• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
  • I've downloading some audiobooks to listen to while at work. I start The Hobbit tomorrow (which I've actually read before). This weekend I went through Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    I'm sure everyone here has heard about or seen the movie, "It's Kind Of A Funny Story"; well it was adapted from a book written by Ned Vizzini. Currently reading the book with the same title, and I must say it's one of the most..interesting books I've read.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Crippled God, by Steven Erikson.

...wow. What can I say. The entire series has been building up to a convergence of events, but now that its finally happening, its gone above and beyond everything that I expected and, Erikson being Erikson, he's totally twisted my perception of various characters. I get the feeling there are inevitably going to be some unresolved storylines, but this is one thing I love about this series: it throws you right into the world. Things have been building up to this point hundreds of thousands of years before the first novel is set, and Erikson somehow manages to involve even these events in the current plot, even with a complete explanation of precisely what happened back then. He has an incredible writing style that spits in the face of generic fantasy: there is no main character, not even the gods are immune to being killed off at any time, and the books overlap considerably. I don't think I have ever read such a complex and interesting series of fantasy novels...nothing even comes close to this. I may even re-read them from start to finish once I finish the last book, there is so much foreshadowing, and many of the characters are forged by the events that came in the previous books. Although seeing as how its taken me almost a year to read the books from start to finish, I might take a break first. xD

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Just finished reading Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks (as Ian Fleming).
    Didn't like it too much.

It's a James Bond crime novel, by da way.

Years
  • In preparation for the upcoming Harry Potter film, I've gone back to re-read the 7th book, The Deathly Hallows, as well as excerpts from my surviving 4 Potter books. (Books 4,5,6,7)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Just finished I Am What I Am, John Barrowman's second book, put into words by his sister Carole. It's more of a memoir than anything, but it's funny, gossipy, honest, and wonderful. He intended the thing to read as if you were sitting down and taking to him at his house, sharing a drink and some chocolates, and it really does read like that. It's very fun and I could read it again any time.

what is this 3000 postcount nonsense

Last edited:
    Years
  • I just finished with Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter, and am currently starting Dearly Devoted Dexter. I plan on finishing this series soon.
    I also just finished an incredible book called Black Out by Lisa Unger. It's easily one of my favorite books now. It really messed with my mind and kept me guessing. Check it out.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad was quite good. I can certainly understand why it won the Pulitzer, and even the chapter in the form of a PowerPoint presentation made sense when reading it.

Now I've moved on to its competition for last year's literary prizes: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. I'm only 10 pages in, and there's already talk of 14-year-olds having sex. Sounds like a good book to me so far!

Asrossk

The Incompetent
    Years
  • I'm doing a ridiculous metaphorical juggling act between Stephen King's "The Stand" and "Full Dark, No Stars". Alongside those two is the first Discworld book "The Colour Of Magic". The two Stephen King books are great for a horror nut such as myself, and are nicely balanced by some good old humorous Pratchett.

Needless to say, it's a bit crazy.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Juggling between Japanses Schoolgirl Confidential and The Motel in America, two nonfiction books that cover two of my major interests - otaku culture and the US lodging industry.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm reading a collection of all of the short stories by Edgar Allan Poe. Quite varied, but overall it's enjoyable. I started reading simply because of Poe's noted influence on Lovecraft, although I would have to say at this point I still prefer Lovecraft's works overall.

So far my favourites are "Bon-Bon" (loved this one), "Morella", "Berenice" and "The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall".

Last edited:
    Years
  • I finished reading Dark Lord of Derkholm the other day and just picked up the sequel, Year of the Griffin, both by Diana Wynn Jones (who also wrote Howl's Moving Castle which is where I first heard of her). I'm still sad that she died recently and I guess I'm feeling the need to read her other books in her memory, or something. It was a good book and the sequel seems to be as good so far.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    The Hunt For Red October, I have to read it for my english class this fall along with 7 other books so I wanted to get a head start and at least finish 1 or 2 of them so I can have a little free time during the school year :P I'm excited for the class though: spy fiction.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
  • Stephen King's It. I've been trying to finish it, but life kept getting in the way, so I have to keep restarting to remember what's going on. I really want to finish it this time, since the parts I've read are good imo.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Currently, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I'm on Chapter 9, Page 162. I'm hoping I finish it by Thursday morning (if my plan goes according to schedule that is) so I can move onto the fourth book.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Went out and bought three books today, even though I only wanted one: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré and A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.

Probs going to read GoT first, as I'd like to get into the TV series eventually, and probably won't read the book if I've already seen the show, to be honest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back