• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Satoru Iwata has Passed Away

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Satoru Iwata has Passed Away

RIP Iwata.
    You will be missed.

Years
  • Not sure what to say that hasn't already been said...
    Mr. Iwata worked so hard for Nintendo and had a hand in delivering so many joyful experiences to us even before he became CEO of Nintendo, performing programming miracles on games like Earthbound and Pokemon Gold and Silver. He was there when the Wii did so very well financially, and was kind enough to cut his paycheck in half when the Wii U didn't do so fine so there would be no employee layoffs. It saddens me to think that one of his last public announcements was an apology to fans let down by this year's E3. I'll miss seeing his face and hearing his voice in future Nintendo Directs... Thank you for everything you've done, Mr. Iwata. I will continue to enjoy Nintendo games for the rest of my life.

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • I may have not agreed on everything with his decisions while he was a part of Nintendo, but I still have high respect for the man. I will truly miss him.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Not sure what to say that hasn't already been said...
    Mr. Iwata worked so hard for Nintendo and had a hand in delivering so many joyful experiences to us even before he became CEO of Nintendo, performing programming miracles on games like Earthbound and Pokemon Gold and Silver. He was there when the Wii did so very well financially, and was kind enough to cut his paycheck in half when the Wii U didn't do so fine so there would be no employee layoffs. It saddens me to think that one of his last public announcements was an apology to fans let down by this year's E3. I'll miss seeing his face and hearing his voice in future Nintendo Directs... Thank you for everything you've done, Mr. Iwata. I will continue to enjoy Nintendo games for the rest of my life.

It truly is sad. I wonder, for how long had Iwata san felt ill...I know he had a surgery a year ago, but considering his death now...one has to wonder if perhaps it's a combination of overworking and his illness that killed him (there are rumors that the reason he was didn't appear at E3 was due to his illness and yet he still took time to issue an (quasi?)apology despite possibly being ill).

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I couldn't concentrate when I got the news at work. I was on my lunch break when the news broke out, and it felt like my world came to a sudden halt. He brought so much joy into the gaming world, and I wouldn't even be the gamer I am today if it wasn't for him. Not only he is just a "CEO and president", but he is a best friend to each and every fan out there. He is a freaking LEGEND and he will never ever EVER be forgotten. Rest in peace, man. :(

Years
  • Yeah, this definitely came out of nowhere.

I just can't believe this is real. He looked perfectly fine at E3 last month and during all of those Nintendo Directs, and I hadn't realized he was having health issues. Just completely in shock.

R.I.P., Mr. Iwata :(

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • God darn it there's feels being reactivated when I see tributes start to pile up, including stuff like this: https://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.c...ta/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BitF updates -after it had ended- for that! =( Says a lot about his impact though when you see that reaction. Half contemplating writing up about his contributions to Pokemon myself, actually, GS are hella close to my heart.

Bay

Years
  • I saw one tumblr post mentioned how one of his last public announcements was him apologizing for this year's E3 and that they would strive to do a better one next year and that it's tragic (and indeed it is :< ). There's no denying he influenced both gamers and developers alike.

Last edited:
    Years
  • All the tributes all over the internet really show that he did something special to reach people. It's sad to see him go, and I hope he knew how much his work meant to people.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I saw one tumblr post mentioned how one of his last public announcements was him apologizing for this year's E3 and that they would strive to do a better one next year and that it's tragic (and indeed it is :< ). There's no denying he influenced both gamers and developers alike.

Pinkie Dawn mentioned the same thing. I actually came across some old posts a couple hours ago on gamefaqs and someone actually wished death on Iwata for "ruining" Nintendo (this post was from 2 years ago)...sadly that person's wish came true :(

Years
  • Wow what a crappy way to end off the day. I never knew him more than the guy that was on Nintendo Direct, but after learning about who he was and what he did well... it's a very tragic moment. He was a very good man that changed Nintendo for the better and we can only hope that his successor can live up to what he has been able to do.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata

Satoru Iwata has Passed Away

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    to wake up to this horrible news... i didn't believe it at first. it still hasn't completely sunk in, even. i had no idea his health problems were bad enough to be lethal. he always seemed so energetic in Directs and for E3, too. he truly was a gamer at heart, incredibly passionate and driven. it's a great loss for Nintendo, the industry, and gamers around the world. he was an inspiration. thank you so so so much, and rest in peace, Mister Iwata.

i'm gonna cry reading all these responses ;-;

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Oh, goodness... He's way too young to just die like this. It's kind of distressing to know that you can just go like that.

I think some things are never going to be the same after this. Man was legendary, from what I have heard about his earlier days, and I found it to be nice that he was there for the whole past decade. He seemed to be a really great person too.

Rest in peace.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • This is so depressing. It's like a piece of fandom, a huge one in fact, has been lost. Irrevocably. It's so sad to see such talented individuals leave us, so so soon. It's like the universe just lost another bright star....

RIP Iwata. I hope you're enjoying the games beyond life, and I'm sure that your legacy will live on forever.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Since I have never been a Nintendo gamer, the news definitely didn't hit me as the others, but this guy deserves respect for what he did to Video Games business as a whole.
    May he game in peace, forever.

He was perfectly fine at E3, it's surprising to see this happening. Very sad news in the gaming world today, especially that 55 is so young. May he rest in peace. He entertained an entire generation.
    E3? I'm pretty sure he hasn't been on E3 for these past two years precisely because of his health.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata. You are a truly incredible person and I can't believe the world would take away someone so soon. Thank you for your amazing work and god bless. :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2019
    He will stay in our hearts.
    I just can't imagine Nintendo Directs without him and his Humor.
    HE IS MY CHILDHOOD!!!!
    :(

Back