• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"We're on each other's team."

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Couldn't help but make the Lorde reference there. lol.

How good are you with being in a team or group? Do participate/ contribute as much as you can? Or do you just stay in the sidelines and just watch/listen to other members of the group?

Sirfetch’d

Depends really! I usually work better solo or with just one teammate/partner. I've always had bad experiences working with groups as there are just too many differing opinions on how to do the said task. That said, it could just be that I have always been around difficult people haha.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Depends. I tend to be someone who likes to have a fairly big say in things; I can fit well with other people who are also keen on having a big say, and on the other hand uh, I can end up clashing badly, haha. Depends who I'm put with I guess! It's kinda better for me to work with people that don't quite ENABLE me to just call every shot I like though; people that question things are good. <3

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
    Group works are possibly the things I hate the most of all things I have to do in school...

Every time the teacher says: "Okay, now go and find yourself together in groups please" I get a shiver sent down my spine...
    And if I got the bad luck of working in a group rather than working alone (what I'd really prefer), I mostly just am the one who gets told to do things and just does these things without further questions, ergo I'm pretty much passive all the time :/

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I can work in groups, and I'll try my best, but I often get handed the short end of the stick.

We were working together for a presentation my senior year, and there's five parts to this presentation. There's five of us, so it works out perfectly. The next day, it turns out that one of the group member's best friend was absent, so he joins our group, instead of joining a group of four. The new guy gets handed my part of the presentation and I'm told to make something up for the presentation that is now about five minutes away. I fought and argued about it, but my entire group had turned against me. I ended up improvising my section, which didn't turn out too bad.

I definitely work better alone so I don't have stuff like that happen to me.

Years
    Quite frankly, except for very special circumstances, I pretty much hate group work. It was the bane of my existence in school and group assignments are even worse with uni since I study from home. I'm not really a team player, I have my own way of doing things and I don't like other people getting in the way of that - especially if that's because they're being lazy or shirking responsibilities. Perhaps it's not the best way to be, I could certainly be more flexible, but that's just me.

When I am unfortunate enough to have to work with a group or a team, I put the fullest of my effort in but I tend to prefer to be in control of the situation.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Like most everyone else, I really don't like group work. Especially if I'm in a group with people I don't know. But when I'm in a group with people I do know, one of two things happens- I either take charge and do a ton of the work, or I let everyone else do things and give minor critique and assistance. So it was always kind of hit-or-miss for my friends haha.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I'm with a lot of people, I'm better at working solo than working in a group. My Oral Communications professor always makes do group work. There hasn't been a class we we're not doing some sort of small group thing honestly. It honestly makes me think she's just doesn't want to teach much, though at least we don't have to constantly hear lectures. Since it's a communication's class, I figure she likes it when we communicate with the group so I try to interact whenever I can. But honestly I have such a hard time talking and coming up with have to say. I've sometimes said something and be shaky saying it or get red after saying it. I just want to do things on my own most of the time. >_> Usually I let others be the leader cause of that and just listen and do what others say.

Last edited:

Sneakyarrow

Pokemon Breader
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2014
    I prefer sort of a "decentralized" group. It has to have a solid leader, if I have questions, but I like working with myself. I don't mind working with a lot of people if I don't have to do it for a long time.

Years
    To be perfectly honest, I absolutely dread working in groups and especially group projects in school. I cannot trust other people to do their work and submit a decent portion. Though I would say I work well within groups because I'm passive and not someone who creates unnecessary conflict for the group dynamic. I'm willing to work in groups if it's absolutely necessary, but if there's an option where I can work completely alone then that would be my priority.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I do work better alone but I can work in groups if need be. When I'm alone I'm a lot more self-driven but in a group situation I kind of sit back and let someone else take the lead, so I'm a lot faster by myself.

Years
    I work much better alone than in a group. It's mainly due to me having social issues and because I was horrendously bullied when I was in school. However, it does mean the situation is carried out slower than when you're in a group.

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    The majority of my experience working with groups is probably from team games, and honestly that isn't saying much when you play quite a few games where everyone on the team is just trying to be the top player rather than doing actual teamwork.

As far as doing it, I don't mind playing on teams. I'm fine filling a more supportive or defensive role if need be, though I can be aggressive as well. Probably the biggest issue that arises is when my allies have an expectation that is the complete opposite of what I'm doing. I tend to not be so good in mixed roles, so it's one way or the other.

Shhmew

Years
    Blahh, nooo, I don't like group work ;___; Soo many awful experiences in high school, and it really doesn't help that I'm shy. This is pretty much what always happens:

-I join a group.
    -Everyone else talks to each other; I am ignored and too shy to speak up.
    -They come up with their own plan and tell me what to do.
    -I agree because arguing with them is seriously the last thing I want to do.
    -We do it.

I hate that I'm so shy, because I often do have strong opinions for or against what my group is doing, I just don't want to express them because I find it better to just sit quiet and do what they say to avoid complications. In the rare occasion that they actually ask for my input (I swear this has only happened like once or twice total), I might share an opinion, but something very safe so I don't get dirty looks and they can keep on doing what they're doing.

In high school, I had a huge project to do and we got to choose our partners so well, me being shy I just paired up with my only friend. This was a huge mistake because well, it kinda just fell on me to do all the work, which ended up in me getting really overwhelmed and I had a bit of a breakdown, causing the project to not get done in time and my friend actually cried in class, saying that I "wasn't doing my part" and ultimately getting everyone to hate me. Then later her other friend said she would have liked to be in a group with her, to which my friend responded "No way, I don't want to be stuck doing all the work!"

So yeah, just let me work alone, please. ; - ; I hate relying on other people. I wish I didn't, but I do... I'd just really rather take responsibility for exactly what I did or didn't do, and not have to deal with either taking all the work because everyone else is lazy or being too shy to do anything at all. It's just skewed. bleh.

Years
    It really depends on who I work with and what my tasks are. Most of the time when I work in a group, the tasks are done out-of-order just so we all get things finished more quickly, such as in my chemistry lab course. However, most of the time, when I'm just with a partner, we do things entirely cooperatively.

Back