• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] The Glacial Gathering: Ice Types Fanclub

Years
I found a fun video imagining what type of team Ash would have in the anime, if he became an ice type master. These are speculations based on real pokemon that he has used, as well as pokemon he befriended, but might not have actually trained. Some good points made for some of these.

Another option that comes to my mind is a wild beartic that Ash spent some time helping in Journeys. It could have become part of his team in an alternative universe. Maybe even his Greninja could count, if instead of battle bond it was a protean Greninja, then it could fire off an ice type attack, and become ice technically.

What ice pokemon do you think Ash could have built a team around?

Years

Scarlet/Violet has at last given us an Ice type Pseudo legendary, which has also broken Kyurem's monopoly on the Dragon/Ice type combination:
996.png
997.png
998.png

Do you like the new pseudo? Would you have preferred a different type combination, or perhaps a pure Ice type as an Ice pseudo?

Amongst all 10 pseudo legendaries (or 11 if you count Hisui Goodra separately), how high would you rank it? Use whatever criteria you want.

The line has a signature ability: Thermal Exchange, which boosts the Pokemon's Attack stat when it's hit by a Fire-type move. It also prevents being burned.
Baxcalibur has a signature move: Glaive Rush. It's a strong move, but has side effects: attacks from opposing Pokémon during the next turn cannot miss and will inflict double damage.

What do you think about this line's signature move and ability?

Also Anime watchers might wanna check out the question in the post above this one =3

own answers:
Spoiler:

Years
Do you like the new pseudo? Would you have preferred a different type combination, or perhaps a pure Ice type as an Ice pseudo?

Not a different type, but a different looking Pokemon. I like the type combination especially because it feels like the two opposites being together as Ice is supereffective on dragon. I am also happy to see another dragon ice type. On the other hand, I don't like the design. Anyone in the line, I don't like them. And I don't know why, but it feels like a cheap copy of Duraludon.

Amongst all 10 pseudo legendaries (or 11 if you count Hisui Goodra separately), how high would you rank it?

1) Garchomp
2) Metagross
3) Salamence
4) Dragapult
5) Tyranitar
6) Hydreigon
7) Dragonite
8) Kommo-o
9) Goodra
10) Baxalibur

Haven't tried yet, but they seem pretty ok to me. I am intrigued by using them more.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Hate the basic. Middle is cool. Final is meh. Would probably be at the bottom of my Pseudo list tbh. Ability sounds cool, but I can't give much feedback since I haven't played around with them yet. Maybe I'll start a new file soon and try adding Arctibax to my team this time.

Video isn't working for me, but when I think about Ice-types and Ash, Lapras immediately comes to mind.

EDIT: Actually, I might like it a tad more than Goodra.

Last edited:
Years

I do like Baxcalibur. It's well-known that dragons hold a special place in my heart, and that one looks towering and menacing, it's rocking the icicle beard and the great stats across the board, just look at that gargantuan attack, and for the bulky type of pokemon it is the speed is pretty good, and it's got dragon dance, so sure! We have a good physical sweeper.

I actually love that it's an ice dragon, it's like Kyurem has a newborn brother. I think the two typings can help one another out, even though it has it's share of weaknesses. While ice doesn't have any resistances besides itself, the dragon presence gives it quite a few new resistances like grass, electricity and water, and ice takes away one big weakness for dragons, that being other ice types. Dragons are only super-effective against other dragons, but ice gives it stab super-effectives against many types, ground, grass, flying, dragons etc, so I think it's cool combo for offense.

Amongst all 10 pseudo legendaries (or 11 if you count Hisui Goodra separately), how high would you rank it? Use whatever criteria you want.

This is tricky, because I like most of the pseudo legendaries, but I might order them something like this.

Thermal exchange is really good. It takes this pokemon from being neutral to fire attacks to having the upper hand, using any such move with a Baxcalibur around would be very dangerous, because it boosts that bloated attack stat even higher, and a burn won't happen to shut down its attack. I have watched some fun ranked battle strategies around this, including a double battle where an ally pokemon (Ceruledge iirc) used lava plume to hit the opponents while also setting off Baxcalibur's thermal exchange with that little bit of damage that comes your way.

