• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon you think would make good series mascots

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Shinx and Buizel. Feels reasonably unique, but with enough similarity to normal animals to not feel alien to prospective newcomers. Adds Rockruff and maybe Scorbunny too.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Some of the dog or cat Pokemon might work, people love puppies and kitties

Though at this point Charizard is almost an honorary mascot given how much Game Freak seems to favor it....

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    My criteria come down to the following:
    1. It needs to be simple and kid-friendly. This is a kid's franchise, after all, so even if a Pokémon like Charizard is cool, it doesn't exactly strike me as approachable.
    2. Its design needs to appeal to boys and girls alike. This is exactly why Clefairy was rejected as a mascot.
    3. It needs to be at least a little anthropomorphic. Pikachu and Eevee have clearly defined eyes, mouths, and limbs, so they're easy to understand and relate to.
    4. It needs to have overt supernatural powers. Growlithe is a much more attractive choice than, say, Lillipup, because being a Fire-type sounds much cooler than biting and tackling things like any regular dog would.

I thought about making Gholdengo the new mascot, considering how similar it looks to Pikachu, its friendly nature, and the fact that it's designed to be the "milestone" Pokémon. That said, the value of a milestone is diminished when it's everywhere.
    I thought about a few first-stage Dragon-types as well, but none of them seems to strike the perfect balance of criteria I mentioned earlier. Dratini and Goomy leave too much to the imagination, Axew and Gible look too dopey, Bagon looks too rough and masculine, and Jangmo-o is overall unremarkable.
    My tentative choice for new series mascot comes down to Cyndaquil vs. Riolu.
    Cyndaquil is a simple, kid-friendly design with chibified limbs. I'd say Cyndaquil looks gender-neutral enough, and the fire quills on its back leave a strong impression; even if the fire comes off as dangerous, it can retract the fire anyway. My only real knock against it is that its eyes are squinted, so it's difficult to relate to Cyndaquil compared to the likes of Pikachu.
    Riolu has mostly the same points for it as Cyndaquil, except that its design is much more humanoid, and I think it strikes a good balance between cute animal and relatable character. The only problem is that its aura powers are a little too hazy as a concept, so children will find it difficult to understand versus Cyndaquil.
    I know these two choices are kinda random, but for my money these two have what it takes to be series mascot material.

Years
    When I first read the title of this thread, the Pokémon that initially popped into my mind was Gengar. I think its due in part to its undeniable popularity within the fandom. Also, I feel as though Gengar possesses natural charisma, charm, and personality, qualities that many associate with the dual-type Pokémon. And as mentioned in the post above, Gengar isn't overtly masculine or feminine, it falls perfectly in the middle and appeals to all audiences regardless of gender.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    How come nobody ever mentions Meowth? Hasn't Meowth been in just as much episodes as Pikachu? I'm quite sure Meowth is more popular than Eevee is for that reason, at least beyond those that only play the games.

Empoleon671

不要
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    Piplup :p, it's cute and cool, charismatic, and definitely popular enough.

reading through the thread though, definitely agree on gengar or shinx too.

Years
    Binacle is ofc the best choice

Vulpix or Zorua. Cute little foxes.
    Spheal. Adorable round ball Pokemon.
    Sewaddle. A cute bug Pokemon. Bug types might not be the best choice for a mascot, but I included it anyway.
    Helioptile. Probably too forgettable to actually end up one. Is a cute Pokemon though.
    Rockruff. The evolution aside, Rockruff itself could easily be a mascot.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Meowth for sure. Probably Marill next to that. Definitely see Marill getting a similar treatment to Eevee if we get another "Let's Go!" entry.

Apart from early Gen. icons and fan favorites, Meowstic-M might also work. Cute yet cool so it appeals to all genders, unique, mystical design, and carries over a Japanese theme (based on a nekomata). Might feel the need to push the female as well though, which I don't feel is quite as universally appealing.

Pokémon you think would make good series mascots

Last edited:

IanXtreme

Wurmple Fan
    Days
    • Seen Jul 6, 2023
    Wurmple. Everyone knows Wurmple is perfection. Series mascot Wurmple. More Wurmple merchandise. Wurmple games.
    (For real though, perhaps Espurr or Skitty? Maybe Yamper?)

Back