• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
    Today I learned that roses with the double variety with the huge, full and downy petals, straight out of a fairytale are not ideal for nature's pollinators, despite being beautiful. These flowers were cultivated to have lots of inner petals and a much smaller stamen at the base that many insects struggle to find and can't pollenate, or have developed no stamen altogether, thus no pollen. Knowing that the next flowers we plant in this household will be single bloom with an open-style. I'm looking into some Sunset Horizon rose bushes next.

Years
    • Seen today
    I looked at my post count and learned I'm closing in on the number I had on the old forum I used, which was around 7,000. The real number would total to 11,000, but I was only a child and got myself banned on one of the accounts and had to open a new one. A kind admin over there gave me permission to start over, as long as I could show maturity. I was 13 years old at the time.

But it's quite something considering I've only had this account 3 years. Still a ways to go, but getting there for sure.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned that Cianwood City is not actually based of the Kansai region, where Johto is said to be based off of, but a different region in Japan. This is an interesting fact I did not know about until today. very interesting.

I also learned this yesterday, but felt it was worth mention. Flash memory only lasts 5 to 15 years, which is alarming, tbh.

Years
    • Seen today
    The shiny hunter club has 800 pages and 1 million views. I think it's incredible. I'm glad so many people have enjoyed it.

But it was also made in 2004. So it makes me wonder if it's what inspired the club house section, or if the section existed at some prior point in time and made a return.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned that my dad thinks he knows more about collecting Pokémon cards than I do. (¬д¬。)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Today I learned that Kentaro Miura passed away. Not only did we lose a really great mangaka, but this also means that Berserk will never see the ending it deserved. <_<

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Well, actually this was yesterday but I learnt how to fold a paper crane. The first one took about two hours and involved a complete redo. As a result yesterday I only managed to make four. Now I'm up to 25.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned there were two episodes in Murphy Brown about gay men. One in which involved one of their coworkers being gay, and another one two years later about a gay bar. I also learned that people in the 90s would risk losing their job if they came out which is absolute ludicrous bullshit, you ask me.

In other words, today I learned a lot of the sitcoms my parents used to watch on tv were gayer than I remember. lol cool, honestly didn't know lgbt stuff was in 90s American tv shows since I assumed that stuff was not a thing because you know the 90s gave us kissing cousins in Sailor Moon.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Game Boy was the name of a Japanese videogame magazine. A Nintendo employee saw it and suggested it as the name for a console they were developing, which was until then known as the Dot Matrix Game (which is why Game Boys have "DMG-001" as their serial code). The company approved it and the magazine saw it as a good way to get free publicity, so they allowed Nintendo to use it in exchange for ads on every issue.

Years
    • Seen today
    I thought playing two songs at the same time in two different tabs would mean two times the catchiness.

I learned it just confused my ears.

Years
    Today I learned that outside of the Americas corn has not always referred to the crop maize that was domesticated in Mexico thousands of years ago.

Corn has had a more broad meaning throughout world history. Lots of grain foods were called corn like oats, wheat, barley, rather one specific crop.

The only corn I ever knew up until now was the sweet yellow, white and red corn that has lots of kernels, grows inside of big tall stalks in pastoral fields, and is roasted, creamed, put in soups, and used to make popcorn, corn flakes, chips, tortillas, cakes, syrups, oils, grits cornbread and more. Still I realized there had to be a bigger world of corn out there though while I was pouring through a history book this afternoon. I read something that was said in reference to the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius. The quote was, "There was then a crop of growing corn; there is now a ripe, gathered harvest."

I realized that it was a nice metaphor for when students grow up and reach their full potential, but I knew the Romans should not had access to the food seen below.

Today I learned...

So I did a little research and said, "Oh!"

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    There's a difference between saying "a person with autism" and "autistic person". The former makes it sound as if autism is some sort of sickness which feeds into the ideology of certain people that it can be "cured" while the latter makes it clear that autism is part of that person. So if you want to be respectful use the latter.

Back