• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protag VS Protag!

Which Pair?

• Hilbert & Hilda

Votes: 44 73.3%
  • Nate & Rosa

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Protag VS Protag!
    Protag VS Protag!
    Protag VS Protag!
    Protag VS Protag!
    Protag VS Protag!

Your favorite protagonists! Which pair did you like best? Are you team Hilbert & Hilda, or are you part of the Nate & Rosa gang? Talk about their outfits, hair design; debate about their ages and the like. Debate about whatever you'd like about these two pairs and discuss why the one you chose is your favorite!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like both sets of protagonists, but the Black/White player characters (particularly Hilda) will always be my favorites (excluding the ones from X/Y since you can customize them into whoever you want).

debate about their ages and the like.

I say the Gen 5 protags are 14~15. The rest of you?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I personally like BW one because I never seen a hairy mess on Nate's hair o3o
    I'm not sure, but probably around the age of 10 and above, both of BW2 protag are bit taller than BW protags. Anyone agree on that

Years
  • Honestly as I go about my like of protagonists mainly by design, Hilbert and Hilda win it. They look more normal but still have an iconic look, whereas Nate and Rosa look like kindergarteners dressing themselves for the first time. Plus Hilbert and Hilda have the superior hair by far. Although Nate and Rosa win in the names category, although I do kind of find Hilbert and Hilda endearing.

Years
  • BW protags for sure. They look normal and somewhat mysterious without looking shabby. I like that Hilbert is probably one of the protags I could relate to in terms of looks, as we're both simple and I think he's about 15 or 16 which is what I was when I got the game.

Rosa looks like a 13 year old Princess Leia with more hair tbh

EDIT: 1,000th POST WOOOH I should have prepared a speech for this or something.

Years
  • I do love both pairs, but I voted the B2/W2 bunch. Rosa is one of my fave protagonist designs (but then again I usually love most of the female protagonists design-wise) and I love how her hair reminds me of Sailor Moon and she's super-cute. I do love their names as well.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I liked all their designs except for Nate (the hairrrr), so I guess my choice is Hilda and Hilbert. Though, tbh, when I first heard their names I was kinda like eh they don't sound like Pokemon protagonists' names, no offense of course, they just never rolled off the tongue for me.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I love 'em both, but my favorite would have to be Hilda and Hilbert. They're the first protagonists ever confirmed by Nintendo themselves to be older than 10. While they seem to be either 14-16, it's much better than a 10 year old child being shoved out into the wilderness. That, and their style is a bit more mature, in my opinion. They definitely have more charisma to them than Nate and Rosa. Nate and Rosa have that "we're cute 10 year olds" thing to them, while Hilda and Hilbert have a whole "we're actually a bit more mature of a character than the ten year-olds and actually rely on being epic" thing to them. Idk, my vote just definitely goes for Hilda and Hilbert.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In terms of design, I prefer the ones from BW2. Really love their outfits; in my opinion, it makes them look pretty cool! BW protagonists aren't too bad-looking, either, though. Story-wise, I actually like Hilbert and Hilda. For me, they were simply more memorable, haha.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    While I like both pairs of the protagonists, I voted for Keegan Hilbert and Hailey Hilda. Hilbert is probably my favorite design out of all the protagonists, and I enjoy the fact that he's older than the standard 10 years that everyone else seems to be. Plus, B/W worked better to add more to the protagonist's personality with Cheren and Bianca being friends and N's reactions to the character.

Nate will always amuse me with his hair, though.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Since I've only ever played as the females, I can only compare Hilda and Rosa, but I have to go with the BW protagonists.

I do like Rosa. She's pretty adorable, but perhaps too adorable. I love Hilda's cool punkish/tomboy look. And she just looks like a hero. Like she was born to do something epic. Rosa looks more like an ordinary girl who kinda wandered into it.

I love them both though :D

Years
  • Although I love BW2 to death and I will never, EVER dislike it, I myself wasn't the biggest fan of Rosa. I do think Nate is kinda cool though, for who he is. Palm tree hair!

But personally I picked the BW protagonists, I mean both sets i'm alright with but I just liked the former more for some reason.

Mesmerella

Preschooler
    Years
  • Although I didn't like B/W as much as B2/W2, I do admit that B/W had superior character designs, even if the official names of the characters were lacking. I was really excited when I first saw a picture of Hilda, to be honest, because her curly hair in a ponytail really reminded me of my own hair. XD I like Rosa a lot, too, though... Her odangos reminded me of Sailor Moon.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I love both pairs, but BW protags have the best style. I love Hilda's clothing, and Hilbert has a mature style. As much as I like Rosa in BW2, I think there could be more than just a skirt-like shorts and leggings. xD

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2014
    hilda a ho tho

i love rosa and nate more than the originals, and iirc the characters are definitely older than 10. yeah hilda and hilbert are more original in design, but who really wants original characters in pokemon? i really like nate's design

but i gotta say, they gave Nate shorts with leggins underneath...i digress.
    but a mini, ¨wavy¨ skirt over some leggins with rosa is a little rough too...

tsk tsk tsk, i still love them anyway

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    Hilbert and Hilda are more my thing. The stories involving them were more compelling, considering they were in that epic battle with N. What did Nate and Rosa get? Well...they did go to the castle and they fought N as well. But it wasn't nearly as awesome. It was just what was left of that epic clash between truth and ideals.

Pinta77

Hilbert and Hilda better be at least 18!! first of all look at how hilda dresses? If she's a minor, why did her parents let her leave the house like that?

And I like hilbert because he looks older. I can relate to him better.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I have to admit that I really like Nate & Rosa's designs; Rosa looks really adorable and fun, while Nate's outfit is just so different, he looks like he's wearing a wetsuit, ready to go scuba diving at any moment. I really like that, so I'm actually tempted to chose him the next time I restart my game, even though I always go with the female character.

However, I prefer the more mature look of Hilbert & Hilda, to he honest. I admit that while I don't care that much about Hilbert, but Hilda just exudes confidence and looks really reliable. Her design is simple, but powerful, you know?

And it's not just the designs that makes them look older, but also the plot of the original games. The whole story around the protagonist in B/W was great and a lot more appealing to me, so I guess I prefer the original characters for that reason as well.

Years
  • Gen V was probably my favourite generation for many reasons. I really liked both sets of protagonists; it's hard to choose which pair I preferred. I think in terms of design I prefer the originals, Hilda and Hilbert. (Though allow me to lead with my absolute heartbreak at their official names). In general, I just like that they seem to be older than any other pair of protagonists throughout the Pokémon series. The games that came before Black and White were HeartGold and SoulSilver, and while Gold and Silver used to be my favourite games, I felt the protagonists were.. 'younged-down', along with the Rival. This also applies to Black 2 and White 2 - Nate and Rosa (and Hugh) generally just feel a little younger than Hilda and Hilbert, and it's pretty much that reason alone that makes me prefer the latter. I would say that BW's protagonists were about 15/16 in Black and White, and B2W2's protagonists were about 12/13/14 (at any rate, younger) in B2W2.

In terms of design, while I've never played as the female in Gen V, I prefer their design to the males. I really don't like that Nate's colour scheme is so similar to Hilbert's - seriously, hair, hat, jacket, same colour. They're what I normally take into account when looking at a protagonist, so while I liked Hilbert's design a lot, I was very disappointed with Nate's being so similar. I do like that the B2W2 protagonists' designs showed their hair - I suppose Game Freak ran out of ideas for creative headwear, so they resorted to simply showing off their absolutely crazy hairstyles, which really paid off in my opinion.

Back