• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What criteria do you have when selecting your Pokémon for your playthrough?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Of course, this is more so directed to players that prefer to use different teams in each different Pokémon game they play. My question is essentially what the motivating factor behind the team you select? Do you select based on your favorites online, Pokémon you believe are the best battlers, favorite designs, and so on?

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    When starting a new playthrough, I generally look for Pokemon that can fill certain roles within the party, like Physical Attacker, Special Attacker, Tank, Speedy Pokemon, Status-using Pokemon, and the last slot is generally to balance out the types from the first 5 Pokemon. I do this in order to add more variety to my team comps and try out Pokemon that I would never think about trying. For example, I generally don't like Ghost or Dark Pokemon, but I've had good success with using Ghost and Dark Pokemon as my tanks or revenge killers.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Priority list for playthroughs of new games:
    1. New Pokemon (including regional forms). Wants to discover how these Pokemon handle. Already has a general idea of the older ones.
    2. Design. Prefers a team of good-looking Pokemon to strong ones.
    3. Type. Fills the last few spots to help out the others. Eyes the design still.

Dropped Pokemon for massively underperforming or being trade evolutions before, though.

For second+ playthroughs (when able):
    1. Something different. Wants a new experience. Why repeat what you already did? Allows some previously used Pokemon, provided they did not feature heavily.
    2. Design. Almost started a Fighting monotype just to use Hitmonchan. (Never did. Expected Hawlucha to thrash everything again. Used Hitmonchan in a different playthrough, fortunately.)
    3. Gimmick. Does it have an interesting ability? Picked Castform for a solo on this reason.
    4. Type. Dislikes having type overlap. Usually winds up favoring one over the other.
    5. Role. Likes one setup support (screens, Charm/Eerie Impulse, Baton Passer) and at least one sweeper as of late. Takes whatever beyond that. May prioritize this over type at times?

Years
  • Design. I usually just throw stuff I like on my team.
    Once I actually have half a team I'll start looking at types as well, to prevent overlap if possible as I like variety. I'll go with overlap still if I like a mon enough though.

Years
    • Seen today
    I consider different aspects:

Had that Pokémon on a previous team?
    No 👍 | Yes, but long ago | Yes, recently 👇👇

Design?
    Like 👍| Don't like 👇

Is it from one of my most liked types?
    Yes 👍

Is it legendary, thing with insane stats, or some other kind of overpowered Pokémon?
    No 👍| Yes 👇| It's Mega Rayquaza 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Repeat types?
    No 👍| Yes 👇

Is it a super popular Pokémon that I'm tired of seeing everywhere?
    No 👍| Yes 👇| It's Charizard👇👇

Can it take care of things that previously decided members have trouble dealing with?
    Yes 👍| No, doesn't seem like doing much than what other Pokémon on the team is/are already doing 👇

Growth rate?
    Slow/Fluctuating 👇

So, the more Ups and the less Downs, the more likely that Pokémon would end up on my team.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I consider different aspects:

Had that Pokémon on a previous team?
    No 👍 | Yes, but long ago | Yes, recently 👇👇

Design?
    Like 👍| Don't like 👇

Is it from one of my most liked types?
    Yes 👍

Is it legendary, thing with insane stats, or some other kind of overpowered Pokémon?
    No 👍| Yes 👇| It's Mega Rayquaza 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Repeat types?
    No 👍| Yes 👇

Is it a super popular Pokémon that I'm tired of seeing everywhere?
    No 👍| Yes 👇| It's Charizard👇👇

Can it take care of things that previously decided members have trouble dealing with?
    Yes 👍| No, doesn't seem like doing much than what other Pokémon on the team is/are already doing 👇

Growth rate?
    Slow/Fluctuating 👇

So, the more Ups and the less Downs, the more likely that Pokémon would end up on my team.

I absolutely love this answer. lol

One question though, what constitutes an overpowered Pokémon to you?

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • We use always Pokemon that were introduced in those games, but beyond that there's not really any guidelines we follow but sometimes we'll try to use lesser picked or lesser loved Pokemon. Recently we've also started using more unevolved Pokemon if we prefer their unevolved stage to their evolved stage.

