• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE AVATARS!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Ok so basically when i look at an avatar of someone on the forum it generally does give me a vibe off the person. So i generally put some thought and emotion into mine.

Do you judge people based off their avatars? not like badly but you know haha. Do you think about the avatar you choose or will choose? If someones avatar shows an emotion or nature do you think that person has that nature or emotion? Honestly im tired right now but ive wanted to post this for a while and its kinda hard to explain haha so basically any thoughts on avatars to here! :)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Not most times, although super over bloomed/tone changed/ect. avatars can come off as a bit pretentious. I usually just judge the individual's visual aesthetic though and keep my opinion of them and their avatar/sig combo separate.

Years
    The selection of particular avatars can provide some insight into a person. You can determine their interests or tastes or maybe their personality.

For example, I have Commander Shepard as my avatar. Someone would be immediately able to tell that I like the Mass Effect game series. They may also be able to tell that I like strong female protagonists.

I also feel my avatar reveals about my personality that I'm blunt if not mildly aggressive.

I take similar cues from the selection of avatars made by others. As online communication is behind a screen and we can't actually see one another, the avatar is in place of a face, so I think even subconsciously most people will be forming an impression of others using their avatar.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
    yeah avatars do give me a vibe about that person but to a certain extent. If someone has a dark/cold vibe avatar I think of them as a serious person versus someone with a really happy looking avatar. Stuff like that. But I also look at what they type/have to say to get a general idea of how they really are. I more so associate avatars with people as in "Oh hey it's so and so again! I know you!".

Yes I'm very picky and take forever to pick avatars/profile pictures on any sites. It has to be perfect and give that this is me feeling if you know what I mean. It's a way of expressing yourself and I try to do it wisely.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I don't really notice enough to form an impression like that unless I see that person post a lot and they aren't one to drastically and frequently change avatars. In general the avatar is only a piece of what gives me an idea of how someone seems. How it combines with the signature and post content gives a lot more information. However, if the avatar has a face (and not like a character that people commonly have in avatars) I'll vaguely picture the person that way since one kind of naturally wants to associate a face with a name.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I don't really pay much attention to other people's avatars. Hell, I hardly pay attention to my own. Took me 10 months to change mine to something less... dreary. And it's my cat. I went with my cat in a Santa hat.
    And now Christmas is over, but we'll see how much longer we go before I get around to changing mine again. :P

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Avatars reflect personalities, and I will judge others based on that. It's the first thing my eyes are drawn to, second thing being the name, because images are much flashier than text. An appropriate representation image is important to me, and will shift my views accordingly on that person.

Honestly, I find it to be a good representation of personality even though people claim it not to be. What you choose as your avatar, even if it's a careless cavalier choice, does reflect people more than they think. If it is a choice that looks careless, then it reflects a mellow and casual personality. Whilst if it is more flowery and flashy, it represents a more aesthetic-appreciating persona. Avatars say much about a person if you examine them correctly.

Of course, I'm not saying you should judge a book by its cover or that a simple picture can say everything. It's just that I've found a lot of peoples' chosen avatars tend to match their writing style and words though, and even their names. Even emotions shown in an avatar with a face can kind of say something about that person's nature. An avatar with an unpleasant expression tends to make me associate that person with unpleasantness, even though I try not to judge based on facial expressions of these pictures so much.

My avatar is always carefully chosen. I am EXTREMELY picky and don't even know what the standards are myself. (Other than the fact that the subject in the avatar must always be female and a living creature with a clearcut face, as I do not wish to represent myself as male or an abstract image) If something feels right though, then I use it. And I tend to begin writing and speaking like that avatar as well. So that's also why the choice is important. It affects my personality slightly. I try to go with avatars that make me feel more bold and confident whilst still being fitting of me.

For instance, my current avatar. It was drawn by me for the purpose of being used as an avatar. (Which is something that I usually fail at because I'm far too picky.) That is Shion Uzuki from Xenosaga, and I feel she is the character in fiction who is most like me. Not only that, but her general appearance looks a lot like how I speak and come off, and also how I wish to speak and come off. It is a bookish, intelligent sort of appearance (the glasses help and they fit with my real life glasses), and makes me feel more confident and speak more formally. With this avatar, I feel I can say a lot of things I wouldn't normally say. That expression also fits me, as it is kind of unsure. Though she is intelligent, she's still vulnerable, and I feel it's important not to come off as an elitist robot. Because I am very flawed and completely the opposite of that. So does the clothing as well, as it is something I would wear.

Though I didn't draw these things specifically on her. They just kind of happened at random, and happened to be things that felt right. All I knew when I started the drawing was that I wanted it to be Shion. The rest just fell into place.

So basically, I am crazy about avatars, yes.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I don't judge people through and through based on an image they've used on a Pokemon forum, but it does leave first/umpteenth impressions about that person.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    An avatar can tell you what someone likes. Someone using a Flygon avatar probably likes Flygon, right? But there's really not much you can pull from an avatar usually, especially if you don't recognize what's in the avatar. I suppose you could pull something more from an avatar, like with Arylett's example, but in order to do that at all you'd had to have played the Xenosaga trilogy, and even then it could've just been that she likes Shion and there's nothing more to it than that. You wouldn't know unless you know the person behind the avatar.

So basically I think I'm like Patchisou on this; it's more like giving a "face" to a name than anything else.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Someone using a Flygon avatar probably likes Flygon, right?

Nah. I don't even like Omanyte. I just put it in as it was the CURRENT THING and I've yet to change it.

Generally my avatars are not really carefully chosen and I don't really put loads of time into it. I don't really judge other people by their avatars much, but I suppose there are /occasional/ deductions you can make from them. 8D

Years
    An avatar only tells me the interests of a person, and really nothing more. It's when interactivity between one another comes into play that I judge someone, whether through posts or messages.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I always use random shit that I think looks cool or is artistic. I try to use things that nobody else has ever or ever will use because I like being unique in some ways. Some people don't appreciate my tendency to change avatars often, but I... don't care, because I find cool stuff a lot so I'm going to change my avatar a lot.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I normally see avatars as a face for the user using it. Otherwise, it'll be kind of hard to picture me talking to them (even on a forum).

So far I've only been using avatars that I like, with a matching signature to go. And since I'm an Anime otaku, it's generally Anime avatars. There's really nothing special to it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Unless I already know what they look like and such, then yeah, I just assume everyone is their avatar honestly, haha. So that means that y'all thought I was really Jak most of this year, yes? :)

Years
    An avatar only tells me the interests of a person, and really nothing more. It's when interactivity between one another comes into play that I judge someone, whether through posts or messages.

Essentially what he said. I tend to view a member's avatar as what the member's interests are, like how you often see Oshawott avatars on me and well, I do love that blue cutie. It's essentially what shapes our personality as well.

Last edited:
    Back