• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What generation is this Pokémon from again?"

Years
  • Have you, or do you ever have...

- Moments where you can't remember what generation a certain Pokémon is from?
    - Additionally, is there a Pokémon that you just think looks like it's from a different generation than the one it was actually released in?

Or are you a fan that remembers more clearly what generation each Pokémon is from?

Spurred by someone telling me they think Skarmory looks like a Hoenn Pokémon. I can see that personally, but as far as knowing each mon I can clearly remember which gen each one was introduced in!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I originally skipped gen 4 and only got back in gen 5 (White 2). So when I encountered Drapion in those games it kinda established itself as a gen 5 Pokemon in my eyes. Only years later I realized that it actually was introducted in gen 4. xD

Years
  • here are some pokémon that i thought were from a different generation:

wooper- i thought it was from gen 3. apparently not.
    buneary- is not a gen 6 mon.
    gligar- this is probably because of gliscor.
    togepi- the anime made me believe it was from gen 1.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    pretty sure I can at least remember which generation any given Pokemon is from (though I suppose I'd need to test that), but Gen 5 is a big blank spot in the memory of one of my sisters, so 9 out of 10 times when she's like "what game was this one from" the answer is Gen 5 lol

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    it wasnt until last year that i found out skarmory is actually a gen 2 pokemon, it just made way more sense to me for it ot be a gen 3 one lol

Years
  • I don't memorize Pokemon by generation so I quite often get what gen they were introduced in wrong if I don't look it up.
    A very persistent one is Victini though. I keep thinking it's a part of the gen 4 mythicals, but it's gen 5.
    Mythicals in general are blurry to me though as I was missing most of them till the ORAS distribution... where I still ended up missing several.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Remembers most of them, probably. Would be most likely to mistake Generation 4 Pokemon to be Generation 5. Spent the least time in Generation 4.

Gets a bit fuzzy on Bug Pokemon. Typically ignored them and never saw them past the first hour in their debut generation. Figured out the correct generation for everyone with some thought, though. (Why were there so many Bugs in Generation 3? Did they really need Beautifly, Mothim, Ninjask, and Masquerain in the same generation? Bears such similar silhouettes. (And also Volbeat/Illumise.))

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Spurred by someone telling me they think Skarmory looks like a Hoenn Pokémon. I can see that personally, but as far as knowing each mon I can clearly remember which gen each one was introduced in!

Yeah, as Emerald was my first game and Skarmory stands out when you encounter it I thought it was Gen III. Magcargo too, because when I played Gen IV they both also turn up near Camerupt and Claydol at Stark Mountain

togepi- the anime made me believe it was from gen 1.

Togepi and Wobbuffet for me!

I also thought Sudowoodo was Gen III because his episode is one of the first ones I remembered clearly, then I encountered one in Battle Frontier.

I was always painfully aware I couldn't have Meditite in Emerald but it was Gen III (it seemed a beast for Brawly), but I know a few people figured it was Gen IV due to its availability.

I skipped two gens before coming back with Sword so there was some confusion there - I still think Skwovet is Gen VI

CZL

Years
  • when i was younger i always thought aipom was at least gen 4 but it's gen 2.. i think a lot of gen 2 pokemon look way newer

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • Gens 6 and 7 are kind of a blur to me because that's when the depression hit so I mix up those Pokemon from time to time. As a kid I thought a lot of Johto Pokemon were Hoenn Pokemon because of how my first game was Emerald while being rare in HGSS (like Skarmory).

Years
    • Age 19
    • she
    • SC
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    I almost always seem to think Pincurchin is from gen 7 rather than 8. Maybe I'm mixing it up with Pyukumuku?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Found myself thinking the other day that the Solosis line was Gen. VI while running around Reflection Cave. Took a moment to remember that it was Gen. V.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Any Gen II Pokémon that was in Emerald is a candidate for this for me. I was super familiar with the first 151 via the anime and TCG, but didn't actually play a Pokémon game until Emerald- and I think I just didn't catch the first two seasons of Johto very much? So they are hazy for me lmao. Specifically I thought Slugma, Chinchou, and Skarmory were Gen III for a long time. Always mix up which of Azurill and Azumarill were intro'd in III as well; I just assumed for a long time that all the babies were Gen II. Wynaut as well.

Corsola I always knew was Johto but certainly feels better for it to be in Hoenn, doesn't it? There's a few others like that. Shellos of course shoulda been in Hoenn, but it is what it is.

Mystiqo

Meowstics are cool
    Years
  • The game that introduced me to the series was Pokémon Platinum (Gen 4). I thought Sneasel, Aipom, Houndour, and Ponyta debuted there for the longest time.

YET...! Munchlax feels like a Gen 2 Pokémon to me.

Back