• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Pokémon Unite Megathread

Years

• Pokémon Unite Megathread

So I've been seeing a few discussions/threads being started up about Pokémon Unite, so I thought I'd try to at least converge them all to one place, namely to stop the discussions dying out!

Based on that, I know we had the following going on:

General Unite Discussion
    Unite Mains/Character Discussion

Now one thing I wanted to see are what people's thoughts are on the game? I've heard a load of mixed reviews, from the game being dominated by pay2win culture to the game not even running properly on the console! Gunna give it a whirl myself soon, but ujst wamted to see what the community thought of it.

Also regarding Trainer IDs etc, feel free to post them in this thread!

Years
  • It's fun! But yeah definitely sluggish for me unless you set it to fast frame rate, it defaults to medium and that is pretty horrid. Was a bit odd to me how unoptimized it was for Switch - no option to even make the graphics lower quality or anything. I still have stutters when walking and my character will frequently take a second or so before it responds to me trying to move it.

Probably will try to keep playing though. I want to get Pikachu. ❤️ Eldegoss was the one I picked as my starter so I still need Pika haha.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • It's extremely fun. I started getting frustrated but then I realized that this is my first ever MOBA so it's expected for me to be shit at it and I need to figure out which characters I like the most/have the most fun using and just learn in general I guess.

Besides it is a team game so it might not necessarily be my skill that's the problem (though it could still be part of it honestly).

I've been able to teach myself to once again not care at all.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Pokemon Unite Competitive Subreddit

Hey guys!

I've just started playing Pokemon Unite with the recent release and I realized that there will be a lot of people interested on the competitive with things like guides, mons mechanics, builds, strategies and a ton of other things, and I thought that would be a good idea to create a subreddit specially for that, cuz I don't think that a post on PokeCo can cover that much information, so, I've created it, and also a Discord with the same purpose that can be found in the subreddit. You can access there by clicking here: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUniteRankeds?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I hope y'all reach the highest rank :3

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I'm losing more than I'm winning pretty much. I've tried watching tip & guide videos but it doesn't seem to really help me all that much.

It's made it hard to really determine which Pokemon I like the most/have the most fun using.

I guess it's just time to accept that I'm shit at this game. 😞

Years
  • I've won all the games I joined so far (and somehow even took top score in one..?) but that's not saying much since it was maybe 3 or so? haha but I'll try to play again more soon! Honestly I'm also very bad at this genre so I wouldn't worry too much about it.. :D;

FactoriesFarAway

Youngster
    Years
    • she/her
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 2, 2024
    The game is fun, but coming from a MOBA background, it feels severely unbalanced right now. That's not to say people can't enjoy it. I certainly do.

It's not the Pokemon, don't get me wrong. Most of the Pokemon seem fine to me, with a few outliers that are a little too weak imo (Venusaur, Greninja) and a little too strong without clear counterplay (Eldegoss, Snorlax). Most sit perfectly fine in the middle and have their strengths and weaknesses. Though to clarify, my reasons for thinking Eldegoss and Snorlax lack counterplay is that:

-Eldegoss can give AoE shields and heals on a short cooldown without any drawbacks (other games like this have mana) and is the only mon that has such abilities. Free shields and heals vastly increase your survivability.
    -Snorlax has free engage, and CC cleansing in this game sacrifices your own engage and disengage potential due to it having to replace Eject Button. You'd be in better position trying to Eject Button his CC than to cleanse it, but it's up so often.

The major issue imo is the map itself and flow of the game! Such a strange thing to say. But most of the objectives, especially Zapdos, feel too strong. Getting Zapdos can give you up to a team-wide 500 points if you utilise it well, which can turn even a severe loss around into a win. Either Zapdos should be changed, or the game shouldn't double your points with 2 minutes to go. I understand it's to make comebacks easier for the losing team, but it then becomes, most of the time, the match can be decided by who downs an electric chicken.

The jungle seems overtuned, and will probably enforce a meta that prefers strong early laners. By that I mean, most Speedster-type junglers can clear faster than laners can clear their minions, so its not unlikely for you to be ganked by a level 5 jungle at 3 if you're playing something with a slow start like Slowbro.

These are my takeaways as someone who's played LoL for many years. I'm certainly going to keep playing and enjoying the game with that said, and I'm interested to see what plans are there in the future.

