• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: The Daily Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • I'm just sitting here wondering why on Earth people pay out the ass for iPhones when I have a $120 Samsung Galaxy Reverb that's done everything I need it to for two and a half years

For the same reason I didn't spend $2500 on a MacBook to call it a laptop.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • For the same reason I didn't spend $2500 on a MacBook to call it a laptop.
    Huh? o_O

I do need a phone, that's for sure. A long time ago I vowed to myself that I'd never voluntarily purchase or use an Apple product for my own sake. God help me when I have to fix other people's iCraps.

José came over yesterday to tell me about the orders he has for me, and thinking about the different professions of ours (his friends car mechanics, him house technician, me computer repairman), I started to notice a lot of stark similarities between PCs and cars.

If I were dealing in cars I'd be a mechanic without a lot of money, saving back for a sports car, then. I'd have a field day with the man from Mars lol

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Apple sucks. Samsung's a bit of a de facto. Other brands are negligible. That's my take on it

With computers I like Toshiba and Lenovo for laptops since you can't really build them, and desktops are all custom with a plethora of brand preferences with the parts.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Apple sucks. Samsung's a bit of a de facto. Other brands are negligible. That's my take on it

With computers I like Toshiba and Lenovo for laptops since you can't really build them, and desktops are all custom with a plethora of brand preferences with the parts.

Do you have any recommendations for gaming laptops that can run Steam very well?

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Ringabel, you could always look into Alienware lol

At my job we sell this Alienware Alpha that's nearly $600, more pricey than the Xbox One, PS4 & Wii U. My local Walmart sells this Alienware Laptop for over $1,000 haha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    Ringabel, you could always look into Alienware lol

At my job we sell this Alienware Alpha that's nearly $600, more pricey than the Xbox One, PS4 & Wii U. My local Walmart sells this Alienware Laptop for over $1,000 haha.

Nice! Could it be used for college antics as well? Or is it more known for its gaming characteristics?

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I honestly don't know much about the Alienware gaming laptop, but I would think it's more for gaming than college antics. I would just get a simple chromebook/notebook laptop for that. Heck, my laptop would be prefect since it can handle Steam and do your schoolwork on it. I have the HP Pavilion 17-e119wm Notebook PC with the AMD A10 Quadcore Processor with 8GB RAM system memory and 1 TB hard drive. If you want to look that up lol. It cost me $600 in USA currency but it's well worth it for someone like me! <3

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Do you have any recommendations for gaming laptops that can run Steam very well?
    Eh... I only really know about workstation laptops and the like... sorry but I don't really frequent laptop shopping enough to give you an answer for that. A lot of folks on LTT will tell you Alienware is a rip-off, and looking into it they're kind of right.

By the way, big newsflash here: Don't ever buy from Wal-Mart if you're not getting something disposable. This is especially apparent with electronics – Wal-Mart contracts with manufacturers to buy more cheaply-made products with shorter warranties so they can make more in markup. They're literally buying lower-quality products and selling them under the same names as what you'd buy elsewhere. Do not buy!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Alienware, ugh, I think they are ugly 8)

I love my ASUS whatever the model was called again... Some kind of Republic of Gamers one. G550JK? I think.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    My old laptop got so hot we had to put it on some lego base we build so the hot air could escape from under it. And it burned when you tried to pick it up after use.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • This laptop of mine is certified crap. This ASUS D550M can (thankfully) handle Minecraft at lowest settings and give me between 10 and 20 FPS.

Fixing PCs for cash will hopefully let me shore up enough money to put together a build. I have my case sitting right here, it's gorgeous. Cougar makes lovely cases :3

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    What's a mechanical keyboard?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I've always found "gaming" targeted merchandise to be superfluous to a degree. I want performance-oriented, please - I don't just game. Unfortunately those very peformance-oriented things have been labelled as "gaming" products like they're the only PC user markets in existence and there aren't plethoras of developers and other users who would like the most out of their PC and not some shoddy Chinese flim-flam

When you're gaming, programming, web browsing, and running background apps all together you're going to want some nice hardware.
    I'm actually both gaming and working with code right now. It's not source code, but it's definitely not a Word document, either. I'd appreciate a nice PC for that.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • What's a mechanical keyboard?

I would give you a video, but I'm on my phone :(

Basically, it's a gaming keyboard where the keys out less impact on your fingers and make a nice clicking sound when pressed. They're super nice, but some find them annoying. I love the sound, though.

I've always found "gaming" targeted merchandise to be superfluous to a degree. I want performance-oriented, please - I don't just game. Unfortunately those very peformance-oriented things have been labelled as "gaming" products like they're the only PC user markets in existence and there aren't plethoras of developers and other users who would like the most out of their PC and not some shoddy Chinese flim-flam

When you're gaming, programming, web browsing, and running background apps all together you're going to want some nice hardware.

Except the main difference between a gaming computer and regular one is pretty much just a great graphics card along with a few other things. Just because it's labeled a "gaming" computer, doesn't mean. It won't run a web browser or Microsoft Word just as well as any other, lol.

Ice1

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Okay, I just googled it, and I apparently have a mechanical keyboard, haha.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Except the main difference between a gaming computer and regular one is pretty much just a great graphics card along with a few other things. Just because it's labeled a "gaming" computer, doesn't mean. It won't run a web browser or Microsoft Word just as well as any other, lol.
    for those of us who are serious enough about PCs to build them custom (it's not hard, really like Legos with an antistatic wriststrap), prebuilt PCs aren't a concern. I'm referring to the keyboards, mice, monitors, cases, coolers, all of that stuff.

As for what you're talking about, so often a pre-built gaming PC has a joke of a GPU, too. Like, GT series Nvidia cards, and AMD HD 7000-series. You'd be ages wiser to take a few extra hours to build it lol

EDIT: Here, watch this. Linus explains it all for you, with all the major pros and cons of each route you can take.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back