• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Re: Anime is ****

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Re: Anime is ****

I'm sure we all have these people around us. Close-minded people who ridicule anime watchers for following it "even after growing up". I sure have plenty of those. My current roommate (one of them) calls me a guy with "no life" (mostly jovially but still!). For them, the medium is nothing but "cartoons for kids and an infinitely inferior alternative to live-action as a medium".

So, how do you deal with them? How often do you come across people like those? Ignore them? Have you ever snapped back at them? Or tried to have a civil discussion and try to justify your stance on it?

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I have a ridiculously big poster at my work place, of Red mounted on a Charizard with Pikachu on his back.

So, yeah, I don't deal with them, they deal with me.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • I mean considering that a lot of anime is aimed at an older audience I just laugh at peoples ignorance of that fact. I don't exactly shout from the roof about my liking of anime but to be honest I don't shout about anything I like, I just watch, play or collect it. After all I'm the only who needs to care about it.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • cartoons for kids

Yeeeaaahhh call me when you have seen any of the ecchi/hentai/psychological/dark/gore/horror anime out there.

I don't come across them often. I mean, I know some of my friends are closet otakus as well. Although, it might have to be due to the fact that I don't put a lot of anime-related merch on my bags/pencilcases/etc haha.

mannakete

exec hymme Holy=Judgment sos yor
    Years
  • I don't deal with them. If that's what they want to think, I'm beyond the point of caring. Anime keeps aggravating me anyway.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • I keep my internet life away from my real life. It works really well, and I won't come across people who'll ridicule my hobbies.

But if you do meet these people, most of the time they'll be accusing mainstreams like Naruto or Bleach, usually because of the limited exposure inherent in not delving any further into the domain.

If they say it's muk, agree with them and say "yeah, those series are muk."

Worst thing you can do is get triggered, that just feeds the stereotype.
    ^advice for being a part of any fandom in general.

And if you happen to come across an elitist, just say "well yeah, I'm actually more of a Touhou person."

And they can't really say anything, because it's usually considered the pinnacle of anime by Japanese culture gourmets.

Years
  • I'm sure we all have these people around us. Close-minded people who ridicule anime watchers for following it "even after growing up". I sure have plenty of those. My current roommate (one of them) calls me a guy with "no life" (mostly jovially but still!). For them, the medium is nothing but "cartoons for kids and an infinitely inferior alternative to live-action as a medium".

If he watches Bollywood movies, you can give him crap for the crap the action scenes pull in those. That's practically cartoon-levels of absurdity on its own, haha.

And, for me, my reactions range from not bothering to tell them I'm into it to "Eh, whatevskis, brah. Keep drinking the haterade while I weeb it up over here." or something to that effect.

PiGreat

「KILLER QUEEN」! I'll blow you to smithereens!
    Years
  • Generally I try to keep it hidden from people who I know don't have the same interests as I do. And nobody ever comes into my bedroom anyway, so my giant Madoka wall scroll and my Kyubey plushie don't raise any questions. Well, they did from my parents when I first bought them but that's a different matter.

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    There is so many different types out there that I find it hard to believe anyone can completely dismiss anime.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I'm Asian and live in Asia so I guess the non-Asian people who decide to live here gotta deal with us and our amazing smorgasbord of cultures xD

But that being said, there are those kids who think they're too cool for anime or manga but whatever, I guess keeping up with the Kardashians stimulates brain growth. Thankfully a minority that is forgettable.

Raven Valt

Years
  • The best thing for me was when I wasn't expecting to find people who enjoyed anime, who lived near me, then when I entered college because it was a Media Art college and the course I took was Game design, most people there had a love for Video games and or anime, I remember the first day I arrived and I found a group of people talking about Full Metal Alchemist, I felt like crying with joy, The victory was so sweet and this ran through my mind:

I always tell myself that even if there are a load of people who find me liking anime weird, there will always be those who don't.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Whenever someone says this, I ask them "What is it about anime that makes it exclusively for children?" I've never heard anyone come up with a good answer to this question, and most of the time they end up simply repeating the charge: "Because, cartoons are for kids!" or something to that general effect. So I've long since concluded that people who say that have no idea what they're talking about, so it doesn't really bother me anymore ^_^

Raven Valt

Years
  • Whenever someone says this, I ask them "What is it about anime that makes it exclusively for children?" I've never heard anyone come up with a good answer to this question, and most of the time they end up simply repeating the charge: "Because, cartoons are for kids!" or something to that general effect. So I've long since concluded that people who say that have no idea what they're talking about, so it doesn't really bother me anymore ^_^

I suppose that's the argument with most people who have a lack of knowledge on something, They tend to just make really flimsy claims about it being bad, or the people who like it are weird. It'll always be like that, My personal opinion is if you don't like me for who I am and what I like then that's fine but don't try to make me feel bad about it.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Life is too short to care what people think. It's my life, if I want to cry over anime at the age of 24 and go to cons and cosplay, so what? My prerogative. My friends who don't get it never will, so I don't bother explaining it to them. It's just something I like, simple as that! The people who matter won't question it further.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • How do I deal with them? I ignore them. I don't care if you hate anime, that's your business, I won't bother to deal with them.

Back