• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sleep paralysis

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I was talking to a close friend about this, and it sparked an idea for a thread.

So, have you ever experienced it? Did you find it scary? How many times has it happened to you? Share your experiences, if you can.

It's happened to me quite a few times, but it hasn't lately. I will say that it's EXTREMELY frightening though. :c

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Sleep paralysis is why I sleep on my stomach, and not flat on my back or either of my sides.

Years
  • I have it happen from time to time, maybe once every few months at the most. Not even that often, really, and it's usually been after a nap of some kind.

It freaked me out so much the first time it ever happened to me. I quickly found out if I just relax, it'll go away soon enough, so if it happens now it's mostly like "argh it's doing it again, I'll just wait for it to pass"...but that first time, though. The panic that perhaps something had gone wrong. Horrible.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It hasn't happened to me in a long time, but there was one night when it happened twice and it was awful. It's hard to describe but it just literally feels like you're trapped and you can't say or do anything about it for about 30 seconds.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I have been fortunate enough for this to never happen to me, but I do know a friend that has sleep paralysis quite often. He describes it as being very scary. He doesn't sleep well for fear of having an episode. :(

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • No because 1. I'm not a poke and 2. You can either have sleep or paralysis. Not both.

Years
  • Omg yes. It's been a very long time since I had this but it is such a terrifying experience. I can still remember getting sleep paralysis one night when I was 8 or 9 years old and how scary it was that I couldn't move. So thankful I almost never have it.

I have been fortunate enough for this to never happen to me, but I do know a friend that has sleep paralysis quite often. He describes it as being very scary. He doesn't sleep well for fear of having an episode. :(

That sounds absolutely horrifying and I am so sorry. D:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • No because 1. I'm not a poke and 2. You can either have sleep or paralysis. Not both.

Not to be rude but... remind me again what planet you come from? You can't see from the responses how many people have experienced this? Sleep paralysis is indeed real. Those who are skeptics should learn to keep their opinions to themselves, especially when it's plain as day in front of their faces.

From wiki:

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person either during falling asleep (hypnagogia) or awakening (hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react.

It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying and unusually powerful hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body).

I remember having episodes of it a lot when I was younger, and I remember having been terrified because I didn't know what was going on. It was just so scary. I mean, you just can't react in anyway while you're in such a mode. My friend was telling me about his experience he had with it, and I think he said that he's never really had it before until he finally did. It really is a frightening experience. I wish people who are skeptical would realize this is real and truly does happen. It might not make any sense, but it does happen.

Now, some people actually believe it to be related to demons. When you go into a sleep paralysis mode, it's supposed to mean that there's a demonic presence or something. The demon is holding you down and keeping you from doing anything or whatever. THIS I can see as being skeptical because that's not always true (if at all). It could happen because you slept in a certain position or some other reason.

Just pointing this out to the non-believers.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I think I've experience it once.

I woke up and I thought "I should move on the side" but.... I couldn't move. It's like I forgot how to move.. I was stuck on the back, without being able to move an arm, but my eyes were open and I could think normally.

Eventually I could move. It was last year and I never got that before or after.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • if you mean not being able to awake from a dream, thinking you actually awake and you struggling to get up, thinking you can't move
    ... i had that a month ago or so
    and i was so freaked out
    god i hope it never happens again​

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Not to be rude but... remind me again what planet you come from? You can't see from the responses how many people have experienced this? Sleep paralysis is indeed real. Those who are skeptics should learn to keep their opinions to themselves, especially when it's plain as day in front of their faces.

"I took what was meant to be a silly joke seriously and now I made this wall o' text as a result"

Hey, I beleive in it. Come on, this subforum is basically the most jokey thing that exists ever. Lighten up guys :P

Years
  • Oh yeah I experience this every now and then. Usually after a nightmare or sometimes whenever I have weird dreams a few minutes into falling asleep. I remember the first time I felt the paralysis I wanted to scream but couldn't and found myself heavily breathing. XD

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Yes. I suffer with it. My worst attack lasted 2 and half hours. No hallucinations, just paralysis with my eyes closed. Its scary as f.

Guest123_x1

Once every several months or so, I wake up and find out that I can't use one of my arms. I get so scared thinking I'm going to spend the rest of my life crippled, but I then fully regain use of that arm within a few minutes.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Yes I have. The first time it happened I was tripping balls and thought I was about to get possessed or something, shit's scary when you've never witnessed it before. I rarely get it now but usually nothing happens, but sometimes I'll see some wicked shit and hear sounds that will freak me tf out. What I've found out that helps it go away quicker is moving your feet, or at least trying.
    I usually get it when I'm under a lot of stress or when I'm going through some struggles. People say its' demons and and what not but personally, I feel it's negative energy in the world that you're fighting within yourself which you could call demons. Idk, it's hard to explain lol.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • Experience it literally all the time (on occasion).

Whenever I "nap" I risk suffering from this much more frequently than when I sleep at night. It happens when I'm in that middle stage between being completely asleep and being awake. I will feel hands holding me down, monsters whispering to me, I will feel myself sinking like I'm in quicksand. Funny thing is in my mind I know it's not real, so I kinda struggle until I snap out of it.

Back