P.S. Not a fan of the item and item upgrade system. Reminds me of the old rune system in LoL that they specifically boycotted because it put people on an uneven playing field for no reason and was retractive from actual gameplay.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Anyone whaled on this game yet? I've only spent like $60-$70 to get Pokemon faster and for the battle pass. If that counts then yeah I guess I whaled on it.

I won't be spending any more than that though. maybe

Years
  • i'm kinda waiting for this game to be released on mobile to try it. i keep hearing that this doesn't run very well on the Switch and that gives me pause. :s not only that, the whole "going after Zapdos is what really matters" is kinda....eh. idk, maybe cheesing matches a bit? not like i know, though, but that's what it seems like to me.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Gardevoir is available tomorrow. I ain't whaling again just to get it. maybe

I still want to try her though at some point. Hopefully she'll be on a trial period or something like that

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Really like this game so far, even if what some people say (that it is pay to win) is correct. I view this game as one of the few, true action-oriented pokemon combat games, but probably with a lot more potential than others. I say that because there should be constantly new pokemon to play as, where as something like pokken just had its starting roster plus a few dlc. I think moba characters are probably far easier to develop than fighting game ones. (Kind of tired right now, apologize if I am typing weird)

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I got super lucky. The character/Pokemon they gave for free was Cinderace but I had already obtained him so I had 10k coins and that was more than enough to get Gardevoir.

I've only slightly tried her out. I'm practicing with her in CPU/bot lobbies before even trying to do stuff with her in real lobbies. Because that seems like a smart thing to do. In Pokken... testing things out was called 'labbing' so if you want to call it that... sure go right ahead.

Years
  • I came into this expected not to enjoy it much since I'm not a huge fan of other MOBAs. Aside from a few frustrating encounters, I'm really enjoying myself though. I like that it's a much more simplified and streamlined game than others in the genre and it's (mostly) pretty well balanced.

Right now I'm maining Venusaur, but I actually started with Talonflame and have dipped my toes into playing Ninetales a bit. I'm enjoying Venu the most so far but jungling with Talon isn't so bad and Ninetales is pretty fun too.

I think my only complaint really is that the large number of moves that heavily restrict movement, pull you or outright stun you are pretty irritating. Especially when the enemy team comes in with a team that manages to have an entire roster of those moves. I wouldn't mind those abilities existing if they were a little less prominent, but atm it feels like a bit much.

Years
  • The game is fun, but coming from a MOBA background, it feels severely unbalanced right now. That's not to say people can't enjoy it. I certainly do.

It's not the Pokemon, don't get me wrong. Most of the Pokemon seem fine to me, with a few outliers that are a little too weak imo (Venusaur, Greninja) and a little too strong without clear counterplay (Eldegoss, Snorlax). Most sit perfectly fine in the middle and have their strengths and weaknesses. Though to clarify, my reasons for thinking Eldegoss and Snorlax lack counterplay is that:

-Eldegoss can give AoE shields and heals on a short cooldown without any drawbacks (other games like this have mana) and is the only mon that has such abilities. Free shields and heals vastly increase your survivability.
    -Snorlax has free engage, and CC cleansing in this game sacrifices your own engage and disengage potential due to it having to replace Eject Button. You'd be in better position trying to Eject Button his CC than to cleanse it, but it's up so often.

The major issue imo is the map itself and flow of the game! Such a strange thing to say. But most of the objectives, especially Zapdos, feel too strong. Getting Zapdos can give you up to a team-wide 500 points if you utilise it well, which can turn even a severe loss around into a win. Either Zapdos should be changed, or the game shouldn't double your points with 2 minutes to go. I understand it's to make comebacks easier for the losing team, but it then becomes, most of the time, the match can be decided by who downs an electric chicken.

The jungle seems overtuned, and will probably enforce a meta that prefers strong early laners. By that I mean, most Speedster-type junglers can clear faster than laners can clear their minions, so its not unlikely for you to be ganked by a level 5 jungle at 3 if you're playing something with a slow start like Slowbro.

These are my takeaways as someone who's played LoL for many years. I'm certainly going to keep playing and enjoying the game with that said, and I'm interested to see what plans are there in the future.

P.S. Not a fan of the item and item upgrade system. Reminds me of the old rune system in LoL that they specifically boycotted because it put people on an uneven playing field for no reason and was retractive from actual gameplay.