It's hidden ability ice body might need to be explored too, as a not bad second ability. On a snow team you could play with it's defensive capabilities since it would get recovery every turn along with the defense boost of the snow.

I am kinda scared of glaive rush honestly, though I know everybody loves it, I will probably use it sparingly. The powerful moves always come at a cost, and even though you will kill many things with the 120 damage, the side affect of receiving double damage and your opponent's move always hitting, even if it's a ohko move is not insignificant to me. So I see it as for the do or due situations. Or if I was sure that the enemy would not survive and not be around to seek revenge, and something i would try on another bulky pokemon. I wouldn't want to burn up Baxcalibur quickly, and might want to keep something weaker like a dragon claw around just in case.

Last edited:
Years

Paldea has given us a new Ice type Gym leader, Grusha:

grusha.jpg

Pokemon levels-wise, Grusha would be the 8th Gym Leader. His team is in spoilers:
Spoiler:

Do you like Grusha?
What did you think of his team?
Would you have given him any different Pokemon?

How do you feel about his gym challenge?

Own answers:
Spoiler:

Years
Do you like Grusha?

I kinda like Grusha. I thought his character design was original. He has an androgynous, almost elfin look with the shoulder-length ice blue hair and the most magical sea green eyes ever.

His personality was also interesting. Because he is wearing winter clothing that look so soft and warm, so I mistakenly thought he was going be gentle, shy perhaps but i wasn't prepared for him to speak cynically to the player. Even though he was mildly amused watching you snowboard, he is brutally honest that he expects you to fail in battle. His dialogue is harsh to direct at a school girl/boy, but at the same time I think it's apparent that he is not saying these things for malicious reasons, but because he is trying save you from greaterpain, or so he thinks. Maybe he suffered some experiences as an athlete or in battle when he was younger that were so painful they have made him jaded?

I thought he was hard. He had some good pokemon like Ceititan and Frosmoth, but the thing that made him a challenge for me was the level gap between his pokemon and mine. He was either my 3rd or 4th gym, none of my party pokemon were more than level 35, and they were not all evolved and had typical mid-game moves, but his pokemon were fully-evolved and almost level 50 with powerful attacks like earthquake, hurricane and blizzard. I was startled by the level jump since this was the gym that the pokemon center nurse recommended to me. She has quite a sense of humor.

As soon as i saw his team i reset the game to give my teammates all my rare and exp candy to lessen this gap. I lost most of ny team and had to use healing items, but eventually we did win, if clutch. Hardest part was taking down the tera ice altaria. It's movepool as a dragon gave it some coverage moves i wasn't prepared to counter like moonblast.

Assuming that he is designed to be more of a late game opponent i think his team is appropriate for the 7th or 8th gym. The only thing i would change is giving some of his pokemon an extra move. Not all of them have 4 moves, and i think by that stage of game a gym leader should have a complete moveset, even though he would not be the first end game trainer to use 3.

I thought it was fun. I was grateful that i didn't have to search long for a person, pokemon or item to complete the quest, and could hop right into an easy enough, but still cool little snowboarding minigame, riding down the slope of the mountain. It was a nice change of style. Something that could have made it especially memorable i think though would be if you could ride on any pokemon that could carry you, and not only Miraidon or Koraidon.

Years
Do you like Grusha?

I love Grusha, love, love, love him! He's gorgeous and I find his personality intriguing! I love his design so much and his a androgynous vibe! He's undoubtably my favourite ice-type gym leader and one of my top leaders overall.

I think it's a very fitting team! I also like it when a gym leader's team complement their personality, and I feel as though his team accomplishes that. I didn't have any difficulty with him particularly, my Cerulege effortlessly handled him for the most part.

I'd perhaps switch out Beartic for Glaceon, simply because Glaceon is my favourite ice type and I think it would suit him, and would make a lovely addition to his team!!

Unmistakably one of the most fun ones! I just wish it was a bit longer. There's a mini game in the first PokePark game that it bares resemblance to, and I loved that game as well! I actually replayed the gym challenge a few times, as I thought it was a fun little activity to do to switch up gameplay.

