• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I've never heard of that genre, Aquataris! What would a disguise fiction be about? I can't really find a good answer on Google, and I wonder if it's what I'm thinking of.

I'm hopefully going to be getting back into working on a chapter I haven't touched in nearly a month. Fortunately, I remember what's supposed to be happening in it.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
I've never heard of that genre, Aquataris! What would a disguise fiction be about? I can't really find a good answer on Google, and I wonder if it's what I'm thinking of.

I'm hopefully going to be getting back into working on a chapter I haven't touched in nearly a month. Fortunately, I remember what's supposed to be happening in it.
Really I just called it what I think it would be called. As the name suggests is that the main character is disguised in some way, a noble disguised as a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy(or vice versa), and so on. Depending on what mood I am in it differs what I wish to write about, and yes I get that genre is probably better left to the archetypical teenage girl fiction. But meh, I don't particularly mind what genre (as long as I am not uncomfortable writing it.) you give me, but I want to write a short story and I've fufilled the flash fiction prompt.
I'm going to bed soon, so feel free to pool ideas. Any genre.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not this month, I've got too many other things going on and a fic I'd rather edit before writing anything new. I did manage to get 10,000 words (what I had set) last July though. That was productive.

Also! Any funny bits of your fics due to the AF prank here? I have this as my second paragraph from my last fic:
"Funky ass day, isn't it?" he commented ta tha girl beside him. Brooke tha Picnicker was his girlfriend, and she always hung out wit him on tha Route. It was they Role n tha Game ta wait here fo a trainer ta battle. Dis Role of theirs was a much more interesting one than what many of tha thugz inside Goldenrod had. After all, they gots ta have Pokémon battles, sum-m sum-m many other thugz n tha Game didn't git ta enjoy. N fact, some thugz's Roles didn't even allow them ta go outdoors, while they could at least takes on wild Pokémon n tha nearby grass.

Bay

Years
Concerning the neverending story idea, I remember we did something like that but in a "choose your own adventure" form. Probably we can bring this back or do something similar.

And now, for AF I'll be showing a quick excerpt from my one short Slumber Party:

Hilbert stared at N blankly, but then shrugged. "I guess there is times we don't have a reason why we come back ta someplace. I'm here back n Unova ta visit some thugz."

"I see." N stopped ta look down at tha ground and a thought occurred ta him. "Were you able ta go against Alder after I said mah farewell ta you?"

"I was able ta a week after, but I lost." A smile pulled over Hilbert's face. "Boi, he isn't Champion fo nuttin, I tell you!"

Yeah, this made me laughed a lot.

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I can't do NaNoWriMo. I try every year, but I never do make it since I'm such a slow writer. I've just given up, haha.

No no, it's different. You set up your own word goal in Camp NaNoWriMo. Could be 5k, 10k, 100k, anything you want!

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
I've got a question for you guys. How big do you think stories should be? I am asking in some specific aspects.
How many words do you think should be in:
A Paragraph.
Short Story
Fan Fiction
A Novel
Full Blown Published Stories.

I want to bring up some of my favourite books are 400-600 pages long, The longest thing I have wrote is about 8000 words long.
As a secondary question, do you look at writing and writing ability differently if you know the writer is young, old or such?

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I don't think too much about quantity when I write. I'm a strong advocate of quality over quantity and brevity. I also don't care about the writer's age. Honestly I just look at their books and that's all. I don't even know how half of my favourite authors look like in person. XD

Bay

Years
No no, it's different. You set up your own word goal in Camp NaNoWriMo. Could be 5k, 10k, 100k, anything you want!

Yeah that's the gist of Camp NaNoWriMo and one of the events I plan to do for the summer. Instead of getting 50,000 words you can set up your own goal that doesn't have to be x amount of word count. You can have your goal be I want to finish this particular story or chapter, too!

I've got a question for you guys. How big do you think stories should be? I am asking in some specific aspects.
How many words do you think should be in:
A Paragraph.
Short Story
Fan Fiction
A Novel
Full Blown Published Stories.

Honestly all of this is more or less pretty subjective although there are some exceptions. Most is this is something I heard what people think when it comes to short story/novel length and such.

