• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon you like more than their evolved forms?

Years
    My favourite Pokémon is Phantump and I would take it any time over Trevenant.

I prefer basically all of Gen IV evolutions of older Pokémon. I don't like Gen IV that much, but those new evolutions are on another level of awfulness.

Yamper and Galarian Ponyta are also a lot better than their evolutions.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    The one with the biggest difference for me is Mime Jr. to Mr. Mime.
    Mime Jr. Is my 17th favourite Pokémon in the franchise, including forms. Mr. Mime is 1056th, out of 1064.

chaosqueen

Contest Enthusiast
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Jan 18, 2022
    I think the biggest one for me is Dragonair over Dragonite. I get what they were going for, but I wish it hadn't done a complete 180 in every sense - if they'd at least kept the color scheme it would be a lot higher for me, Dragonair just looks so elegant and seeing it next to Dragonite just feels... Strange, honestly.

This is also a less common take, as far as I'm aware, but I prefer Litten/Torracat to Incineroar - I love cats, and really wanted a quadruped fire starter, so it's more a personal thing than anything against Incineroar (though I'm not all too fond of the design, either...). The same is true for Tepig, I just never vibed with Pignite and Emboar.

Floette, too - Florges is... I don't know, it's not for me.

(I also prefer Magikarp to Gyarados, but that's honestly just because I played one too many hours of Magikarp Jump.)

Years
    I can think of quite a few but pretty quickly I thought of Makuhita into Hariyama , I understand the fighting styles these two Pokemon represent and I dont mind Sumo Wrestling its a pretty interesting sport of power and tactics but for me Hariyama looks like such a mess with almost no mouth. of course the wide circle shapes near the feet often get slammed by jokes and the hands are a bit odd, Makuhita always as a smile and looks cute and cool not like the mess it can evolve into which I understand is not meant to be cute but more fierce yet the balance of 'cute' but fierce for Hariyama just doesn't work for me mayby its cause of the lack of mouth and the circles, anyway I think Makuhita is a really fun, cute and cool Pokemon that's well defined and I am fine with the boxing glove hands, mainly for this reasons I refuse to evolve my Makuhita into a Hariyama :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Quilava! It's a good mix of cute and tough. Typhlosion is ugly.

I agree! I like quilava.

Off the top of my head, I much prefer oshawott to samurott, although samurott does seem to look better in 3D. I also like venonat, galar linoone, yamper, ralts, charmeleon, foongus, croagunk, carkol, poliwag, and popplio more than their evos.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I can think of a bunch in which i prefer the pre-evolution more than the evolution itself. Including but not limited to Quilava, Wartortle, Ivysaur, Dragonair, Fraxure, Palpitoad...

Basically a lot of the mid-evolution that are cute that then become cool (or ugly whatever your opinion is) are the ones I tend to like haha. Especially Palpitoad since Seismitoad is one of my least favorites design wise overall but I really like Palpitoad.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Litwick is a pretty big one for me. Its evolutions are very popular, but I just don't get the appeal of them. But Litwick is flipping adorable and I love it to pieces. I have a similar opinion of Phantump. Others include Fennekin, Piplup, Cubone (Alolan Marowak is really cool, though), and Fletchling.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Litwick is a pretty big one for me. Its evolutions are very popular, but I just don't get the appeal of them. But Litwick is flipping adorable and I love it to pieces. I have a similar opinion of Phantump. Others include Fennekin, Piplup, Cubone (Alolan Marowak is really cool, though), and Fletchling.

Litwick is my favourite ghost type Pokemon so I feel this 100% tbqh. Also love Fletchling and Fletchinder far more than Talonflame.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Biggest one for me is Dragonair because it looks sooo mystical while Dragonite looks like an orange Barney. I also like Wartortle, Croconaw, Skiddo, Pancham, Phantump, Pumpkaboo and Braixen way more than their evolutions. Phantump and Pumpkaboo are just too adorable to evolve.

Years
    • Online now
    Second post in this, but I prefer Skitty over Delcatty.

I forget delcatty even exists. Skitty would be fine as one of those pokemon that doesn't evolve.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 4, 2021
    Servine, Rhydon, Flaafy, Espurr, maybe Bayleef, and Litten or Torracat as long as it isn't Incineroar. Mime Jr. would definitely be on the list, but Mr. Mime is cool.

Years
    chinchou, torracat, skitty, dragonair, lampent (or litwick i love both), goomy, cleffa, morelull, shroomish, fomantis, foongus, pumpkaboo (and probably more)

Years
    • i like zorua far more than zoroark. zoroark is alright, but not my cup of tea
    • i like wartortle slightly more than blastoise
    • cyndquil and quilava are both far better than typhlosion imo
    • rhydon > rhyperior. not that i feel strongly about either, but rhyperior's design is eh to me
    • chespin > chesnaught. not a big fan of chesnaught at all
    • i like poipole's design over naganadael's, but i generally lean for the cute designs over "mean"-looking designs

p sure there are others but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment!

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    I'm suprised by all the similar answers but I share your opinion on:
    Makuhita, Rhydon, Magmar, Electabuzz, Wartortle (still love Blastoise), Croconaw (still love Feraligatr), Flaafy (still love Ampharos), ...

I can think of quite a few but pretty quickly I thought of Makuhita into Hariyama , I understand the fighting styles these two Pokemon represent and I dont mind Sumo Wrestling its a pretty interesting sport of power and tactics but for me Hariyama looks like such a mess with almost no mouth. of course the wide circle shapes near the feet often get slammed by jokes and the hands are a bit odd, Makuhita always as a smile and looks cute and cool not like the mess it can evolve into which I understand is not meant to be cute but more fierce yet the balance of 'cute' but fierce for Hariyama just doesn't work for me mayby its cause of the lack of mouth and the circles, anyway I think Makuhita is a really fun, cute and cool Pokemon that's well defined and I am fine with the boxing glove hands, mainly for this reasons I refuse to evolve my Makuhita into a Hariyama :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

Yes! It went form one of the more intruiging designs to one of the ugliest. At leas tin my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    off the top of my head whismur, tepig, staryu, ivysaur, wartortle, mudkip, rhydon, and quilava.

Back