Last edited:
Years

Below are all the categories and their phrases from gen 3's Trendy Saying.

Using up to 5 phrases, not using the Pokemon's name, how would describe your favorite Ice type Pokemon or how you feel about it?

Using up to 5 phrases, what message would you give a Pokemon trainer when you're challenged to a battle?

Just like with the Trendy Saying in Dewford Town, using two phrases to start a new saying, what would your Trendy saying related to Ice types be?

Categories: POKéMON & POKéMON2
Spoiler:

Category: TRAINER
Spoiler:

Category: STATUS
Spoiler:

Category: BATTLE
Spoiler:

Category: GREETINGS
Spoiler:

Category: PEOPLE
Spoiler:

Category: VOICES
Spoiler:

Category: SPEECH
Spoiler:

Category: ENDINGS
Spoiler:

Category: FEELINGS
Spoiler:

Category: CONDITIONS
Spoiler:

Category: ACTIONS
Spoiler:

Category: LIFESTYLE
Spoiler:

Category: HOBBIES
Spoiler:

Category: TIME
Spoiler:

Category: MISC.
Spoiler:

Category: ADJECTIVES
Spoiler:

Category: EVENTS
Spoiler:

Categories: MOVE 1 & MOVE 2
Spoiler:

Category: TRENDY SAYING
Spoiler:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

own answers:
Spoiler:

Years

Let's talk PokeDex :fufu:
What are your favorite ice type PokeDex entries?

For me:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I always liked Articuno's pokedex entries. This one from Red and Blue has stayed with me over the years- A legendary bird POKéMON that is said to
appear to doomed people who are lost in icy mountain

I think that sounds eerie, and maybe not what you would expect since Articuno is such a beautiful and majestic, it doesn't sound like seeing
Articuno is actually good thing, kinda like seeing an Absol, it's a sign of your misfortune. I heard another interpretation from a friend who thinks
the dex is suggesting that the reason Articuno appears is to save you, to guide you out of the icy wilderness, which I think sounds interesting too.
Not sure if that's really how the pokedex meant it, but both are cool to think about.

The HGSS entry for Articuno also says some nice things about the appearance and texture of it's wings and body that sound lovely. I.E The
magnificent, seemingly translucent wings of this legendary bird Pokémon are said to be made of ice.

I have always found the pokedex entries for Lapras poignant, striking a nerve because of how it echoes the way humans have treated different
species in reality, and is a message about the dangers of the way we live currently. The Ruby and Sapphire entry says this - People have driven
LAPRAS almost to the point of extinction. In the evenings, this POKéMON is said to sing plaintively as it seeks what few others of its kind still
remain.

Pretty heavy for pokemon.

I would have liked a larger presence for Treasures of Ruin legendaries in SV. I love the idea of them, but they're just there if you want to look for
them and catch them, like Zygarde, but I think they were intriguing enough to have a plotline like starfall street, path of legends or victory road.
At least they have good pokedex entries though, Chen Pao's is epic I.e The hatred of those who perished by the sword long ago has clad itself in snow
and become a Pokémon.

Years
I'd look in legendary Pokémon entues, because they're often among the most interesting.

Regice's one is incredibly cool. Not only it talks about how cold Regice is but mentions an ice age and a South pole.

Spoiler:

Froslass is one of my favourite Pokémon and here's a cool entry from HGSS:

Spoiler:

Kyurem:

Spoiler:

Years

The Gift of Surprise Event
Year 3 =D

I wasn't sure whether to host this again or not as I never heard back from any of the other type clubs and badges are gone now. Decided to host it anyway with my own two Type Clubs in case anyone still wants to do it =3

Today marks the start of an event in collaboration with The Cosmic Channelers.
You have the whole of December to participate in it. The goal of this event is to spread some Pokemon love through Wonder/Surprise trade during the season of giving =D

You do not have to be in either of the clubs to participate!
You just need to go to one of the participating Type clubs and indicate that you are there for the event when posting your box of mons. You will then be 'Honorary members' of that type club. And who knows, maybe you'll like the club and stick around? =3

giftssurprise2023-png.109020

For anyone who is in multiple type clubs or no type club at all: you can just pick the type you wish to lend a hand and participate for!
If you have enough time, you can participate with a box of mons for each the other clubs too if you want! (one box max per club)

