• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Type: Null?

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    This Normal-Type Pokemon has the ability Battle Armor, which prevents critical hits. It was created to be able to take on mythical Pokemon by mixing the strengths of various Pokemon. It's also pretty big, at 6'03". It weighs 265.7 lbs and is the Synthetic Pokemon.

It's theme seems to be that it is a mixture of all types, and therefore has 'no type', hence the name. The Normal-Type represents this by being a neutral typing which doesn't really favour any element, strength or weakness (thematically speaking, at least).

So will this theme mean anything? Will this Pokemon play an important role in the game? Will it have a special move which can vary in type? Could an item change it's type, maybe? Just wild speculation, of course, but this Pokemon intrigues me.

Type: Null?

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    I LOVE THIS I LOVE THIS I LOVE THIS.

I feel like the concept of this being an artificial Chimera could tie in further with the Alchemy theme that's been going on in Sun and Moon so far. Couple it with the fact that it was made to rival Mythical pokemon (essentially gods?).

Another thing I'm wondering is if the different parts of Pokemon we can see making up Type: Null are from actual existing Pokemon, or not. o:

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    A chimera pokemon! I really like the design; it's giving me 'futuristic Frankenstein'. If I'd to compare it, I hazard to suggest it may have some relevance with the Zygarde formes, especially the canine form.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2019
    I wish it had a better name. I really like the Pokemon and I think the concept is truly amazing but wtf is up with that dumb ass name

I think it's a pretty cool name actually. I guess it's like a code name since it's a synthetic pokemon.

The ever more credible leaks mentioned a pokemon that changes type through breeding iirc. Seems like it could have been referring to type: null.

It's helmet reminds of arceus. The official site mentions it was created to defeat powerful threats (ultra beasts?). I wonder if we'll get to see it's full power at some point with the helmet off.

Also I wonder if it's body parts were taken from real pokemon. I can't pin it's legs or tail to any pokemon off the top of my head but maybe there'll be some gen 7 pokemon with those features.

EDIT:
    Another thing I'm wondering is if the different parts of Pokemon we can see making up Type: Null are from actual existing Pokemon, or not. o:

You posted this after I started mine. Interesting that you thought the same thing!

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    The mask fitted to Type: Null's head is a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It's extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null's agility. To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology.

This part makes me think it'll be important in the climax. Maybe whoever awakens Solgaleo/Lunaala will use Type:Null in an attempt control them, or something to that effect.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    The Skull guy revealed today has one, as confirmed by the Japanese video. Thus, important.

Also it uses Absol's exact animations. Keep this in mind. It might be important.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Type: Null could be the rumored Pokémon that gains a new secondary typing via breeding. The rumor also said it's a cat, and this Pokémon does have some aesthetics of a cat.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    It's name is terrible... but I love the concept. It really looks like a Pokemon that could be made by Victor Frankenstein or be the companion of Frankstein's monster.

Maybe it is somehow tied to the Aether Foundation and their plans?

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    Really cool concept, and I don't have a problem with the name or design. It's clearly an amalgamation of other Pokemon stitched together, Frankenstein-style; it's tail kinda' looks like a sideways gyarados tail. Perhaps it was made by Aether? Seems like their kind of schtick.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Very conflicted on this guy! I like the concept a lot and I think he looks pretty wonderful but the name is just so ugh. The lore behind this guy is quite cool (at least the brief amount that we know so far) and in general I'm anxious to find out just how important he is to the story - will he be a one-off Pokémon which you perhaps 'rescue' from the evil team or will there be more than one of this guy in the region? In general I feel like Type: Null has a lot left to be revealed about him so I'm looking forward to seeing his mechanics and how the Pokémon works.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    About the name:
    Other artificial Pokémon were created to be just that: Pokémon. It makes sense, then, to give them Pokémon-style names.
    Type: Null, however, seems to have been created as a weapon to be used against Pokémon, specifically mythical Pokémon. So no need for a regular Pokémon name.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    That thing looks like it was ripped right out of a Final Fantasy game and I just love it. Even the name sounds like that of a FF boss monster! I'm quite curious if there's more synthetic Pokemon like this one out there designed for different tasks.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
    "Type: Null" was a poor choice because many people will be confused about this meaning the introduction of a new elemental type. When you say this Pokemon's name, it sounds like you are describing a Pokemon Type. Basically, the Pokemon Company is mixing their own terminology, which is never a good idea with your own brand.

In other languages, it's called something like Type: Zero, implying that "null" refers LESS to elemental typing and more to something like NaN, Not a Number. In my theory, anyway.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Easily my favorite reveal from the trailer. Just by looking at it you can see it's an amalgam of just about every type. It could have been intended to be every type and then something went wrong, so it was labeled a mistake, Definitely looks like an abomination (in good way of course.)

Back