a Shiny Meowth in Black 2, I decided to evolve it because I thought the pink tips looked a little weird. Since then, Persian slowly started growing on me more than Meowth.

Last edited:

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years
    Gardevoir and Roserade were two Pokemon I never thought highly of, until I restarted my save for Pokemon Diamond and I realized that they were much better than what I gave them credit for. To this day, I make it so I have Gardevoir on my team, since it can take down dragons. As for Roserade, I have one, but my fondness for the Pokemon is starting to go away.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I had always overlooked Venomoth, even back in Gen 1. Only recently did I realize the combination of Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, and Baton Pass = a great Pokemon to have on your OU team.

There's also a lot of Pokemon that I never found much use for until the Fairy type came into existence: Clefable, Azumarill, , Whimsicott, and Togekiss, in particular :)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years

When I first saw Durant, I didn't think much of it. It wasn't until I first got into competitive battling and tried my hand at the RU tier. I used it, it swept a few teams, and I brought it up into OU. It had mixed success, but really working on its strengths and weaknesses made me like it a lot, and now it's one of my favorites.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
    Klinklang: I thought it was pretty unimaginative when I first saw it. But a friend of mine brought my attention back to them when he mentioned them a few times, and I eventually decided to try training one. I never finished with that, but it's now one of my favorite Pokemon because of the fact that it's weird and unique, and I have a soft spot for clockwork/gears/robots.
    Yanmega: It's one of those Pokemon that I didn't pay much attention to, but grew to like them after the same friend in the above story gave me a shiny that I still love.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Back in diamond and pearl, I did not care for Starly and its line any bit. Now, they are probably in my top ten favorites list and really powerful. There are probably a bunch of others I thought were weak and now I know they aren't and maybe even like them, but I dont remember them.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
    Victreebel, really dislike that Pokémon, I saw it in Pokémon Fire Red(saw it as Bellsprout) just thought that this Pokémon is waist(and I caught them mindlessly after that). But after Winning several matches(even gym matches) with it I like it more than ever.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Pretty much every Pokemon introduced in gen 4 and a lot of Pokemon introduced in gen 5. Since I've stil not played any Pokemon game that plays in Sinnoh and HGSS making it a pain in the butt to obtain one of them, it took me until gen 6 to finally discover them. Since then a lot of them managed to become part of my favorites, like Mismagius, Gastrodon and Phione.

As for gen 5 mons, it's mostly because White 2 was the first gen 5 game I played, so I already had access to older Pokemon. Again, it took me until gen 6 to discover how interesting certain gen 5 Pokemon were, including Ferrothorn, Bisharp and Galvantula.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Off top of my head, one is Sableye.

When I'd first met this Pokémon in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, I wasn't a fan even in the slightest way. To me, although its design sort of did seem to go along with a ghost-type like itself, Sableye felt to be terrible when it came to battling. Its overall stats weren't very high, and it didn't have access to much good attacks, either.

In generation five, they've managed to change the Pokémon's direction in my eyes (as well as many other people's, I'm sure), by lending it the Prankster ability. Although Sableye doesn't have a wide variety of damaging attacks, it could still learn some status-affecting moves, and Prankster helps the Pokémon to utilize them better by allowing it to strike first when using these moves.

Years
    I never cared for Lucario until recently. It was actually the Mega Evolution storyline and it's friendship with Korrina in the anime that turned me around. Now I really like it and enjoy having one on my team.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    Volcarona was one, I for some reason didn't really like it, but later on it grew on me a bit and now it's one of my favorites.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    I never really liked Rotom and its different forms. I always thought that battling with a living appliance was dumb, but as I got more in to battling I began tolerate them more.

Back