Rules:
-You can Wonder/Surprise trade ANY legitimate mon for the type club you want to participate for, as long as it has the typing of that type club!
If, for example, you're participating for the Psychic Club, your mons need to have Psychic as one of their types! As such Delphox does count as a Psychic type, but Fennekin/Braixen do not.
Beyond that, the mon choice is completely up to you! Just make sure you're actually okay with trading it away if it's something special like a shiny, legendary or has PokeRus etc.
If you don't have enough mons you can go breed or catch them!

-If you're giving away a legendary or shiny, you can offer these up in a [Giveaway] thread in the Trade Corner.
Just make sure they're the right type and that you actually end up trading them; they won't count until you've actually traded them! If you do this, then when submitting you need to link your [Giveaway] thread in addition to your before/after pics!
If successfully given away you can reduce the amount of mons you need to Surprise/Wonder trade by however many shinies or legendaries you gave away.
If for example you gave away 3 shiny Ice types in your [Giveaway] thread in the Trade Corner, you'd link your thread and then provide before and after pics of the other 27 Ice types that you surprise/wonder traded away to get the required total of 30 mons traded.
Keep in mind that this is optional and if you prefer to send any legendary or shiny mons off through Surprise/Wonder trade instead, that's perfectly fine too! This is just meant as an alternative for more special mons.

-Tera Ice & Psychic types count, but you'll also need to offer these up in a [Giveaway] thread in the Trade Corner.
Just make sure they're the right type and that you actually end up trading them; they won't count until you've actually traded them! If you do this, then when submitting you need to link your [Giveaway] thread in addition to your before/after pics!
If successfully given away you can reduce the amount of mons you need to Surprise/Wonder trade by however many Ice or Psychic Tera types you gave away.
If for example you gave away 5 Psychic Tera type Pokemon in your [Giveaway] thread in the Trade Corner, you'd link your thread and then provide before and after pics of the other 25 Psychic types that you surprise/wonder traded away to get the required total of 30 mons traded.

For Scarlet/Violet, if you receive any Psychic/Ice Tera Types during Surprise Trade, on mons that don't have them as part of their normal typings (say for example an Ice Tera Oinkologne), then I'd recommend putting one of them in your top row of your box and hovering your cursor over it just so I can see one of them on the screenshot without requiring any additional images.
For any additional mons that don't have Ice or Psychic as part of their normal typings, but do have it as their Tera, just type them out.

Note: it would seem there's currently no [Giveaway] tag. Just put whichever tag applies and then put [Giveaway] in your thread title in some shape or form.

-Make sure you post your submission in the corresponding type club's thread!
-Deadline is midnight on December 31st to January 1st.

To recap:
In the following order:
-Try to gather a box full of mons (30) to trade away for the type of your choice.
-Don't forget to take a screenshot/photo before you send them off!
-Then Wonder/Surprise trade them all and keep what you first receive for your mon!
So no endlessly trading till you have a full box of same type mons back.
-Take a screenshot/photo again.
-After completing the Wonder/Suprise Trade, list/mention which mons of that Pokemon Type you got back again.
-Don't forget to include the Before and After screenshots in your submission!

If you managed to Surprise/Wonder Trade 30 mons of your chosen type club's type away and provided the before & after screenshot then you've completed this event =)
If you didn't manage to complete the event this year, you can try again next year! =)

People who do not reach the goal of 30 can still add to their type club's same type received back totals. Just post what you did get done!

Not entirely sure if there's still any point in the 'trophy' as both clubs are my own clubs... I'll put this in a spoiler for now and might scrap it.
Spoiler:

Current standings:

Glacial Gathering: 3 Ice Types received back.
-Alex_Among_Foxes: 1 Ice type; Tera Ice Toedscool.
-Devalue: 0 Ice types.
-ReKoil: 2 Ice types; Spheal and Bergmite.

Cosmic Channelers: 1 Psychic Types received back
-Devalue: 1 Psychic type; Ralts.

