• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I hope I can make it to the SWC deadline. But if not, I think I still have somewhat of a silly story to tell.
Go, solovino, go! Write, write, write! :D

My SWC entry's written, and should just need another pass at proofreading before I submit. Mine's also kind of a silly story and was really fun to write!

SuperEspeon said:
Im in the process of making a fan fiction where Oak has become a grumpy alcoholic because of his rejection by his one true love, Agatha, and Red abandoned him forever. Then our lovely protagonist comes a long and fixes ♥♥♥♥ up.
Neat idea, and I hope you address the issue of who Gary/Blue's biological parents are. If Agatha was Oak's one true love, who did he have a kid with??? These are questions that need answers, people.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Go, solovino, go! Write, write, write!
Run rabbit run? {XD}

(Will try and get on it~)

another pass at proofreading
I don't think I'll have time for even one pass at proofreading but oh well. I've done more with less.

Neat idea, and I hope you address the issue of who Gary/Blue's biological parents are. If Agatha was Oak's one true love, who did he have a kid with??? These are questions that need answers, people.
ANSWERS OR RIOT! ^^

I kid, more or less. Still, I'm feeling like throwing a jab at Final Fantasy VIII's silly backstory and guessing, just for the kicks, that Agatha is Ash's parental grandma.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years

Im gonna make it so Oak got drunk and ♥♥♥♥ed the main characters mom and blue popped out or something, I dont know Ill figure it out.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Hi, writers.

Re: swearing in novels/fics. My antagonists swear a lot. I think I hid the f word a lot in Standing Creation - Vanguard Duosoard (my finished novel). Yeah, I use swears sometimes, but they all got censored by the hearts...

I don't have time to enter writing competitions. I write to get closer to publication and fun; not to compete.

I'll work on getting Vanguard Duosoard published soon--I've got a lot of mass edits to do.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I don't have time to enter writing competitions. I write to get closer to publication and fun; not to compete.
But writing comps aren't just there for one 'to compete' in. You can write for fun as well when entering a competition, have it as a challenge (write something within a time limit on a certain theme or prompt being the general sort), or use it as an excuse to get an idea out of your head and into an actual story or try out something different, for example. Not that competitions are for everyone, but I can't agree with the apparent distinction you've made between fun and 'to compete' with writing, as what is fun with writing differs from person to person. You can learn quite a lot from writing in a competition as well - heck, just judging the SWCs we have here always shows me something new and hence teaches me something.

Last edited:

Mega Venusaur

Muncher
Years
I don't see how you can't have time to write stories, even if they're just for casual writings instead of competitions. I don't know if it's not just me, but writing calms me down and puts me in a world of my own where anything can happen. If you're stressed or snowed under in work for school or your occupation, simply pick up a pen and paper or laptop and let everything come out onto the paper/Word Document.

Years
I don't see how you can't have time to write stories, even if they're just for casual writings instead of competitions. I don't know if it's not just me, but writing calms me down and puts me in a world of my own where anything can happen. If you're stressed or snowed under in work for school or your occupation, simply pick up a pen and paper or laptop and let everything come out onto the paper/Word Document.

Preach, my friend! I don't think there's a time when a person can't have an idea (i.e. staunched for inspiration), it's just that the idea is in "the creative void," and just plain writing, like you said, can help bring out anything in abeyance.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Sometimes when you get snowed under in work for school and decide to write stories instead, you start to get a failing grade in the course and might have to drop it. :P It's worse if you go to school in Pittsburgh and that work you're snowed under in is accompanied by literal snow that your campus is snowed under in because the North is lousy in winter, but I digress.

Anyway, I'd argue that it's perfectly understandable if someone doesn't have time for writing. Everyone needs a different amount of time and energy to produce some volume of words and to edit said volume of words. If you have to prioritize writing out of your life for a while, all it means is that writing isn't as important to you as some other thing and you don't have time/energy for both, which is okay. A big example I can think of IRL is a friend of mine who wants to put more time to songwriting, but he has a baby daughter now and his free time mostly needs to go to his wife and kid.

I write to get closer to publication and fun; not to compete.
While I'm not an expert on publication by any stretch of the imagination, it would seem to me that publication is basically competition. You have to write to someone else's standards, in this case the publisher instead of a judge, and the publisher will only publish some of the pieces that are submitted. For that matter, if you're seeking to be published in something like a periodical, you may have to write under time constraints. Just a thought.

You can learn quite a lot from writing in a competition as well - heck, just judging the SWCs we have here always shows me something new and hence teaches me something.
Couldn't agree more. I know I've learned plenty for example about setups and payoffs in stories by writing in SWCs and reading judges' feedback.

Last edited:

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Currently writing a pokemon battle. Is it possible for a venusaur to outspeed an infernape?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Currently writing a pokemon battle. Is it possible for a venusaur to outspeed an infernape?
If it's your story, you can do anything as long as you make it seem reasonable. Maybe the Venusaur is on "drugs" ie vitamins and X Speed etc. Or maybe you mean in using its moves? I could imagine a Venusaur being able to swiftly fire its special attacks, but not to run very fast. At least not compared to an Infernape.

