• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen What are your thoughts on gen 7?

bent1l

currently playing: PokeMMO, Pokemon Unbound
Days
  • i remember playing moon and feeling sour. my biggest problem with it was how similar it felt to everything that came before it. i told my friend "it's a fine pokemon game, but pokemon needs to change to stay interesting".
    i didn't know. i'm sorry, gen 7. you were amazing. i miss all the nebby and lillie fanart.

Years
  • I really like Gen VII. Three games are flawed and I think they accelerate the downfall of Pokémon games that followed up with SwSh and SV, but there is something magical about the world of Alola. I really enjoy the tropical adventure.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I recently played through most of Sun and through all the main story of Ultra Sun, and honestly? I kinda hated them. They are easily the worst Gen of Games for me storywise, the Z-move gimmick was 'fine', the music was 'there', the outfit selection sucked, disliked most of the characters (especially Lillie), hated how totally 'paint by the numbers' linear the progression was, absolutely hated the 'I'm gonna prolong the fight forever by constantly calling more help!' mechanic, the Poke-Pelago thing was pretty neat, missed Pokepuffs over the beans though, they completely ruined P2P connectivity (at least when compared to GEN 6, I mean really! How do you completely and totally botch something you literally just got right!? ffs... *shakes head*), The one good thing I can say about it is there are at least plenty of really nice Pokemon added with the games. That's literally it lol.

Days
  • Sub par story and sections of the gamez I hate the hand holdy unskippable tutorials and the small region. Gen 7 were games I didn't like too much when I played, but I feel like I'd enjoy them alot more if I go back to them for a replay.

Years
  • Unfortunately Gen 7 is my least favorite, and really the only gen I never have an interest in replaying. I know this has been said 1000 times, but its true that the cutscenes are just too much. Also thought USUM weren't necessary and messed up some things SM had going for it such as Lusamine's character. Other than that though - I appreciate them switching up the formula and adding trials over gyms as well as regional variants.

But yeah.. whenever I'm like 'oh maybe i'll replay SM' I just can't be bothered since the cutscenes drag it on so much :/

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • I don't like how Z animations cannot be skipped. Major facepalm.🤦‍♂️
    But I like how strong Totem Pokemon were.

I don't like how X-items now boost the stat by 2 stages instead of one. Way too broken.

I'm still in the middle of finishing my Pokémon ultra moon game though :
    I finally made it to Alola's Pokémon League Elite 4. Lol.
    Battle versus Kahili. First thing that happens: She defeats my Eevee in one hit with Brave Bird. Of course…
    …. Then my level 55 Espeon proceeded to sweep her team after using Calm Mind 4 times. 🙂 Me and my cheap moves. 🙂 Grew 2 levels in the process. I also used X Defense and Max Potions. Seriously, these items make this game too easy. Why are potions even allowed in battle? It's never seen mid-battle in the anime. With potions, you don't even need attacks like Recover or Morning Sun. So I had my Espeon forget Morning Sun, and learn a different move. 😆
    And X Defense now rises defense by 2 stages. 2 stages! 😂😂😂 After using X Defense 3 times, Brave Bird was only taking away 31 hit points from my bold Espeon. It did get one critical hit in and took 173 hit points, but luckily for me that was after I used a Max Potion on my Espeon, so my Espeon survived it with 7 hit points left.
    This game has no challenge whatsoever now. 😂😂🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_7886.jpeg
      IMG_7886.jpeg
      3.2 MB · Views: 0
    • IMG_7887.jpeg
      IMG_7887.jpeg
      3 MB · Views: 0
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Names Generation 7 as a personal favorite. A few positive things:
    • Broke up the usual flow (and namely, the usual strategies) with Totems. Showcased some fun doubles moves (Helping Hand on Wishiwashi, Heal Pulse on Alomomola, Sunny Day on Castform). Makes the allies a threat in their own way. Prepared for opening Z-moves with Protect and Disguise. Also gave most of them EVs, typically towards survivability. (Example: Salazzle with 132 in Hitpoints, 126 in Defense, and 252 in Special Defense.)
    • Might be the first time giving trainers (and Totems) EVs in the main story. Comes out swinging too. Supercharged Ilima's Pokemon (levels 8 and 10). Set Smeargle's IVs to 31 for offenses + Speed and 15 for the others, plus 252 EVs in both offenses. Makes them more threatening than they would be in games before it (and after, for that matter).
    • Handed Z-moves to the other trainers. Distributed them way more than Megas in X/Y. Hits hard too. Becomes interesting to play around if you are trying to not have any Pokemon faint (or a minimum).
    • Breeding improvements. Set the standard for judging IVs in the box, rather than visiting an NPC. No longer gains levels in the daycare, which could mess up your moves. Transfers eggs right to the box too.
    • A good Pokemon selection, as is common in X/Y onward. Adds decent moves and TMs to this remark too.
    • Multiple optional areas: Ten Carat Hill, Seaward Cave + Kale'e Bay, the area east of the volcano, the small area south of Lush Jungle, Hano Beach Resort, the garbage area north of Malie City, the road south of the Hokulani Observatory, the Power Plant, Haina Desert, Lake of the Sunne/Moone (depending on the version). Left places for you to backtrack to with new Ride Pager Pokemon too, if so desired.
    • Mantine Surf, one of the better minigames.
    • Clothes for customization. Not the best clothes in the series, honestly, but alright.
    • Removed HMs. No longer devotes a party slot to it. (Gives you Charizard Glide at a reasonable time, also.)
    • A small Poke Pelago distraction. Rewards you for catching Pokemon (or at least filling your boxes). Prefers this game's version of berry growing. (Appreciates X/Y's complexity, but not the constant management for good yields.)
    • The best version of the Experience Share. Recalls levels being kind of reasonable, relative to other games with this. May have been more vigilant on turning it off and on, though.
    • One of the games with free Wonder Trade, although now extinct.
    • Introduced Pokeball throwing styles.

Was not bothered by all the tutorials and such. Shrugs. Would not mind a skip button, of course.

Acknowledges some faults too.
    • Wishes for less blatant walls blocking you. Oh no, a knee-high wall! Do more things like the Sudowoodo blocking your path or some natural disaster.
    • Downgraded from the PSS. Made Festival Plaza coins pretty grindy in normal Sun/Moon.
    • Locked half the clothing colors by version. Technically allowed you to acquire them by finding opposite version people in Festival Plaza (at least in Ultra?). Still not an ideal system. Also, no trousers.
    • Finds some ridiculous moves early, more so in normal Sun/Moon. Brick Break TM at level 12ish? Scald at level 20ish?
    • Some weird levels. Points directly at Totem Kommo-o and its allies being too low. Views Ultra Necrozma as a huge outlier, especially with no good grinding spot.
    • Underpowered Totem Vikavolt. Set it alongside a Pokemon that gives it a Special Attack boost, as a Pokemon with strong special attacks. Gave it zero special moves.
    • Slows down in double battles with weather.
    • Can be annoying to catch Pokemon because of the SoS mechanic. Might get a Magby low on health. Calls for help five times in a row. Should have confined it to the Adrenaline Orb.
    • Felt a little too much like a (small) child's TV show in the dialogue at times. Understands children being the target audience. Aimed kind of low in age for that.

Guesses one other reason for enjoying this generation more than most: Found a satisfying level of difficulty for the game with some self-imposed rules. Also built up a huge stable of bred Pokemon. Enabled some interesting challenges. Turned it into a gacha game once (summon Pokemon, buy upgrades). Designed another challenge with a bank of eggs and a system of random effects, ranging from good to bad.

Back