I've not used Eldegoss yet, but now I know how helpful it is as someone who picked it to start with - appreciate that! Though I also had no idea the game as a whole was this unbalanced. Not sure if there will be many major changes with it in the future, but right now, while I do like it, I'm not sure if I'll stick with it longterm.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • So I've made it to Great Class 4 or somewhere around there

I refuse to play ranked anymore without a squad/group because there are too many incompetent people and people intentionally leaving games. I had this happen to me twice in a row this morning/afternoon (luckily I wasn't playing ranked but I'm just saying)

I feel like people are doing this on purpose and just trolling in general and I hope it eventually stops. Don't play the god damn game if you just want to ruin games for others.

I've trimmed my character list down a little bit at least. I've effectively dropped Talonflame and Greninja because I don't feel like I play them very well. Same for Venusaur but I still play as him sometimes.

So this is probably my list right now. Ever changing list though obviously due to game changes/updates for buffs/nerfs and/or more characters/Pokemon being added to the game

Main: Pikachu, Zeraora or Gardevoir
    Secondary: Lucario, Absol, or Cinderace
    For Fun: Garchomp or Venusaur

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I got this described to me as Pokemon and League of Legends put together so I had to give it a go since I enjoyed both games at some point :D I've played a few games and it's entertaining! Still have no idea what I'm doing strategy wise but I think that comes with practice. Hopefully will improve soon, I think looking up strategy would help so I will probably try to do that. I found that my least favourite part of League was the chat/community so I've noticed I have a lot more fun without worrying about the chat. I'm a very casual player so it's nice that it feels a lot more laidback than League. It's a lot more fun playing it with friends for sure. Definitely look forward to playing more Unite with people from PC.

So far I've been trying to just get familiar with one character and the gameplay before expanding so I've mainly been trying out Pikachu which has been fun but definitely looking into trying more. Everytime I see Snorlax in this game I laugh it's so incredible seeing it body slam everything and sleep, maybe I should try it properly at some point. :P Always very down to add people on Switch or play Unite so anyone is free to hit me up.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    enjoyed the game a great deal when it came out, prayed there wouldn't be a nerf storm as I grew to enjoy it more and more the more
    I engaged with it.

got all the characters I wanted, and managed to hard carry enough teams to get to Expert rank.

But with the new patch notes I'll probably never play it again. :(

I didn't fall into the pay trap, and this time none of the mons I play were hit,
    but it still feels bad to have it hanging over your head,
    that at a moments notice all the time effort, or money you put into this can be made
    worthless/meaningless.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I've not used Eldegoss yet, but now I know how helpful it is as someone who picked it to start with - appreciate that! Though I also had no idea the game as a whole was this unbalanced. Not sure if there will be many major changes with it in the future, but right now, while I do like it, I'm not sure if I'll stick with it longterm.

It's really not all that bad, the balance was good imo, its not like enemies were suddenly unkillable just because they had a shield, and zapdos isn't an issue with good strategy.

Yes going for zapdos can turn a loss into a win, but it can also easily turn a win into a loss, if the whole team goes stupid, and runs in without finishing off the enemy, then
    the opposing team can just sweep in when every one is low on health and take all the points. It has some nuance.

the main take away is if your team is playing well before zapdos appears, they'll most likely keep doing so afterwards,
    and it won't be a problem.

and the item system is actually pretty great, I'd say.

Its not massively destabilizing, even after maxing them out, most of the buffs don't do that much by themselves, and none of it will make you invincible.
    What I like about the item system is it offers players a way to customize they're preferred mon to suit their playstyle.

To me its no different then ev training is for normal game.

If you want your pokemon to be a bit tankier, you can do that.

If you want more damage or more speed, you can do that too.

Its easy to think they have a far larger effect than they do by just looking at the item numbers alone.

If you want to check it out, there shouldn't be too much of a reason you can't have a good time.

The most detrimental thing really is just unhelpful teamates but that's the same anywhere, I guess.

Last edited:

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I'm a little disappointed with the Cinderace nerf honestly. I just popped off with him with randoms last night and now that will never happen again. OOF. Oh well I guess.

We'll see if this changes my character list at all. I don't want it to but it probably will. Maybe. We'll see I guess.

Back