• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Today I learned...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Today I learned that there may be a drug out there that helps suppress trauma and panic attacks that's not addictive!! (。'▽'。)♡

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I've learnt, yet again, that no matter how hard I try, improving my art skill is so incredibly crawlingly slow. Spend some hours, threw it all away multiple times and ended up with nothing at the end. Why have I such a hard time even years in? <_<

On another note: I've learnt that there are way too many different standards for how sizes of jeans and the likes are measured.

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
    I learned that apparently the entire world does NOT agree on how many continents there are. Many countries believe there are 7 while many claim there are only 5... I didn't realize this was a debate that would even exist by 2021.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Today I learnt that the Red Bull company doesn't produce anything. Its only business model is promoting and marketing a drink that some different company produces and sells with that brand in exchange for a big fee.

I learned that apparently the entire world does NOT agree on how many continents there are. Many countries believe there are 7 while many claim there are only 5... I didn't realize this was a debate that would even exist by 2021.

I've seen anywhere from 5 to 8. I was personally taught about 6 at school (Europe, Asia, America, Oceania, Africa, Antartica). The key is whether you consider there is one America or several parts, and whether you merge Oceania and Asia into Australasia. I guess some people could also consider Eurasia a thing but I haven't heard that quite as often as there seems to be a pretty clear split between the two.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    That flowerchild is a goddess amongst men and I am forever in her debt. (。・д・)ノ゙

Years
    Today I learned a bit about Empress Wu Zeitan, who was China's first and only female emperor, not just an empress.She was a monarch in her own right who had a long and successful reign, living to be 80.

The good--

*She was clever, extremely well-eduated, powerful and visionary. She elevated Buddhism and built magnificent pagodas, patronized scholars, wrote poetry, refined the writing system, recast relics and commissioned beautiful statues and works of art. She left China a richer more Cosmopolitan place, expanded trade with the middle East, the capital was full of commerce and luxuries, she received diplomats from all around the world at court, developed grainaries that could store rice for 10 years to make sure the people didn't starve, allowed people from poor backgrounds to serve in government based on merit and also provided opportunuty for representation of regions of country that were typically undepresented, women in general enjoyed greater freedom under her rule and could do things and receive honors and rights that only men previously did. She was undoubtedly an effective ruler, and she would not be oppressed by the conventions of the time.

*The bad and the ugly- if she got any rumor of intrigue you were exiled or executed, with pretty much no chance to defend yourself. She was absolutely ruthless about holding onto power, and had a secret police force. Some very unreputable heads of police rose through the ranks, and often exploited the Empress' suspicious nature by torturing false confessions out of the innocent to get favor. She was cutthroat with her family, forcing at least one of her sons, who had previously planned a rebellion, to commit suicide, and she is thought to have poisoned several relatives that got in her way as empress consort, including her niece when she attracted her husband the emperor's favor. They say Wu framed some extended family for the deed, and when her niece's son grew suspicious and started asking questions, she got him executed too. She also is suspected of having posioned another son of hers who was challenging her on policy. When her baby died, she accused the empress that came before her of killing it + witchcraft and she and another concubine were killed for this, and Wu took the empress' place.

Did she do more good or bad in the entirety of her life? That's a subject that is up for debate in the scholarly community. What she definitely was though was interesting to read about.

Last edited:
    Years
    Today I learned the name Albina Mali Hocevar, a Slovenian woman who lived during WWII, and joined a resistance movement against the Nazis when she was only 16. She suffered many injuries during the war as she served in Yugoslavia's National Liberation Army to end the occupation of her country. Around her 18th birthday her face was permanently disfigured in an explosion from a landmine. She continued to serve in the war efforts regardless, and also worked as a nurse to help others. She survived the war and received multiple awards for her courage, notably the Order of the People's Hero.

There is a picture of her, and a photographic reconstruction also of what she may have looked like before she was wounded.

Today I learned...

I know of some awesome women who fought the Nazis before like the student Sophie Scholl (along with her brother Hans) who founded the White Rose organization, Antonina Zabinski and her husband Jan that the movie the Zookeeper's wife was based on, and Josephine Baker who hid refugees in her home, and used her mobility as an entertainer to spy on the Nazis, and pass information to the allies.

I didn't know of this courageous woman's story though before today, so I am happy to discover another heroine.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Today I learned about the aztech mythology of Black Sun and that butterfly imagery is used to explain the transendance of a soul.

(I was wondering about the butterfly symbolism while watching Bleach)

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Today I learned video editing!
    I have to do a video for a scientific popularization contest (kind of like "My Thesis In 3 Minutes") and I learned today how.
    New skills to add to the Kabutops: mathematics, programming, editing, cutting people into dice, and surviving at least three mass extinctions.

Years
    • Seen today
    There's a real life torture house call the McKamey Manor. You receive 6-8 hours of beatings, waterboarding, teeth pulling without any sedative, being buried alive, etc. When you sign the wavier to get in there, you have no safe word, they laugh in your face. Been digging a bit, and it's also sold and streamed over the dark web. (and edited portions are posted on youtube). It's disturbing, but this entire thing is legal simply because they made a waiver.

Looking at the owner also makes me feel "off". Like a weird feeling in my gut. He's the tall man in the overalls.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    The scientific name of a Woolly Mammoth is called "Mammuthus Primigenius".

Spoiler:

So cool looking

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Bergamot is not actually that lumpy green lime that pops up whenever you google it. It's actually a small yellow fruit.

Back