• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Knight

Respect the Chemistry
Years
i-has-question.jpg

How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
How do you all feel about recaps? I've considered the idea of incorporating them into my story since I write about a chapter per month, and even less often during the semester. I dunno, I'm concerned readers will forget important details in the story after long breaks in reading. Has anyone tried this before?
Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. Is this just a little blurb at the beginning of the chapter giving brief notes on the major events that happened recently? You know, like at the beginning of each episode of Avatar, the Last Airbender?

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Recaps are a bit of a balance thing. You could go about it a couple of ways. There's the "previously on" style used in TV series, for example, where you provide a condensed view of what has just transpired in the latest / last few eps. Or there's the settings brief, which would be a condensed view of the key on-screen events in the story regardless of how ago they transpired. Or perhaps there's something in the middle.

And each recap style is proner to help catch up a certain kind of reader than others, so I guess part of it is who you want to help catch up. I feel loyal but non-exclusively dedicated readers would strongly benefit from the first style, whereas the second would seem to be better fit for readers archive binging or about making the leap to comment / review. Just my opinion, dunno what the others think.

Still, as Nolafus says, I don't think I've ever seen a fanfic recap. So I can't judge their utility by experience.

Scarlet Knight

Respect the Chemistry
Years
Hmm... I'm not sure if I've ever seen this. Is this just a little blurb at the beginning of the chapter giving brief notes on the major events that happened recently? You know, like at the beginning of each episode of Avatar, the Last Airbender?

I'm not too familiar with Avatar (I know, sue me), but I believe we're talking about the same thing here. My go-to-TV show at the moment would be Arrow. A more popular example, I suppose, would be...I don't know. Yu-Gi-Oh? In my head, I planned to write it in a collection of quotes labeled "Chapter 1", "Chapter 3", etc.

Recaps are a bit of a balance thing. You could go about it a couple of ways. There's the "previously on" style used in TV series, for example, where you provide a condensed view of what has just transpired in the latest / last few eps. Or there's the settings brief, which would be a condensed view of the key on-screen events in the story regardless of how ago they transpired. Or perhaps there's something in the middle.

Yeah, I was thinking of going about this the first way. Frankly, I'm not sure what the second option is describing, haha. I do, however, want to avoid phrases like "previously on [Insert Title Here]" because I don't want my story to sound like basic written TV. A simple "Previously..." would work, I believe.

And each recap style is proner to help catch up a certain kind of reader than others, so I guess part of it is who you want to help catch up. I feel loyal but non-exclusively dedicated readers would strongly benefit from the first style, whereas the second would seem to be better fit for readers archive binging or about the leap to comment / review. Just my opinion, dunno what the others think.

I agree. I don't want it to be a cheat sheet for people who want to skip chapters, though I can see it unintentionally becoming exactly that. The main purpose is to remind readers something they could have forgotten. A subtle character moment trapped in the middle of a long chapter. Or an event that transpired quite a few chapters ago, which with my pace could translate to months in time. And even if it does become a cheat sheet, would that be the worst thing? If anything, it could make the story more comfortable for new readers, especially members whose join dates are preceded by my fic's birth date, to get into it.

Still, as Nolafus says, I don't think I've ever seen a fanfic recap. So I can't judge their utility by experience.

Me neither. I got the idea from a friend of mine who writes for fun at a different forum. He went on a year-long hiatus and started off the next chapter summarizing events from before. Connecting that with all the TV I watch, and the idea just came to me.

Lucky#13

Lucky Member
Years
i-has-question.jpg

I usually won't release anything I've worked on until it is finished. It can be read like a novel that way. No one is waiting for the next chapter to be released.

You definitely don't want to do a "here's what you missed" type thing. That promotes skipping chapters. You could remind readers of plot points from several chapters prior (at least 3 with your rate). By setting up a slight recap. You could casually place certain points into dialogue or thoughts from any character whose thoughts are read by the reader.

Brivoo

If any mods are reading this, go ahead and delete
Years
i-has-question.jpg

Personally, I think recaps are a terrible idea. They break the flow of the story and destroy the immersion; it's the same reason why I loathe those little author's notes at the beginning of each chapter.

Honestly, once a month is pretty good given the average for fanfic writers, so don't beat yourself up over it. If people don't remember something, they can very well go back and check, the lazy sods.

On a separate note, I don't actually own a fanfiction account or anything, but I am pretty interested in the idea of practicing writing with a few one shots. Any suggestions?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
On a separate note, I don't actually own a fanfiction account or anything, but I am pretty interested in the idea of practicing writing with a few one shots. Any suggestions?
You could look through the Flash Fiction challenges we're holding here in FF&W and see if there's any prompts that inspire you.
Spoiler:

You can also just look through the canon of what you want to write fanfiction for and see if there's anything that interests you. You can start exploring that idea through a one-shot and see where it takes you.

Years
If it had been a long time since your last chapter, then that's possibly a decent time to consider a recap. But they're not frequently necessary as they can get in the way of the story, as mentioned.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Congratulations to the mod spot, Bay! Yay. Any plans you've got brewing for this section that you wanna share?

(I wish the mentioning system on PC was in effect already)

Bay

Years
Thank you!

As for plans, at the moment only a couple things pop up. First is starting next week I'll be doing the flash fiction challenges (coming up with prompts I mean)! I might also do a couple threads in the writing lounge for discussion stuff.

Besides that, there is something I want to ask the members here first if they're interested.

Anyone remember the Blitz Writing Challenge back in 2012? I'm think of bringing this back in the summer as that's when many people have break from school and such. If there are those that want it earlier, then I can arrange that also!

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
(Can I post here, even though I've never posted any of my stuff? XD)

I love events like those, they really work me into a writing mood and having mini word wars with fellow members were kinda fun to me. I don't think I have any issue with when its held. :3

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
That'd be neat. Force my hand into writing so I can start actually making some headway on my story instead of blowing it off for lore haha.

Bay

Years
(Can I post here, even though I've never posted any of my stuff? XD)

I love events like those, they really work me into a writing mood and having mini word wars with fellow members were kinda fun to me. I don't think I have any issue with when its held. :3

Don't worry, you can still post here (and the Writers Lounge) even though you haven't posted any writing here. :P

Oh, mini words wars can be fun! Hm, I'm wondering if we should do them on a weekly basis, and if so where? Or perhaps just have members plan them together?

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
I'm a slow writer, so I can guarantee a very easy win against me if we do word wars, haha.
Then you should do more word wars! The amazing thing about them is that they have the ability to force all the words to gush out onto paper/screen. It's literally "Write first, worry later." :d

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
Can you explain what you mean by the term, "Word War"? Sounds like something quick paced, akin to a rapbattle but stories?

Bay

Years
Can you explain what you mean by the term, "Word War"? Sounds like something quick paced, akin to a rapbattle but stories?

You can say that! Basically you have two or more people gathering in a chathroom/chat client and they timed themselves to see who can get the most words in x amount of minutes. For instance, a friend and I can have a word war for ten minutes and then after that we compare our word counts. Hope this helps!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Maybe we could also have a never ending story type deal? Have people sign up for it and then we can have the participants take turns contributing to the story with ~500 word posts. Maybe each person gets a week to make an update? It sounds interesting but idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back