• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists

Years
  • Maybe they could include both the Ruby/Sapphire outfits and the Emerald outfit to start out from, and then change it as you journey through Hoenn. I think they shouldn't make changing Brendan's hat an option, though. :]

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    The protagonists have been revealed to the fullest as of CoroCoro!

Spoiler:

What are your thoughts? Do you like how they look? Any changes you'd make? Any changes you don't like?

Discuss!

Personally I adore their new designs completely. They're amazing! I love how they also made it way more obvious with Brendan's sideburns that he's wearing a hat. When I was younger (and until a couple years ago), I was convinced Brendan had white hair. Took me until reading the manga to realize that he's wearing a white hat. XD;

Also May's little hair ribbon is so cute ohmygod. ;v;

Years
  • I knew Brendan's "white hair" was always a hat, but I'll stick to the main topic.

The wetsuit design for Brendan's clothing here is weird and unexpected, but I guess it's cos I was so used to the long pants he wore in his original design. It'll grow on me eventually but I feel like it reminds me of Nate's design a lot right now.

I really love what they did to May, she looks even cuter and might now be my fave protagonist redesign ever, even more than her Emerald design. Having her bandanna in the shape of a bow was something I didn't expect, but hey she still looks like a true badass adorable now.

The new clothing really does fit in with Hoenn being a tropical region, sorta like when compared to how Lucas and Dawn's clothing in Platinum was well in tune with Sinnoh's cold climate.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I knew Brendan's "white hair" was always a hat, but I'll stick to the main topic.

The wetsuit design for Brendan's clothing here is weird and unexpected, but I guess it's cos I was so used to the long pants he wore in his original design. It'll grow on me eventually but I feel like it reminds me of Nate's design a lot right now.

I really love what they did to May, she looks even cuter and might now be my fave protagonist redesign ever, even more than her Emerald design. Having her bandanna in the shape of a bow was something I didn't expect, but hey she still looks like a true badass adorable now.

The new clothing really does fit in with Hoenn being a tropical region, sorta like when compared to how Lucas and Dawn's clothing in Platinum was well in tune with Sinnoh's cold climate.

His wetsuit reminds me of the clothes he had over the longer pants in Emerald. Nate's design reminded me a bit of Brendan's so it's not surprising that they look similar.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The protagonists have been revealed to the fullest as of CoroCoro!

Spoiler:

Anyway, this confirms that May and Brendan are the protags. They don't really look different to me, other than Brendan seeming to have a slight tan and May's bandanna is now a ribbon. The in-game screenshots crammed into the page look nice though. Looks a little more polished than X/Y's graphics. I think.

But what I really wanna know is if we can customize their clothes and such.

Years
  • I hope that they'll be customization. I noticed that Brendan looks lighter in the game compared to his artwork. Could it be a sign of customization or simply the lighting of the game?

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I hope that they'll be customization. I noticed that Brendan looks lighter in the game compared to his artwork. Could it be a sign of customization or simply the lighting of the game?

Nah, it's simply the lighting. The reason I say that is because they used the base colors both in artwork and in-game for the protagonists in X&Y.

I don't think, if there is customization, that they'll show it so soon. They waited quite a long time before telling us that we could change our skin color in X&Y, let alone change everything else. So I doubt there'd be any display of personalized changes to the default protagonists just yet. They'll wait before telling us that if it exists.

Suspense, etc.

Years
  • Nah, it's simply the lighting. The reason I say that is because they used the base colors both in artwork and in-game for the protagonists in X&Y.

I don't think, if there is customization, that they'll show it so soon. They waited quite a long time before telling us that we could change our skin color in X&Y, let alone change everything else. So I doubt there'd be any display of personalized changes to the default protagonists just yet. They'll wait before telling us that if it exists.

Suspense, etc.

I was thinking that it could've been how in some scene of the early XY trailer the player had sunglasses, but in other scenes he didn't which hinted at customization, but you're probably right on the lighting.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm glad they're making it more obvious now that Brendan's hat is not his hair, but I'm fairly neutral towards the new designs. I actually wasn't a huge fan of the originals, either (they were good, but not my favorites), but something about these new ones seem...off, somehow. They seem too skinny, and as someone pointed out May does look a bit like Serena now, which I'm not a huge fan of. If customization indeed returns, this won't be a huge issue, and sometimes characters don't look as appealing because of the pose they're in--so maybe it's just the way they're drawn that makes them seem odd to me.

Years
  • No, No, no, no.....What have they.... The only thing recognizable on the picture is May's face and hair... but the newly excessively forced-cutsy look trending from X/Y with the bowl-legged girls and the miss-match dress-up fashion sense... It just seems to just oppress the quality of the original designs heavily. I don't know what to say but I am very disappointed. They don't even look like they're even from pokemon. The only solution I'd take for this would be the accessibility of their original clothing or customization at the least. At this state they don't even look like they're from Pokemon anymore.

Why is Brendan Cross-eyed? Gahhh...

Last edited:

Years
  • I'm glad they're making it more obvious now that Brendan's hat is not his hair, but I'm fairly neutral towards the new designs. I actually wasn't a huge fan of the originals, either (they were good, but not my favorites), but something about these new ones seem...off, somehow. They seem too skinny, and as someone pointed out May does look a bit like Serena now, which I'm not a huge fan of. If customization indeed returns, this won't be a huge issue, and sometimes characters don't look as appealing because of the pose they're in--so maybe it's just the way they're drawn that makes them seem odd to me.

She reminds me more of Hilda and Rosa than Serena.

Yeah, Brendan's cross eyed in the artwork. Thankfully he's not in the games if you look at the screenshot with their faces.

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • Look at their eye color.
    Now look at the eye color for the center (or "default") designs of Calem and Serena.

I fully expect multiple starting options in this game: light-skinned, blonde, and blue-eyed; "default;" and medium-skinned, black-haired, and brown-eyed.

Years
  • The small changes they made look nice; May's bandana looks much better as a ribbon. Glad that they both kept their status as protagonists of Hoenn, unlike Kris. I think the most important revelation from this leak is that Brendan's hat returns. :] The most pressing question with them right now, at least for me, is if we'll be able to customize their clothing. I feel like since they're bringing Mega evolutions to Hoenn even though there were signs that it would be region-exclusive makes character customization even more plausible.

Years
  • Look at their eye color.
    Now look at the eye color for the center (or "default") designs of Calem and Serena.

I fully expect multiple starting options in this game: light-skinned, blonde, and blue-eyed; "default;" and medium-skinned, black-haired, and brown-eyed.

I think so too for the same reason, the eyes. Especially seeing how their eyes were Brown in the originals which were no where close to the shade of Grey they have now.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • It could be the lighting, but Brendan's skin color definitely looks darker, or at least a different tone than May's. It could be a hint at skin customization, or it could be a redesign in order to include a non-super-white protagonist in game.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
    Years
  • I like them. They look like a combination of their RS and E designs with a few modifications. The only thing I would change would be to give May some sleeves and a collar and to give them back their original eye colors (Blue/Green for May depending on the version and black for Brendan).

Now I'm certain customization won't be in these games. When we got the reveal of Calem and Serena in Corocoro they showed us that you could choose their skintone and hair color but this reveal lacks that so I think these designs are permanent. Which is cool with me since I didn't want customization as I've mentioned before.

Back