• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Was Whitney hard to beat for you?

Years
  • Honestly, not too much. If using Bayleef I'd just PoisonPowder and chip away with Razor Leaf, and if using one of the others, I'd just brute-force it and sack off some of my lesser Pokémon if Rollout got too strong.

I did love how Whitney didn't actually give you the badge upon defeating her though, it was a simple but clever trick to catch us off guard. In RBY, once you beat the Leader, you had the badge, end of story. Whereas Whitney cries, you check your Trainer card and.. sure enough, no badge. Your only option is to leave, where the Lass tells you that 'Whitney always cries when she loses.. she'll stop eventually.' Super funny back in the day.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • yes :( HGSS is even worse because of abilities since I always get one of my teammates infatuated! the only time she was a breeze was when I caught a male nidoran, waited for mum to send me a moonstone and ran straight at her with a whole nidoking! that was the first Silver nuzlocke where I lost absolutely nobody.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I usually use status effects to beat Miltank, and occasionally I lose my first fight to Whitney because of bad RNG, but I've always beaten her on my second try at worst. I've found her to be on the harder side of the gym leaders in the series, but nowhere near the hardest. Not even the hardest in her own region, even, since Morty and Clair are both tougher.

Years
    • Seen today
    As a kid, yeah, she was tough.

These days no. It's pretty easy to cripple the miltank with status and even sand attack. Of course luck can go wrong and that will still make it tough.

Years
  • I haven't played GSC extensively but I find her HGSS incarnation pretty difficult. She's not the hardest battle by a long shot, but I usually have to strategize carefully to avoid getting caught in a rollout trap while not being able to move due to infatuation.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    When I was a kid I probbaly had some problems with her. But she never really stuck out to me for being so difficult. I think gen 1 Misty was always more of a problem to me than her.

Years
  • I don't recall having any problems with beating her, but my first interaction with Johto was HGSS.
    I definitely didn't have any problems at all with her in the Crystal VC much later though.

Back