Attachments

• giftssurprise2023.png
    giftssurprise2023.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
(@ReKoil) I might not be apart of this club, (athough I really should be considering Ice is one of my top 3 favorite Typings lol) I'll still join in the event! I do love some good trading after all!

I don't have anything ready yet, but if it's just a single box of 30 it won't be that hard to get it all ready. The Gen of choice for me will be 9 if that matters.

Years
(@ReKoil) I might not be apart of this club, (athough I really should be considering Ice is one of my top 3 favorite Typings lol) I'll still join in the event! I do love some good trading after all!

I don't have anything ready yet, but if it's just a single box of 30 it won't be that hard to get it all ready. The Gen of choice for me will be 9 if that matters.

Any Pokemon game which has either Wonder or Surprise Trade will do. Which is basically gen 6 and up.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Might be the last time participating in one of these. Likely closes online features by the next time.

Traded the following from Y:
- 15 level 7 Glaceons with the name "Diamond". Hatched these a loooooong time ago (3/20/2018). 5-6 perfect IVs on all of them. Modest nature. Knows the egg moves Captivate and Yawn. Gave all of them a Lucky Egg.

- 15 level 34-36 Mamoswines. 4-5 perfect IVs. Adamant nature with the Thick Fat (hidden) ability. Has both Icicle Crash and Icicle Spear from egg moves. Holds a Balm Mushroom.

Before and after images:
Spoiler:

Results: 0 Ice types. Looked back at past years. Received none in those either. So...0 for 90 lifetime for the Ice Club.

Notable things:
- Traded with one person at least twice. Gave a level 1 Fletchling (with Big Pecks) one of those times. Matched a Fletchling from earlier.
- Remembers seeing people from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- Toxic Boost Zangoose with 1 perfect IV
- 4 perfect IVs on one of the Fletchlings. (Did not inspect the other.)
- Highest level: 40 (Electrode).
- Held items: Poison Barb on Vivillon.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
I finally had a moment to finish this up!

Before:
Spoiler:

After:
Spoiler:

Years
I was shiny breeding Bergmite, so I sent out a full box of 30 HA Heavy Ball Bergmite's with all 3 egg moves it had in gen 8 =3

Before:
Spoiler:

After:
Spoiler:

Got 2 Ice types back; a Spheal and a German Bergmite. Thought I was getting one of my own Bergmite back when I saw that Bergmite come my way, but luckily it wasn't.

Standouts:
-6 Website shinies, which got released as soon as I was done.
-A Love Ball Cottonee, which I will keep so I can breed it with my own Cottonee.
-A Moon Ball Munna, which I will also keep so I can breed it with my own Munna.

Would've been a better box for the Psychic club as I got 3 Psychic types back.
Still did better than last year though where I got only 1 Ice type back (Snorunt).
And worse than the first year where I got 3 Ice types back (Sneasel, Smoochum, Glalie).
Roughly par for the course, I guess?

Attachments

• 411589489_886653576516043_8139457303772492891_n.jpg
    411589489_886653576516043_8139457303772492891_n.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 411595803_886653646516036_6274742035358530548_n.jpg
    411595803_886653646516036_6274742035358530548_n.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 8
Years
It's January 1st so the event is now officially over. Thank you to all who participated and hopefully see you again next year =D

Final standings:

Glacial Gathering: 3 Ice Types received back.
-Alex_Among_Foxes: 1 Ice type; Tera Ice Toedscool.
-Devalue: 0 Ice types.
-ReKoil: 2 Ice types; Spheal and Bergmite.

Cosmic Channelers: 1 Psychic Types received back
-Devalue: 1 Psychic type; Ralts.

*cough* I totally didn't only submit for the Ice Club just so it could actually win for once =P *cough*

Congratulations to Glacial Gathering for winning =D
Our 2023 Generous Gifter Trophy:
attachment.php

Full size:
Spoiler:

Citra La Magicienne

The Most Inconsistent Forum Poster
Years
Frostly, the Snowball Pokemon!
frostly.png092.png

Ice/Flying

Frostly --Let's Go feature or equivalent while in a snowy area-> Drifter --Level up while knowing Present-> Genglaus

---------------------------------------

Abilities:
Snow Warning - Snow is activated when this Pokemon enters battle.

