• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if spinoff games from here on out were to moved to mobile?

Years
  • I'm sure some of us miss the good ol' days of console spinoff titles. With the recent announcement of Pokemon Masters, it really does beg the question when we're going to see our next console spinoff again. The last one that was announced was Pokken Tournament DX, but that was more of a port of an existing game than something new, and Pokken Tournament itself was released a year prior (in 2016ish?).

What if that was the last of Pokemon console spinoffs? Do you think Pokemon spinoffs should transition more to mobile?

Last edited:
    Years
  • NO.

There is a new console right there to do this sort of shit on, please don't devolve it to mobile gaming because that's already limiting potential for the game as it is.

Years
  • My dream would be a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to be released on the Switch. I vastly prefer a console game as opposed to a mobile game, where the battery is more of a factor for me. I tend to play on the lowest settings on a phone just so I would not need to recharge a phone more than once a day.

Years
  • Not at all, and I do miss the good ol' days of when spinoff games had their own stories. The Switch is more than capable of portability, so going mobile for the sake of being on the go is not an excuse.

ps new orre game pls

Years
  • i really don't like playing games on my phone (even the mobile games i do play, i play on an emulator) so i'd greatly prefer if they put spinoffs on console. a switch pmd game would be nice!

Years
  • same @ mobile not being the way to go

I'm not sure if it's just my attention span or what, but I've never successfully tried to get into mobile games for any extended period of time, and this isn't even limited to Pokemon mobile games, either! Non-Pokemon mobile games like Wizards Unite and the kingdom hearts mobile game I struggle to really get into, and at some point I downloaded Dragalia Lost only to never really touch it again.

I'm the type of person that uses my phone for internet browsing and general communication, and my phone doesn't hold my interest nearly long enough for it to be used on any extensive gaming session. Huge respect to people who can handle that sort of thing because I can't, haha.

But yeah, there definitely should be more attention on the console side of the things because it seems to me that mobile gaming is a congested market these days. What could be the most popular app of tomorrow could very quickly fade out of existence in a few weeks simply due to waning hype. Pokemon Duel iirc was an example of this very thing that people got into just for the hype, but I've not met one person IRL that plays Duel and I almost always see people playing GO around my area. It's a very hit-or-miss market, and every Pokemon game so far that hasn't been GO has mostly faded from people's minds shortly after their release. Magikarp Jump is also a good example of this as I hardly see it being discussed not just here, but also in general these days.

Who knows where Pokemon Masters would end up. Maybe it'll be in a similar boat as Duel and Jump. I think that TPC is trying to create another Pokemon GO-type phenomenon, but I don't think that's really any reason to apparently desert consoles for mobile.

Years
  • nope. for now, I think smartphones aren't that capable yet. I mean, they can, if pushed. but it doesn't really offer anything new. the switch is already portable as it is. plus more controller options

Years
  • I could definitely see some smaller spinoff games like Pokemon Quest and Picross continue to be released as eShop exclusives on the Switch, and it wouldn't surprise me if we've got another Mystery Dungeon game by the end of 2021.

The only problem with Nintendo having just one main console now is that while I don't think spinoffs are going to go away completely, but they won't want to overshadow the main series games, so we might be lucky to see one or two a year at most.

Years
  • I could definitely see some smaller spinoff games like Pokemon Quest and Picross continue to be released as eShop exclusives on the Switch, and it wouldn't surprise me if we've got another Mystery Dungeon game by the end of 2021.

The only problem with Nintendo having just one main console now is that while I don't think spinoffs are going to go away completely, but they won't want to overshadow the main series games, so we might be lucky to see one or two a year at most.

How would you feel if The Pokemon Company only released spinoffs on mobile and ditched consoles entirely, though?

Years
  • How would you feel if The Pokemon Company only released spinoffs on mobile and ditched consoles entirely, though?
    I guess it would all depend on the quality of the games they'd be putting out. I mean, you probably couldn't pull off a game like Mystery Dungeon or Pokken on mobile without stripping a bunch of the features, so it would be a real shame if they moved that way full time. That, and it'd be a big middle finger to Nintendo, ditching their console aside from the main series games.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I definitely wouldn't mind it, but I do agree Nintendo shouldn't make this the only platform for spinoff games in the future. Sure, Game Freak has nothing to do w/most of the Spinoffs, but I do think if they continue making mobile only spinoffs, it could hurt the Pokemon Company.

Years
  • I'd rather not; we have enough Pokémon mobile games that have IAP. Titles like Mystery Dungeon are ones I think would shine a lot more on Switch/console, since there are way less limitations. Let's keep mobile to the very simple games like Shuffle and Magikarp Jump.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    The last "proper" spin-off game is Detective Pikachu and they've already announced a sequel. Granted, that has more to do with the movie than the game's limited success.

The last spin-off game I genuinely enjoyed was XD. I like adventure games, but Detective Pikachu was made incomplete for the sake of the movie and possible sequel. Not cool considering its lengthy development (4.5 years).

Last edited:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Eh. I don't mind the mobile games and I loved Magikarp Jump, but this definitely wouldn't work for something like Mystery Dungeon. I see Pokemon as having two "tiers" of spinoffs, the one-off games based around a single mechanic which I would have no problem playing on mobile, and stuff that's much closer to a main series game, which should under no circumstances get crammed into mobile.

Years
    • Seen today
    I wouldn't mind seeing Pokemon Snap on mobile, making use of the phone camera.

Also if it meant getting a Gale Of Darkness sequel, then I would take it in anyway possible since I don't see it happening.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    It'd be a wasted opportunity not to have another Ranger, PMD, Snap, Pokepark, etc for people who bought a Switch for SwSh. Think of all the potential hype and profits made from say, a Colosseum/XD remake alone.

Last edited:
    Back