• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: What are your thoughts on Trubbish and Garbodor?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    As per a discussion thread ages back which was part of efforts to spawn a few Daily articles on the Yamper line, let's have another on Trubbish and Garbodor!

If there's sufficient responses and interesting stuff to discuss, this may be turned into a Daily article. The idea is to discuss this specific species line on any point you want. Any neat trivia you happen to know? Thoughts on how well it's designed, or how it could be improved? What about Garbodor's Gmax form, one of the few non gen-1 or gen-8 Pokemon to receive one? How useful were they during your run of the games? Cuteness rating? Talk about anything and everything to do with the species!

Also:
    • I'll get a thread up asking for your suggestions on nicknames for Trubbish or Garbodor! And your thoughts on other nicknames[/URL]!
    • Have fanworks featuring the line? Threads are up in the Writer's Lounge and Art section - submissions will get featured in a dedicated Daily article and on PC social media (with credit, of course)!

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
    Alright, time to put my genfifer nostalgia blind goggles on.

Even if this line is literally garbage, they are still definitely better than Grimer and Muk in my opinion.
    Trubbish is kinda cute, not gonna lie, I know I am insane, I'll rate it a 7/10 on the cuteness scale. Garbodor gets 4/10 though.
    It was neat to see Garbodor get a G-Max form, although I still wish that more Gen 2-7 Pokemon did as well.
    I've never actually used it on my team, although I was thinking about it on my recent playthrough of Pokemon White 2, I decided to go with Krookodile instead.

Years
    • Seen today
    I usually ignore them. It's nothing against trubish or garbodor, but poison without an extra typing is something I don't like having on my team. It doesn't feel useful, especially before the inclusion of fairy types. Even then, I'd rather have a steel type.

Years
    Since I almost always have a Crobat in my team one way or another, I've never found the need to get another Poison type, which is why Pokemon like the Trubbish line almost always get ignored.

They look pretty cool, and the idea of having a literal trashbag as a Pokemon is pretty wacky, but it ain't really enough for me to pay attention to them y'know. I don't love them or hate them. They're just...there.

Years
    An interesting line for me: I used to detest Garbodor with a passion. Back in gen 5 I thought it was the ugliest Pokémon in existence and couldn't bear to look at it. It was a disgusting overflowing garbage bag with mad eyes and rat ears. It was hideous and I recoiled from the sight of it.

But now that time has passed, I've gotten used to it. I even find its ugliness slightly endearing, which I think is the point of the design: it's so ridiculously trashy, unsanitary and visually unpleasant that you have to laugh at it. It's supposed to be goofy in its ugliness. Being in Camp, Refresh an Amie where it can smile and act like a playful puppy really helps it shake off the hideous monster image that it was stuck with in its gen 5 sprites.

Also, I just recently realised that its arms are hoses for spraying poison (and not ropes), which is a very cool design detail - 3D models really help in seeing these things better.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Disliked upon initial release but Trubbish kind of grew on me. I prefer Trubbish' more neat design. I don't really rate Garbador. Cool concept, a bit lazy in execution. At least in my opinion.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Truth be told I've been fairly indifferent on them. I've never used them, but I'm not against its design, such as Ambipom. I mean, its gen 1 counterpart is just animated sludge - there's specific design details making up Trubbish and Garbodor that make it more interesting to me.

I keep wanting to write Garbodor as Garbador - probably because of the word arbage.

squideyes

Squiddy
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 12, 2022
    Eh, they're fine to me tbh. I don't really use them. I also don't see them as eye-candy, but they aren't complete eyesores, either.

Years
    I think that it is well designed taking into consideration what was it's purpose, Trubbish is called the trash Bag pokemon in the pokedex and it makes sense because it was intended as a representation of the pollution of the region. Garbodor is the logical evolution of trubbish and it is solid as a poison type pokemon. Rating them on cuteness level Trubbish is kinda cool so i'd give it a 5/10, Garbodor on the other hand gets a 3/10 because it is more intimidating than cute.

Last edited:

Raffi

Greatest Trickster
    Years
    Trubbish is kind of cute, even if that's maybe a morose thing to say. I'm indifferent towards Garbodor, but I don't hate them. I'd use them if I had an idea for them on a team!

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2023
    I think they get more hate than they deserve. They're not bad designs for...literal garbage. Would I ever use one voluntarily? Nah, but I don't really like poison types anyway.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    I actually like both of them! Yeah sure they are based off garbage but Trubbish and Garbodor are nicely executed and feel like monsters. Trubbish is ugly cute and I do like how the trash piles act like arms and I do like how Garbodor is asymmetrical with its cute little dust bunny ears.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't have anything particular against them, it's just one of those Pokémon I would probably never use because it doesn't caught my interest. A pure Poison type allways felt like something I saw no reason to bother having on my team (except Weezing literally because of Levitate). Thankfully the inclusion of Fairy type somehow improved the situation, but still Poison isn't top priority on my teams, and if I want one, there are way more interesting dual Poison types out there.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i think they are gentle and kind..........very friendly...........i have always liked them........they are Cute.........i carry them....in my arms..............

Years
    I'm not a big fan of them. I don't really care for object based Pokemon, and the Trubbish line isn't that interesting for me even though I like a lot of "weird" Pokemon.

Bug

[b][color=white][font=Luminari]can't talk. i'm shi
    Years
    I think they're almost ironically endearing. I'm definitely biased because of my love for Unova, but the shock of seeing them for the first time on route 5 has always stuck with me. They're obviously kinda funny looking, and I love that!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I've never understood the hate. People who hated on them's only reason was that they were "literal garbage Pokemon" which I found annoying. I find Trubbish and Garbodor creative, and will always say that they have a reason for existing, so.

Back