Years
  • - does this pokemon look fun for me to use?
    - does this pokemon fit well within the rest of my party (whether it be typing wise/balance of phys/special attackers/etc)?
    - is this pokemon good for (post-game battle facility)

that's... about it, really!

Years
    • Seen today
    I absolutely love this answer. lol

One question though, what constitutes an overpowered Pokémon to you?

It can vary from game to game but... anything that undoubtedly has superior strength overall compared to what the main game trainers have access to. See:

Legendaries if available (although many are locked behind post-game to prevent this) because trainers don't have them either.
    Pseudo-legendaries, since you only fight one or two at the Elite Four.
    Most Megas in X/Y, since there's like only three trainers in the game that actually use Megas.
    Gift Pokémon like the free Jirachi in BDSP.
    Other Pokémon with superior stats and/or specific gimmicks (like Aegislash) that I feel are too much for an in-game playthrough. Also Pokémon that can be obtained early and easy and might be ridiculously powerful for the early game, like having a Gyarados at level 20 when most of the opposing trainers are still using first stages.

So it depends on the game and what the AI does. I avoided megas in XY, but I did use Dynamax in SwSh because since it's a mechanic we can use in battle against trainers that also use it, it doesn't feel like an one-sided advantage.

Years
    • Age 19
    • she
    • SC
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    I'm not too strict with what goes on my team; as long as it looks cool and doesn't overlap both types with anything else on my team I'll consider it. Also, if I'm playing a new game, I like to use a team of six new Pokemon.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I generally go with whatever looks cool and / or I haven't used in the recent past. If I'm doing a challenge or themed run or something like that I'll take those restrictions in mind as well, and maybe make a few more strategic decisions (like getting Cosplay Pikachu in an Electric Monotype because of the Ice move) but in general I just kinda vibe.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I try and have a themed team for each playthrough, usually a monotype team but not always. If more than six Pokemon meet the criteria to include in my team, I prioritize, in this order, unique type combinations, good movepools, early availability, and good base stats. I also prefer catchable Pokemon to Pokemon gained as gifts, with the exception of my starter.

Years
  • For me, in the first new gen playthrough I'm usually always using new Pokémon only. So each time a new generation comes out I'll pick a few Pokémon I like from those that are announced early and fill the rest with new gen Pokémon as I play through. Basically what happened with Scarlet recently. I refuse to use new ones this time around at all during the story - will pick them up once all of it is done instead!

Otherwise, for any replays or playthroughs of remakes/non-new gens, I just pick things that are fairly cute or cool but also strong. Big fan of Pokémon like Ampharos, Raichu, eeveelutions, Ribombee, Mienshao, Whimsicott, Lycanroc (all forms), and things like that. Basically just a preference thing for me if the game is not a new gen. ❤️

Years
  • Typically anything new that looks like I could vibe with it and doesn't match the types I already have on my team. I'd be fine with one overlap, maybe two, but not more than that.

Years
  • When playing a new game, I like being "blind", so I get the water type starter and then I proceed to catch pokemon that inspire me by their typing. I also try to find out how to evolve them on my own, if I don't know how. I tend to not change them for the main adventure, because, most of the times, whatever team goes just fine. When replaying an older game, I tend to choose my team beforehand and I obviously try other pokemon, except for the starter which will always be the water type lol.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
  • My biggest criteria is whether or not it complements the rest of my tea well. I almost always make sure to not use repeating types. When it's a new generation I also make sure to use almost nothing but new Pokémon so I can become more familiar with the roster. My proudest in-game team to this day is my first Moon version team. I used Decidueye, Lycanroc-midnight, Salazzle, Wishiwashi, Klefki, and Oricorio-pom pom form.

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I run off three questions in descending importance
    1: Does it have a new type? I already have a water type, so I'm not using another one.
    2: Does it look good. I'm never using Venomoth, because it bores me.
    3: If this Pokémon were to suddenly be put in a TV show with the rest of my Pokémon would it be a good character. This is why I always go for Ludicolo.

Back