• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along IV: A New Gaming

Years
  • Alright I'm gonna require a loosening anyway. I won't play Ghost Trick but I will play the first Danganronpa. It's also not, like, ""scary"" but it definitely has better horror elements to it, at least. :P I can't really think of anything else I have that fits the bill that I haven't also played within the last year.

I can pay it.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Update! I finished DREDGE, but I'm in a bit of a rush, so I'll add my quick playthrough review later on. 👍

Edit: It's now later on, so here I am with my review.
    For a fishing game, I'd give it an 8.7/10. I loved the boating and fish-catching aspects, but a few issues come in the form of not enough interesting or meaningful upgrades, and a general lack of reason to catch every (or almost every) fish. The game is a narrative story first, a fishing game second, and that's all well and good until you're right at the end and all you want to do is be done with it. I'm also not a fan of the fact that major quest items can either be lost overboard completely due to RNG, or that you can (without getting a warning) straight up sell off future quest objectives if you don't know they are important yet. (not 'main quest' items though, of course) As a 'horror game' though, I'd give it a 6.3/10. The horror aspect works well at the start of the game when it feels like everything can kill you quickly and you don't know how it all works, but mid to late game it all just becomes a chore. Not enough story bits to feel fully realized into something properly interesting, fragments perhaps, but not enough 'meat'. For me at least. I got both endings as well, the 'main' or 'basic' one was my favorite of the two, the 'secret' or 'true(?)' ending was alright, it just didn't feel worth all the work of the game versus the 'main' ending. Neither were bad though. One bit of bias I must mention as well is my complete and total burnout on all things 'horror'. I grew up watching tons of horror movies, read dozens of horror books, and watched hundreds of hours of horror game playthroughs on Youtube... (and movie reviews, how to beats, kill counts, etc) I'll suffice it to say that I am so completely uninterested in horror these days that my review of those aspects of DREDGE are almost certainly not what an average person might feel about the game, so take my review on those aspects with a huge grain of salt. Overall, I'd give DREDGE an easy 7.5/10. Great boating and fishing game, exactly what I was looking for. 👍

Last edited:
    Years
  • Finished Silent Hill: Homecoming. It was okay. Not as good as the original trilogy, but I expected it to be much worse. Only two more main Silent Hill games remaining for me to beat. I have a bad feeling about them. I'll post about Homecoming in my journal soon for anyone, who would be interested.

Panda280

Panda280
    Years
  • Finished Metroid Fusion. I did it only 1 enegy tank and 100 missile tanks. It was not as scary as when I first played it. Fighting Yakuza was the most difficult part. After that fight, the warsp enemies kill you in one hit (99HP). This part got me scared as they often swopped across the screen, and I accidentally got hit by them just because I was moving to the next location.

Years
  • I do not have time to get through Omori before the end of the month. Going to try and blitz through Detention tomorrow instead.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I really didn't think I'd make it but just finished Danganronpa. I was surprised by how much I remembered but also how much I didn't remember, if that makes sense. I remember almost nothing of the second one so hopefully I can get to that sometime soon too.

Years
  • November - Golden Oldies

Now that we've done a month on horror, it's time to take things a step further and deal with the existential dread that comes with the passage of time. Let's look back to the past to see where things started and how far gaming has come. What still holds up? What doesn't? There's only one way to find out.

This month the theme is retro games. I'll let you decide exactly what constitutes retro, but we're talking early 2000s at least. Have fun!

Years
  • I have multiple choices that I'm considering. I'm considering some oldschool P&C adventure from the 90's. I also recently got some of my old PS1 games, so I might replay some of them. Or I could finally make a use of my Nintendo Switch subscription and play something from their library. There are some many choices to pick from. But I think I'll end up playing The Secret of Monkey Island.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'm gonna play Final Fantasy V. :) It's the gba version which came out in 2006 but hopefully that's still fine.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • This is a tough category for me, not from a lack of games perspective, but from a 'I can beat most of the classical games in my library in 3 days at most' perspective. I've ran them all so much that anything I choose won't last me all that long... I honestly wish I could take on multiple games for my challenge this month lol. I'll update this post later with my final decision.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Selects Earthbound. Released in 1995 in North America. Has not replayed it in...a year or two? Delayed due to no good challenge restriction in mind. Still needs to decide that.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • It's been a while since I posted in here, so just to make sure that it gets noticed, I decided to just make a new one. I've chosen to play Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (N64 version). It's my favorite game on the N64, (shocking, I know) so I like to play through it again at least once a year. I'll be going for an 'all treasures' run as well, (closest thing in that game to a 100% system) so I'm not skimping on the gameplay. Oh, I should also mention that the original PC version was released in 1999, but the port I'm playing was released at the end of the year 2000. I'd hope that's retro enough for the challenge.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Completed Earthbound. Cannot measure up to the old days. Never expected it to. Cannot replicate the outside circumstances that made it particularly special. Felt nice to play once again, regardless. Will almost certainly replay it in the future too.

Also figured out a good set of restrictions. Thought it might be too easy, going in. Wound up being a good difficulty. Wrote about it in a game journal entry.

Panda280

Panda280
    Years
  • Finished Pokemon Crystal. At first look, I thought the game looks ugly. It is not vibrant as Pokemon emerald, plus it does not have other improvements (nature, movepool) that emerald have. I have to say what everyone said to my favorite game, Pokemon Emerald is a bit of a downgrade from pokemon crystal. There is no day and night system, the sprite looks good, but it does not have a lot of personalities. I can't believe Crystal is better than Emerald. I wish I had not played it. Now, I can see Emerald mistake everywhere.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Speaking of short deadlines, I'll definitely finish Indiana Jones before the end of the month, but I probably won't be able to get it done before the site migration, in which case I'll @ you on Discord when I finish it so I can get credit in the event the migration takes longer than the end of the month.
    (I should've picked Sands Of Destruction lol)

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I don't normally do this challenge since I don't like worrying about deadlines, but I coincidentally started Kirby's Dream Land 3 early this month and completed it yesterday. It's not the best Kirby game, and I used a guide to get all the Heart Stars since it's frustrating to not be able to backtrack in levels and many of them require you to know you need a specific ability, but I still had fun with it.

Back