It also depends on how true you want to be to the game stats, I guess.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
It is technically possible - Venusaur's max speed stat is JUST in the range of Infernapes. So you could play it that the Venusaur is bred for speed/trained hard to make itself quicker.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
In terms of running or general moving around, I can't see it being faster, but certainly in performing attacks it may well be faster (e.g. Vine Whip, or Razor Leaf), especially if compared to the time an infernape may take to execute a physical contact attack.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Wah. Obviously I had no time to finish the Review Challenge. Buh. But at least I got a couple of reviews in 8) It's more than 0?

I was wondering, how often do you see fanfiction about other franchises than pokémon here? Being a pokémon forum, pokémon is obviously the most common thing to write about. But I think I've also seen some completely original stuff. But other fanfiction? Would people even read it?

The franchise I'm mostly writing fanfiction for at this time is Doctor Who, if you want a specific example :p I haven't posted it here though, since even though I know there's a lot of DW fans on PC, I don't know how many hang out here.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I know there's been a few Digimon fanfics posted here in recent times. Griff's and icomeanon's come to mind because they were just recently updated. There's also a Naruto fanfic that I know about.

The issue with other fanfiction on a Pokemon board is that you're not sure if there's an audience for it. If you post your Doctor Who fanfic here, there might not be anyone that comes into this section that will read it. And if you want comments on it, that might also be difficult because maybe the Doctor Who fans aren't the same people that will offer comments other than that they like it. (Not that there's anything wrong with those kinds of comments. It's just that some authors might also want some more in-depth comments about their writing.)

So it's up to you if you want to share your writing here when it's based on another fandom. You might run into fans you didn't know were around, but your story might just sit with no reviews and little views. The decision is up to you if it's worth it.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm always one to encourage people posting fics, so I say post it!

You could advertise the story in your signature, that way people will click on it with the intention of checking it out rather than hoping someone pops up in the section that likes Doctor Who. If you're already posting it on another site, then what's the harm in increasing your potential audience?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
The harm would be that, as always, I feel a bit awkward when I show my work to people who I'm not sure understand it xD It's like talking about pokémon with people who have never played the games, or talking about the latest DW episode with my non-nerdy boyfriend. It feels out of place somehow.

But a chapter or two, and a link from the DW fanclub on PC can't hurt I suppose. If I don't feel like posting more after that, I simply won't :p It's not like it's unusual for fics here to get few or no reviews, so I won't be too disappointed if that happens, haha.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
The harm would be that, as always, I feel a bit awkward when I show my work to people who I'm not sure understand it xD It's like talking about pokémon with people who have never played the games, or talking about the latest DW episode with my non-nerdy boyfriend. It feels out of place somehow.

But a chapter or two, and a link from the DW fanclub on PC can't hurt I suppose. If I don't feel like posting more after that, I simply won't :p It's not like it's unusual for fics here to get few or no reviews, so I won't be too disappointed if that happens, haha.

Nothing you can do but the test waters. I'm not a Doctor Who fan at all, but that doesn't particularly mean I won't be interested in it. It's not that I dislike Doctor Who, it actually seems pretty interesting tbh, it's just one of those things I've never gotten around to watching. Who knows, maybe your fic will be that extra motivation to go and watch the real deal :p

That being said, I have a question. Is it based of actual events and characters, or is it simply set in the Doctor Who universe? The only thing I can find wrong with the former is that you might not be able to portray the character in quite the same way as a dedicated fan of the series sees them, and that could lead to them building up a dislike towards your fic even if it is well written and follows the canonical laws.

EDIT: oh, and you'll probably see a lot more of me around here :*) I'm basically in between jobs and since playing League of Legends 24 hours a day gets boring... I will read and write to occupy some of my time :p And I've read all the books I own a dozen times over and my local library has a very bad selection. Hopefully this will remedy things haha

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
That being said, I have a question. Is it based of actual events and characters, or is it simply set in the Doctor Who universe? The only thing I can find wrong with the former is that you might not be able to portray the character in quite the same way as a dedicated fan of the series sees them, and that could lead to them building up a dislike towards your fic even if it is well written and follows the canonical laws.
Oh, that goes for every kind of fanfiction with established characters. I'm actually not worried about that; I think I have a pretty decent grasp of how the characters I'm using will behave. Which are mainly the 10th version of the Doctor and also Amy Pond :) Rather, I should maybe rewrite a few parts of the fic if I post it here, to explain things that are taken for granted on that other site, no? In case I want to make it just a little bit more accessible for people who have only heard of Ten or Amy but not actually watched a lot of the show. Maybe.

EDIT: oh, and you'll probably see a lot more of me around here :*) I'm basically in between jobs and since playing League of Legends 24 hours a day gets boring... I will read and write to occupy some of my time :p And I've read all the books I own a dozen times over and my local library has a very bad selection. Hopefully this will remedy things haha
Nice! I'll try to read and review some of your stuff 8) I should really get better at both reviewing and at writing stuff of my own here, haha. Or balance it with RPing at least 8))

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
After scouring the internet for a long time, I couldn't find anywhere else to post this, so I decided to post it here. I'm not sure it even qualifies as writing but I just needed somewhere to vent. If it's inappropriate please let me know and I'll take it down and put it in my personal blog or something, but I'd really like it if people saw this. It's not much, but it's me.

Warning: Mention of blood and death, also rather depressing piece of poetry. Read on if you chose but you have been warned.

Spoiler:

If anybody likes this I might make a separate thread for all of my works. They aren't all like this, don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back