A Paragraph: Can be any length, really. I've read published works that have very long paragraphs and some that have short paragraphs.

Short Story: This one is pretty varied too. From what I heard it can range from 100 to 10,000 words, give or take. Some might consider "short stories" 5,000 words or more on the longer story side.

Fan Fiction: Also very varied. There are fanfiction that are less than 200 words, some over 100,000 words. My stories tend to be 200 to almost 40,000 words.

A Novel: Many tend to think somewhere from 5,000 words to 40,000 words is a novella while 50,000 words or more is a novel.

Full Blown Published Stories: All kind of stories (short stories, novellas, and novels) gets published. Short stories in particular get published in anthologies or a short story collection.

I want to bring up some of my favourite books are 400-600 pages long, The longest thing I have wrote is about 8000 words long.
As a secondary question, do you look at writing and writing ability differently if you know the writer is young, old or such?

I've read some books that are that long and they're enjoyable. There are some however that have that length I feel dragged on a bit. Pretty much depends on the execution for me, or quality or quantity as Weiss Schnee said. 8,000 words is not a bad length! I know some friends that mentioned they can't write stories that long.

Sometimes I do as a younger writer is probably starting out and will do some mistakes at first. However, I've read fanfiction from writers younger than me that have better writing skills than me so age is always not a factor. I often also take into consideration if English is their first language, though I understand someone whose first language is English can make mistakes too.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
There's various charts and articles out there talking about how long a particular piece of writing should be. It depends on what you're writing and what genre you're writing in. I read one article that said Westerns tend to be on the shorter side for novels, while science fiction/fantasy novels are longer. That's because there's a lot to cover in a sci-fi/fantasy novel, like world-building.

Really, the answer can be that your story can be as long as it should, so long as the story gets told properly without a lot of unnecessary words.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
100 words it is!

Honestly, I just come up with an idea and determine how long it should be after I flesh it out. One of my current projects was supposed to be a novella, but has turned into what should be two novels. I always seem to write long stories. Much like Astinus, I think a story should be as long as it needs to.

I don't critique writing any differently if I know the writer is young/old. The only thing way it changes anything is if the writing is really good and it's written by a thirteen year old. Then I'm impressed.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
I didn't ask these questions for this purpose, but my Zombie Novella (DAY ONE) was written when I was thirteen, I am now fourteen. I have several unfinished yet good quality Novellas (Thank you Bay)

I was looking to expand an old roman/magicky-mythology one But I ran out of steam, I have no Ideas have to resolve it. If you want I could post it on PC.

I have a question, do you guys actually enjoy those shakesphere plays they read in school? Because I'm not too fond of it, but it is a staple attribute of literature.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I have a question, do you guys actually enjoy those shakesphere plays they read in school? Because I'm not too fond of it, but it is a staple attribute of literature.

I've only read a few Shakespeare plays: Romeo and Juliet, Julius Cesar, and Hamlet. The first two I'm so and so while Hamlet I kinda like. One of my English teachers loves Julius Cesar, though.

Years
Well, we haven't read any Shakespearean plays in school hitherto, so I can't answer that; his sonnet, however, which we've read in English II (can't remember the exact one) creeped me out a little.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I only read Hamlet in school, which I enjoyed. To the point that I had started to memorize the "To be or not to be" soliloquy. Outside of school, I read Romeo and Juliet when I was younger, and even then I thought of them as two stupid teenagers, so I didn't like that one. Recently, I read the Taming of the Shrew, and that one was all right.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
Yes I do. I have to, as a Literature student. XD

My favourite plays are Titus Andronicus, Othello and Twelfth Night. I did Macbeth and Hamlet in school. I find Shakespeare overrated though. Anyone heard of Duchess of Malfi?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
With the changes that our school went through my 8th grade year, Shakespear was dropped from the list of things we needed to do. And so through my 4 years my English teachers opted out of even mentioning Shakespear in lieu of other classics.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
My teacher spent a few minutes minimum on each line of any Shakespeare play we read, so the material was really dry to me. I struggle to connect what he's saying sometimes, and even if I do respect the plays a lot, I'm not that big of a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back