Icy Composure - When sun is active, this Pokemon loses 1/16th of its HP every turn. When snow is active, it instead gains 1/8th of its HP every turn.

Hidden Ability:
Snowballing - Snow is activated when this Pokemon first enters battle. While snow is active, this Pokemon's Defense is raised by one stage every turn.

Pokedex Entries:

Version 1 - This Pokemon is known to be somewhat of a prankster- in colder months, it will make a habit of flying into unaware victims at high speeds. This has no lasting harm on it, however, due to its ability to reshape itself if it were to fall apart. As it repeatedly does this, it will grow larger as it accumulates extra snow until it finally evolves.

Version 2 - There are old rumors that Frostly come to life from regular snowballs when given a magic top hat, but no attempts to recreate this have succeeded so far. It is believed that these rumors came about from their habit of targeting those wearing top hats for their snowball pranks, making it seem as if a reforming Frostly rose from underneath a fallen top hat.

Signature Move:

Snowball Slam - Flying - Physical - 80 Base Power - 20 PP - 90% Accuracy
This move has a 10% chance to make the enemy confused or flinch.
This move also does Ice-type damage.

4x - Grass
2x - Fighting, Ground, Flying, Bug, Dragon
1x - Normal, Poison, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Fairy
1/2x - Fire, Water, Electric, Ice, Rock,
1/4x - Steel

I've had this little idea in my head for...WAY too long. So I finally spent the time to make it! It's not perfect and I'd definitely add more details, but here's Frostly! Convergent with Gastly of course. I like to imagine this does the "Evolves into multiple of itself" thing and ends up as a little snowman.
I always wanted to make a regional/convergent Gastly that was Ice/Poison since we didn't have it yet, but I couldn't think of anything to make it really work.

This little guy is Ice/Flying type, because snowballs already spend most of their time flying through the air and this guy floats too. It has a little aura of snow around it instead of a ghostly aura, which I think looks great here even though it's very simple.

It's name, Frostly, is close to Gastly per the convergent mon rules, but is also a play off Frosty the Snowman. Hence, it has little coal eyes and carrot fangs!

I wanted to keep the big eyes, but I wasn't sure how to do them best. My thought was that they would kind of be like sunglasses now, but more like little protective googles for when it's flying fast. And, being an ice type, they would be clear ice! Hence, in the little art if you look on the left you can see that little part that shows it's a little see-through.

As for the mouth, it's uh....a mouth???

Icy Composure and Snowballing are abilities I came up with, but while Icy Composure is just an ability I could see being on almost any Ice-type, I think Snowballing would be its line's signature ability. It might be a lot, but I'm thinking of how this line would have a very low defense stat to start since it's literally just snow, and so having that boost over time would be very nice for it while not being broken.

The signature move is based off its pranking habit, and does both flying and ice type damage, since it is using itself for it(ice), while launching very fast in the air at them(flying). Maybe it's a bit much, but I like the damage chart that comes from it, perfectly balanced! 1 4x, 1 1/4x, 5 2x, 5 1/2x, and 6 1x. Beautiful.

I know this all seems like a lot for just this little guy, but as you can tell from the top the idea is that this all carries on, so it might not realistically get its signature move before it gets to Genglaus.

I don't have any proper design ideas for what Drifter(snowdrift, haunter) and Genglaus(santa claus, gengar) would look like, but the evolution ideas are meant to be so from Frostly to Drifter you have to walk with it to let it collect snow, and since Genglaus would be a sort of Santa Claus type Pokemon, it would have to know Present, because of course!!!

Maybe the evos are bit much idk :v

Any ideas/input is welcome!!!! I spent wayyyy too much time on this but as mentioned I've been thinking about this almost since regional Pokemon first started.

...yes I am aware this is ANOTHER ice-type variant of a gen 1 mon. but actually it's a convergent pokemon so HUSH

edit: upon rereading, this is all a rambly mess i am SO sorry but i love this guy

Last edited:
Back